Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Fever? Housing Quandary Forcing Alternate Living

Will the RV future market explode with sales as the housing quandary worsens?

Will people in mass start looking for alternate living beyond stick built, sky high property taxes, cost that choke the rich, etc housing?

Home ownership is really getting to be a sick stomach for many people as they try to maintain and keep their precious home. Government laws for home selling rules are quickly making home selling a nightmare. I recently sold a home and at the closing, the broker told me of future government tests and history documents. Test that include sewer cameras. A camera goes down through the toilet and must video the entire path all the way to the street. Soil samples, inside carpet samples, air samples, etc etc etc.

Seller cost for all of this gov stuff: $2,000 to $2,500 plus everything else that can easily total thousands. It's a ripoff.

Well, as we all know, it's getting totally nuts to buy a home, own a home, maintain a home, etc.

Many are looking for quality alternatives. Will RV'ing be that alternative? What else provides immediate living necessities with all the basic needs? Along with that, you get: Freedom from property taxes, Mobility, huge variety of choice, etc.

Can you imagine RV parks with say 1-2 thousand sites? Not just a few dozen? Shopping Mall and Wal*Mart type parking lots filled with RV'ers.

People who are sick-n-tired of crawling in a house and starring at the walls. People who want choice, who want freedom, who want to live and escape oppression. People who are no longer willing to spend every last dime on a house for what?

Someone asks: What does the Motorhome mean? I replied, "It is Freedom." I heard that from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie when that question was asked of Captain Jack Sparrow. What does the Black Perl mean to you? Why is it so important? He replied with something like: "It's Freedom man, Freedom." Freedom to go wherever you want.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think we have to imagine it Batman, I think it's already happening. Our observations as we've looped around the country and just reading posts here on this and other forums sure seems to support your theory.

It really is amazing though how long the real estate gravy train lasted. For decades it seemed that if you were to beg, borrow or steal enough for a down payment you couldn't go wrong. I know this might not have been the case in every part of the country but from this California Boy's perspective it sure was until about 2006. Much has been said about the crazy inflation in Calif real estate but I owned my home from 1984 to 9/2009 and would have gotten a far greater return had I put my money in a 4% CD!

I'm guessing the pendulum will continue to swing until housing costs are deemed just too attractive to pass up. That's actually why we're full timing right now. I retired. Stick house was too big for just the two of us so we were going to down size anyway but I think the market is still headed south so we're full timing with one eye on the real estate market and will buy again when I feel it might be turning around. Quite a way to mark time while we wait.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Well I am one that got hit so hard that I just bought an RV to live in full time. I am excited though, I have wanted to do this for years and as I have no retirement money anymore I'll be able to "get by" instead of flushing my money down the toilet of a landlord.
ufomanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Hi
Ufomanm
Bought a Class A two months ago. In case I need to sell our
home, we will have something to live in until we decide what
to do. Or perhaps a bigger MH.
This administrationis set out to destroy this great country.
Best wishes, good luck.
Fred Rubio from Pasco, Wa. A friend of Bill W.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Not sure if this is true, a friend looked into the Cap and Trade bill. He said, if you sell your house it has to be up to all of the latest codes on energy use. Examples would be, water heater, windows, insulation, energy efficient appliances, furnace/AC, all would need to fall under the Government ratings set by them of course in order close on the sell! $20k-$35k to sell your house.

Scary things are happenening, glad I have a motorhome to go to just in case!
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Hi
Safari 1
I guess I'm not the only one thinking this way. Some people
think I'm extreme. But some of them have double the retirement
money than I do.
It's not like I have a lot of bucks to support a MH, but If this
country tanks any further, my MH will beat sleeping in my car.

Fred Rubio from Pasco, WA.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #7

We just returned from a 8 week loop into Canada (Stampede week), followed the Rockies South to Yellowstone NP, then back to IN. With a few exceptions we noted that most RV parks were partially filled with permanent setups. Much more so than-say, 5 years ago, and_ fees are up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote