Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

RV fire early warning system

I have created an RV Fire Early Warning System. We became concerned following a friend's early morning RV fire during which he got little warning and barely escaped. Then I looked into RV fires and found "National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimates that 20,000 RV fires occur annually".

The system uses an Arduino micro-controller to receive input from a total of 10 sensors. It has 6 sensors that are located at the top of all the spaces where a fire might start. I also put in a set of sensors to watch the freezer and frig temps. And, I added sensors to report the current temp and humidity. It reads the current temperature and then stores the highest temperature it has sensed since the last time it was restarted. The program monitors the temperature and when it exceeds a "set point", it will alarm and turn the back-light from green to red and sound a very loud alarm. Even if the current temperature returns to below the set-point, the back-light stays red so that if you are gone and return you will know that something alarmed and can look into it. Pushing the reset button restores the back-light to green and starts a new record of "highest temp seen". It can be seen in operation here:

I have reprogrammed it so that all the sensors show up on one screen and stays there long enough to read them better. I had to resort to "one-letter" designations for each space to get everything on the 20x4 LCD.

It worked well on our 4-day dry-camping trip from which we returned yesterday. The outdoor water heater (on propane) sensor let me know it exceeded its first set-point of 115 and reached a high temp of 128. I moved the set-point to 135.

I will add three sensors that will not show up on the screen until they go into alarm condition. Those will monitor propane, carbon-monoxide, and methane if found in the bedroom.

beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nice! are you looking to market it? Are the sensors wireless or hardwired?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

According to RVIA, there are over 10,000,000 registered RV’s in the US. 10,000 represents 0.01%. I don’t think I’ll loose too much sleep over the fire risk.

I’ll let my insurance company worry about it.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nicely done
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
According to RVIA, there are over 10,000,000 registered RV’s in the US. 10,000 represents 0.01%. I don’t think I’ll loose too much sleep over the fire risk.

Thanks for putting this into perspective.
OK fire alarms, detectors. I have 4 Kidde detectors that are electronically linked together, when one alarms- all alarm at the same time.
I don't know how the one in the engine bay will hold up though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Want more info...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post

It is not meant to protect your RV.
I hope your insurance agent is there to wake you up if it happens.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Want more info...

You can find the whole project here.
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...tor-7d76be?f=1
Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Nice! are you looking to market it? Are the sensors wireless or hardwired?

Nope. Open market parts. A link to the project is posted on another response. Sensors are wired using a one-wire sensor for the alarm sensors. The temp/humidty sensors (not needed for the alarm) are not one-wire so need there own wires.

I will add propane/methane/carbon monoxide detectors to it on the next iteration.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2016 there were over 350,000 home fires with over 2,700 deaths. You better put one of those systems in your sticks and bricks.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for sharing the details. Looks like it was a fun project for you figuring it all out.

I can fondly remember when I had the energy for fun projects, now I have to hire the energy.

I'm going to share this with a friend who is full of energy.Let him practice on his then fo the good job on mine.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Community Administrator

That is pretty cool ( pun intended ). Thank you for sharing this project with us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #13

Nice little project!

Got some questions:
Audio Alarm?
How LOUD?
Does it sound off before Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide/LP Detector?
(They alarm off of fumes/vapors rather then heat)

Water heater sensor.......???
Water heater uses a 130*F t-stat to stop propane heating (normal occurrence), has a High temp t-stat that trips DC to water heater if temp reaches 170*F (normal backup set point should t-stat fail)

Majority of RV fires are from smoldering electrical wires, oil fires in engine bays, brakes/oil etc.

How many places are you going to place temperature sensors.....which only will detect actual fires

RV Fire.......GET OUT RUN AWAY AS FAST/FAR as you can
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #14

alarm

Nice write up and project,think I'll give it a try!Glad you're in VB,close advice......Ron Sparta Va
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire