Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
JWB

RV for Sale (too good to be true?)

2002 Country Coach Affinity for only 47k
http://www.morervs.com/search_detail...adinfoid=26010

Contacted seller and got this response: I’m in Fort Collins, CO and the motorhome is here as well. I paid an advertising company to handle the listings for me. They said they listed it on several locations, websites, newspapers and magazines in order to increase my selling chances. I'm really sorry for that, but it's not actually my fault.

I'm planning to use Amazon Simple Pay for handling this transaction. This means that they hold the payment in their company account until you receive, inspect and accept the Affinity.

I can have it shipped anywhere in the 48 lower states. If you want to come and inspect it here I will take some time off and help you with that, but only after we go through the Amazon protection. I have to do so because I have a firm contract with them.

From the moment you take possession there will be an inspection period of 5 business days. I'm confident that you will love this RV, but if for any reason it will not please you, a full refund will be issued. Again, I'm sure this won't be the case, the coach is in perfect shape.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Seems real fishy to me? Anyone else have any thoughts or have seen something like this before?

thanks, JWB

JWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Scam scam scam!

I'm planning to use Amazon Simple Pay for handling this transaction. This means that they hold the payment in their company account until you receive, inspect and accept the Affinity.

I can have it shipped anywhere in the 48 lower states. If you want to come and inspect it here I will take some time off and help you with that, but only after we go through the Amazon protection. I have to do so because I have a firm contract with them.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

The listing has the RV in Florida and seller says it is in Colorado. Maybe you have to send half the money to Florida and the other half to Colorado.......by way of Canada or Mexico.
NEVER, ever send money anywhere without physically inspecting the vehicle, either by you or your personal representative/employee, and assuring it's authenticity and ownership. I don't care if the thing is gold plated. If a seller truly wants to sell his vehicle he would not set any pre-financial conditions for you to inspect the vehicle; and if he insists, I'd walk away.
Once your money is out of your control it is gone............for good.
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Scam!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB View Post
2002 Country Coach Affinity for only 47k
2002 Country Coach Affinity, Boca Raton FL

Contacted seller and got this response: I’m in Fort Collins, CO and the motorhome is here as well. I paid an advertising company to handle the listings for me. They said they listed it on several locations, websites, newspapers and magazines in order to increase my selling chances. I'm really sorry for that, but it's not actually my fault.

From the moment you take possession there will be an inspection period of 5 business days. I'm confident that you will love this RV, but if for any reason it will not please you, a full refund will be issued. Again, I'm sure this won't be the case, the coach is in perfect shape.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Seems real fishy to me? Anyone else have any thoughts or have seen something like this before?

thanks, JWB

I just had the same thing happen on a web site called FreeHorseAds.com
The following is the response I got back from one inquirey. I tried two more ads and got back the same responses only one wanting the deal to go through EBAY and the other was GOOGLE. When I notified the web site about these ads, they closed it down.

Hi,
>
> I'm writing you regarding my 2004 Featherlite 3-Horse Slant 4' Weekend pkg LQ Living Quarter. The price I'm looking for is $2,400.00. The trailer is in perfect condition, there's not even a scratch on it. Everything is shining and looking brand new.
> I am desperate,I need urgently money because my little girl has a big health problem.
> I only deal through Amazon so if you're interested in purchasing let me know. Also let me know if you need any more info on this wonderful trailer or if you have any other questions of any sort.

I m sorry but I can't call you..right now I m out of state with my job. The trailer is located in UT at the shipping company ,like i told we will use Amazon,so we can both be protected and insured.The price for the trailer is $2,400 with shipping included.The trailer it's in perfect conditions! I just need your full name and your full address so Amazon can send you the invoice in which you`ll see how to make this transaction.The shipping is free i will take care of it and i will send the trailer with all the papers ( vehicle registration, warranty papers,transfer papers etc ) i am just waiting your full name and address to complete the shipping papers and start the delivery process..
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

Not sure where you are - but for a bona fide buyer for a $47K price ticket I would happily take off work any day, LOL.

That said - I would NOT put any money down or commit to buy unless there is a satisfying pre-inspection [that I would pay for] done. If I have to cough up money before he is willing to make the time to let me see the RV, no thank you.

I can see a potential sellers POV too - probably getting his share of inquiries and time wasters, tire knockers or wishful thinkers and wants to make sure you are for real and can afford to buy.

Talk to him some more - pick up the phone and call rather than email. Ask for more pics and maybe for a video clip walk through and around, prior to making the trip there to see it in person. If he is not willing to do so - there is your answer then.
DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Scam scam scam!.
What he said... /\

By any chance did the seller mention he was a Nigerian prince? Don't waste your time and definitely don't waste your money.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

I had this happen when we were looking for an RV, advertised locally but when I sent the email, the guy alleged he was in the AF stationed in Washington and about to ship out, so he needed to sell quick. No problem, and what a coincidence - my son happens to be stationed at the SAME base in WA, he'll come look at the coach and inspect it for us, let me know what squadron you're in and he'll give you a call to work out the details.

Surprisingly, I never heard another word from him. Huh.

It's a scam. Anyone that will only ship is scamming you.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Absolute scam, went through the same thing with a friend of mine, he went with it as far as having them send the invoice. They did, sent it email, Sure looked official, finally got him to contact Amazon directly with the invoice number, and Whaaalaaaaaa, no such invoice. Such a surprise

THis one was on Craigs list, Miami, and the motorhome moved from Miami to Kentucky when they discovered that someone in Miami could come look at it. same scenario, send 10,000 to amazon and they hold it until we are happy. Glad he finally believed me!
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Internet Auto & RV Scams 3: How they work
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
This coach is listed in multiple places, here are a few I found with a quick Google. Not unusual to find one listed in multiple websites, I do question it's change of location from Florida to Ft. Collins, CO.

2002 Country Coach Affinity Florida Class A MOTORHOMES FOR SALE
Country coach for sale - Yakaz For sale
Motorhome Hunter FREE Classifieds - Hunt, Gather and Buy new or used Class A Motorhomes

Just for 'fun' you should contact seller and say, "It's in Ft. Collins? Great, I've got a trusted mechanic that can check it out for me that lives in Boulder." If they hem and haw, RUN.

The price sounds low to me, NADA says low price is at least $135 K (I didn't take time to list options)
2002 Country Coach Affinity Series M-505HP-CAT 42' DBL SLD Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Sorry.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds "scammy" to me.

As topdownman quoted, on one paragraph the OP states he is "planning" on using Amazon Simple Pay, and in the next paragraph he states he has a contract with them.

Duh!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've never heard of Amazon acting as an escrow agent. There are a lot of scams out there and this sounds like one. I'd pass on this offer.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
JWB

Thanks all for the support, wanted to share so others can see and avoid!
Trust in the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is!"
JWB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale