Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #1

RV furniture Reupholstery Cost

I rent my rv out through American dream vacations in Houston and am needing to get the furniture reupholstered. This includes 2 captains chairs, a dinette and a love seat. They gave me a $5k quote which I thought felt pretty expensive. They claim the reupholstered furniture would last 10+ years even while being rented out frequently. Anyone here have a good sense for what it should cost or a recommendation for someone to call in Houston for a quote?
Goose06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Check with Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches,TX they had a booth at a rally a couple of years ago featuring updating RV interiors. As to cost, I just got a quote to recover the 2 dining chairs in my coach that have fabric on the seat cushion as well as a band around the back by a local upholstery shop last week, it was $150 per chair plus fabric. I plan to comparison shop, but that is a starting point.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #3

I too live in H-Town and have been pondering some interior work. Will keep an eye on this thread.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #4

Most of the cost is material. Labor can be pretty cheap. 5K for everything sounds reasonable to me. I spent 1100 just for a hide a bed couch a few years ago. But again we picked some really tough material.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is the $5k for "they" to remove & reinstall as well as re-upholster? If so, it's in the ok ball park. Good quality material (e.g. real Ultraleather or Naugahyde) is expensive and there's quite a lot of labor involved too. Ultraleather costs run north of $70/yard even at discount sources and the shop probably charges more than that.

If this quote is from an RV dealer or RV remodeler, their labor rates are going to be high. You could probably save a bundle if you (or a handyman helper) did the R&R and took the furniture to the shop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

If you have Flexsteel captains chairs you can order new ultra leather covers for $400-500 each. We had an estimate of $1200 to recover an EZ bed/sofa. Cost will vary based on fabric. We opted to replace the EZ bed with a different model. Not sure what is involved with your dinette, but seat and back cushions are a fairly easy DIY project.

With a little sweat equity you should be able to complete the project for half of the $5K estimate.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

That sounds like an awfully high figure but I've never had it done. Where are you getting the quote? There should be a local upholstery shop in the area that specializes in auto work. They would probably be your best bet.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

I was quoted 1500.00 for our jackknife sofa and love and 450.00 each for the Captains chairs. This is labor only
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If you have Flexsteel captains chairs you can order new ultra leather covers for $400-500 each. We had an estimate of $1200 to recover an EZ bed/sofa. Cost will vary based on fabric. We opted to replace the EZ bed with a different model. Not sure what is involved with your dinette, but seat and back cushions are a fairly easy DIY project.

With a little sweat equity you should be able to complete the project for half of the $5K estimate.

With Flexsteel out of the RV seat business I don’t believe new covers are available anymore.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

From what I have read yes Flexsteel has flexed it finger to any support of RVs. completely. Maybe another source may buy up any left over parts or patterns . There must be a stockpile of at least newer captain seat parts.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

The two captains chairs are Flexsteel and the materials cracked and looked terrible. Tried to buy new covers from them directly but they had just shut down servicing RV parts. Called the Tiffin service and they had some of the same material I could buy but it was the same stuff that failed. Tried to get prices locally from auto trim shops and they were guessing on how much work it would be and not knowing what the final cost would end up. Went to a airport only trim shop and had them recover the front seats with a airplane approved wool and vinyl material. They turned out fantastic, much more comfortable than the original but was pricy, $3,000 for the pair. I removed and took them to the shop.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

I went into a local Auto upholstery shop to get a quote. $1600-2000 for the captains chairs, another $1600-2000 for the sofa. Throw in the dinette and it’s close to $5k.
Goose06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #13

I just had two captains chairs, dinette, and jack knife couch done in Alabama for $3200. Any upholster can do the work, search for independent shops.
Fischse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #14

Anything near 5k dollars seems ridiculously high to me. For that kind of coin, I could replace all my furniture. Heck I only paid 1200 CAD for a whole new sofa bed...about 800 US.. Reupholstering two of my dinette cushions was under 200.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture