Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
In a week or two we begin building our retirement home -- yeah, who cares. BUT, I'm also building a 40x50 shop for the RV and some old cars. I have a few questions.

1. "RV drain inside the shop causes odors," says my contractor. What say those who've done it?

2. The RV side will have a 12' wide by 14' tall garage door installed to roll up completely out of the opening, yielding a 13'10" opening. For those who've done it, any reason to go to a 16-foot tall door? My rig is 12'9" tall and 8'5" wide, so the 12'x14' door will work for me, but what about resale? Any rigs out there that need more than 13'10" of opening?

3. I'll have a RV pad outside the shop for visitors with 50a power, but what about inside? Do I need 50a inside when I'll likely never run the heat pumps while inside in Idaho. Maybe just 20a to keep the batteries topped off, maybe 30a? For those who've done it, have you seen the need for 50a inside?

4. Most importantly, what am I forgetting?

Thanks y'all, you're the best.
I have a large garage for my rig and since you are building it, do it right. I have never had a sewer smell, never. It does require a p trap and a vent.

50 amp power along with a bunch of 20 amps is the smart way to go. I also leave my rig plugged into 50 amps when I'm not using it.

Hose bib completes your full hookup garage.

Max rv height is 13'6. I also have a 14' opening so zero issues.

Make sure you have a good amount of led overhead HO lights. I have one in the front and back, a couple directly over the roof and a couple on each side that are out away form the opened slide.

FYI, your house washing machine is not sealed as the drain hose sits inside it, any odor?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #44

My sidewall is 12' but the 3:12 roof slope puts the top of the gable at 19.5'
Old 04-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #45

If has a P-trap and is vented properly you won’t have problems. Also install a water tap and 50A outlet. You won’t regret it. We lived in the motorhome inside the pole barn for over a year. I like the width you choose but I would extent to 56 ft.
dvidrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the ceiling height, I built 16' high.
I am short and if I am parked with the air dumped I can barely walk under the steel trusses. With jacks down and coach elevated the slightest I hit my head, with air up I bang my head.

Should have gone 18' high but that's water under the bridge.

I live in rural E TN, county building inspector was for both the new house and the garage was good to deal with. Since my metal garage was bought from a reputable company only had to show general design to get a permit, they did the install so the inspector just asked to let him know it was complete so he could sign off. Nothing was said about drains in the floor, the drain near the RV dump goes to my septic so I am careful about not letting oils go in there.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:01 AM   #47

We built a RV home in The Gardens in Crossville, TN. Every home has an RV garage, and they all have full hook-ups inside the garage. Some even have hook-ups on both sides, so it works for either a coach or 5th wheel. No odors at all. What I have observed is the older homes had smaller garage doors and now they are being re-done when the house is sold to accommodate larger rigs and it's a major pita to find workers to do it right now. So, YES, it will matter at resale and it doesn't cost much right now to get a bigger door! We did a 90' garage, with a 14h x 16w door. We have plenty of room to back in a coach, and extend the sides. Another thing every garage has is a powerful exhaust fan. We are building out a workshop in the rear, with a bed/bath/storage above it. We planned for the I-beam that we installed with a hoist to get things up to the storage area. We have a large gas heater that is mounted from the ceiling. We are adding a big workshop sink on main floor. Small, linked, LED strip lighting down each side of the bay puts out an amazing amount of light. Good luck with your build!
williamsda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #48

RV Garage, let's talk about it

Many different priorities for many different individuals.

- Build in 50 amp for later.

- No P trap to minimize risk when dumping

- Small odor out the roof vents when barn closed up and dumping

- Screw cap on dump

- Drive through if possible. Allows for 12' wide doors

Many will disagree, but I had occasion to loose power in house and utilize coach generator until power restored. 50 amp outlet when coach park allowed for this. But, had to keep doors open. (great neighbors)

Put in a mechanics pit. 5' deep worked. Buddies and I used it many time for repairs, oil changes, car repairs, etc.

When initial building, it is not the time to minimize.

When I ask individuals if they built their barn too big, you can guess the answer from everyone.

Ed
edroelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #49

Our home has a 76 x 19 insulated RV Port. 16 ft ceilings with LED lighting and 36 Inch exhaust fan Three windows and Garage door is 14 by 14.
Two 50 amp with breakers and two 120 volt receptacles. One at back and one at front for pull in or back in. Two 4 inch sanitary connections and two water bibs. All is plastered. Back 10 ft x 19 ft is A/C and heated Shop with stairs for over head storage.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #50

Spartan Chassis
I have a 40 by 60 garage with water 50 Amp electric and a sewer dump hook ups. The sewer has a screw in cap for when not using. The door is 16x16 but I could have gotten away with a 14 ft since I am 13'4" high. I also have a full bath so, if I am working on something that gets grease, sawdust, or just dirt on me, I can clean up before going inside the house. I have 2 RV pads on the property with full hook ups. (50 amp)
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsda1 View Post
We built a RV home in The Gardens in Crossville, TN. Every home has an RV garage, and they all have full hook-ups inside the garage. Some even have hook-ups on both sides, so it works for either a coach or 5th wheel. No odors at all. What I have observed is the older homes had smaller garage doors and now they are being re-done when the house is sold to accommodate larger rigs and it's a major pita to find workers to do it right now. So, YES, it will matter at resale and it doesn't cost much right now to get a bigger door! We did a 90' garage, with a 14h x 16w door. We have plenty of room to back in a coach, and extend the sides. Another thing every garage has is a powerful exhaust fan. We are building out a workshop in the rear, with a bed/bath/storage above it. We planned for the I-beam that we installed with a hoist to get things up to the storage area. We have a large gas heater that is mounted from the ceiling. We are adding a big workshop sink on main floor. Small, linked, LED strip lighting down each side of the bay puts out an amazing amount of light. Good luck with your build!
We need some pictures of this when you get it done!
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #52

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edroelle View Post
Put in a mechanics pit. 5' deep worked. Buddies and I used it many time for repairs, oil changes, car repairs, etc.
Ed
That's the one thing I might consider adding if I was building another one. I currently have a garage with a car lift so I likely would only use the pit for the RV. I have 20 ft ceilings inside so I can stand up on the roof without hitting rafters. I also bought an electric scissor lift for working on the roof so I don't have to climb a ladder. Works well for washing and waxing my RV as well.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #53

LOL, EV's use far more than 240v, 50A. We have a Model S Tesla and any Tesla will take up to a 90A 240v breaker, meaning it will actually charge at 20% less, so it will charge at 72A. Tesla Superchargers can push through 200+ amps.
rdibbxsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdibbxsh View Post
LOL, EV's use far more than 240v, 50A. We have a Model S Tesla and any Tesla will take up to a 90A 240v breaker, meaning it will actually charge at 20% less, so it will charge at 72A. Tesla Superchargers can push through 200+ amps.
Fascinating. Are you aware that the discussion is about an RV garage?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #55

Kid Gloves makes a valid point in that EV power requirements are about twice that of a 50A RV. Very few developments can meet power requirements for multiple EV owners in the same development. My RV garage has it's own 200A breaker box and I paid a premium to have 400A service.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #56

I think Mike is about 2 yrs out.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote