Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question RV gen use

i have an onan 7500 gen in my 98 discovery.in the event of a power outage at home can i use the gen to power household appliances[ heaters and refers]? if so,what should i do?
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

You can simply run an extension cord to a light, refrigerator, or other necessity. Attempts to energize your entire household must only be done with the proper switch gear. Feedback to the grid can be deadly to those working on what they thought was de-energized lines.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What gruelens said X2.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrandusky View Post
i have an onan 7500 gen in my 98 discovery.in the event of a power outage at home can i use the gen to power household appliances[ heaters and refers]? if so,what should i do?

Yep! You sure can!
Just try to limit the length of your extension cords to as short as possible.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Yes you can-but. Your generator is 120v only so some things you can't power. If you want to do it right have a Gen-Tran or other brand transfer switch panel installed next to your house breaker panel. Then have a 50a plug socket wired into the Onan otherwise you will be restricted to using 15a outlets and extension cords. A 50a cord to connect the two and you can have access to the full output of your Onan through your house wiring. It will be a bit costly but if you need something like that go for it.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

This question is asked over and over and the replies are to be listened to and all saftey measures followed.
IF you have a RV then just move over into it and use an approved extension chord to power the fridge in the house to save food.
It will take days for the home to drop to freezing and then it would take an extended period pf time to cause any damage.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You can get a transfer switch kit that will allow you to use your generator for some of your house power needs. Just google transfer switch kit and you will get all the info you need. I installed one in my Mom's house last year, and it works great. Not as easy as they say, but not extremely hard to do if you take your time. If you are afraid of or never did any electrical work, I recommend an electrician do it for you.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #8

After Hurricane Charlie hit Fort Myers Florida and surrounding areas my wife and I drove our 97 Discovery, loaded with water, can goods, some clothing and all the tools I had nonstop down to help my elderly parents cope. Their home was structurally intact, only missing some windows, the carport and a small roof area where a large tree came crashing down, however no electricity. I ran a cord into their home for fan, oxygen generator and refrigerator power. I supplied power for almost 5 days. Having the Discovery also allowed me to repair the house, remove the tree, and completely remove the remnants of the carport so when the building inspector showed up he could certified the house safe.

So to answer your question YES it can be done, however keep in mind safety at all times.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I ran my house with a 7500 for a week after hurricane Charlie. I have since installed a transfer switch and can run all 110V circuits (within reason) not to exceed 50 amps, or one 220V with the Onan. Worse that happens is the circuit beaker on the Onan trips. That will happen if all refrigerators and freezers happen to kick on at the same time.

It was easier to stay in the MH and run just the essentials in the house. LP hot water vs electric in the house, smaller area to cool or heat.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrandusky View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't. Too much trouble. Too much danger if you do not know what you are doing. Just stay in the MH. If it's during the summer, you will not have air in the house, but can in the MH.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #11

While we do have an 8k generator in the MH, we also have a 5k stand alone generator for when the power happens to go out. There are no reason not to power some things in the SB with the MH generator, just remember to shut off the in coming power breaker. For those in the colder climates, I would be making sure that I have heat in my SB to prevent water pipes from freezing. There could be a lot of expense to repair broken pipes. For us, we still have the wood stove in our SB just for the time that the power is out for extended length of time.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote