Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2023, 07:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Now that is a good reason not to power your house with an RV toy.

My emergency plan included flash lights, candles, and board games.

Did not have a generator when camping either with small kids. No TV either.
One thing that's needed is my furnace, unfortunately the 7 month old cannot be covered with a blanket do to safe sleep/sids. With my current set up, the furnace could not be reached or powered. Here in the MI winter, it's a necessity now with babies. But I can and do appreciate the concern!
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2023, 07:14 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did this year's ago during a prolonged outage (1990's). I learned that I could run my oil furnace OR my microwave OR my deep freeze. One at a time!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #17

Don't think I can argue with you there about the code.

In my case, during construction, I wired my entire house, had it inspected for code compliance before I moved in, and had the advice and assistance of a very experienced electrician on the proper way to install the wiring and safest way to connect to the generator..

The only difference between my arrangement and the very expensive Generac automated systems is that I don't have an automatic transfer switch.
I did install a sub panel that powers the essential circuits in my house so that I not only throw the main breaker but the breaker to the sub panel as well for double isolation.

I did the homework, understand how the system works and how to safely disconnect from the grid, and connect the generator. Over the years that set up has saved me thousands of dollars in losses from spoiled frozen food, basement flooding, and frozen pipes, along with the inconvenience of not being able to get water from my well..

All without risking anyone's safety.

I would strongly recommend that anyone considering this type of thing needs to do their homework and understand the setup, or hire professionals to avoid injury to themselves, anyone else and or property damage.

Safe travels and All the best
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
Don't think I can argue with you there about the code.

In my case, during construction, I wired my entire house, had it inspected for code compliance before I moved in, and had the advice and assistance of a very experienced electrician on the proper way to install the wiring and safest way to connect to the generator..

The only difference between my arrangement and the very expensive Generac automated systems is that I don't have an automatic transfer switch.
I did install a sub panel that powers the essential circuits in my house so that I not only throw the main breaker but the breaker to the sub panel as well for double isolation.

I did the homework, understand how the system works and how to safely disconnect from the grid, and connect the generator. Over the years that set up has saved me thousands of dollars in losses from spoiled frozen food, basement flooding, and frozen pipes, along with the inconvenience of not being able to get water from my well..

All without risking anyone's safety.

I would strongly recommend that anyone considering this type of thing needs to do their homework and understand the setup, or hire professionals to avoid injury to themselves, anyone else and or property damage.

Safe travels and All the best
No interlock, no safety. Interlocks are cheap, too.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #19

Not sure why an RV genset is considered a toy for emergency use.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #20

I use the RV generator because it can run for days on a tank of gas.

My portable needs attention every few hours.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
One thing that's needed is my furnace, unfortunately the 7 month old cannot be covered with a blanket do to safe sleep/sids. With my current set up, the furnace could not be reached or powered. Here in the MI winter, it's a necessity now with babies. But I can and do appreciate the concern!
Make sure your CO and smoke detectors are in working order. There is one crib level for the granddaughters.

Got a funny MI ice storm story. My car pool guys were eating lunch and one of the guys complained about how long his power was out. We all looked at him, our power had been restored in hours. Did you call it in we asked!

I had an all electric house when I lived in MI. I had a wood stove installed that did not need electricity.

Got some funny PA wood stove stories. I arrive on midnight shift and the reactor engineer tells me I was right. About what? Cleaning the chimney so the fire department does not pay a visit.

Then there was Glen the farmer down the road. Like to lecture me about nuclear safety. Then he had a chimney fire.

Everything has risk. The risk you need to consider is killing you children or someone else.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Because it is designed for recreation.

As a division officer on a nuclear ship I was responsible for emergency diesel generators, inflight refueling of helos, and leading the helo crash detail.

There are cases where losing power is an emergency. Keeping your beer cold may seem like an emergency until you are doing CPR because you had to keep your cold.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I agree that it's not a toy. A generator is equipment that can provide electricity when you need it for heat, cpap, well pump for water, food preservation, ect. I think most people would understand this.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
No interlock, no safety. Interlocks are cheap, too.
What does an interlock do that my throwing the breakers doesn't??
I honestly don't understand why I need an interlock...
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
What does an interlock do that my throwing the breakers doesn't??
I honestly don't understand why I need an interlock...
It takes the human factor out of the process. Maybe you are contentious enough to throw the breakers correctly 100% of the time, maybe you aren't.

The linemen working in crappy conditions trying to get the power back on should not be betting their lives on it.

Buy the interlock that code requires.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
I agree that it's not a toy. A generator is equipment that can provide electricity when you need it for heat, cpap, well pump for water, food preservation, ect. I think most people would understand this.
That is why I didn't respond till now.

Played this internet game long enough to know others would chime in.

A wise man once said, never assume you are the smartest guy in the room, especially when you make outrageous statements and think your resume is bigger than his/her's.

I do agree that if one's life depends on something, get the near very best and have redundancy. My background certainly preached that.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
It takes the human factor out of the process. Maybe you are contentious enough to throw the breakers correctly 100% of the time, maybe you aren't.

The linemen working in crappy conditions trying to get the power back on should not be betting their lives on it.

Not only a moral question, but also a legal one if anything bad happens.

Where I am living now with a friend, I told her I agree that being careful is good enough till it isn't. I have had 2 careers where thinking you never make mistakes could be a fatal flaw.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post

This, exactly. ^^^^^^

Plus, unless you live alone, others are involved. So even if you are perfect *every single time*, someone else might not be. And none of us are perfect every single time, particularly when under stress or tired or both.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator