Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

RV GPS Recommendations

Good morning all! In search for a RV GPS; I see various models such as the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S and the Rand McNally RV Tablet 70 on-line. After reading the write-ups and reviews, still unsure which would be the best direction to take. Thoughts / suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Harleykirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

I have used Magellan for years and have the one for RVs. I like it a lot. Plenty of built in info. I just happen to be in a very small minority. I also use paper maps, but that's just me.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleykirch View Post
Good morning all! In search for a RV GPS; I see various models such as the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S and the Rand McNally RV Tablet 70 on-line. After reading the write-ups and reviews, still unsure which would be the best direction to take. Thoughts / suggestions welcome. Thank you.
I suggest you run two different GPSs. I have an old Garmin 478 and bought a new 770. There are different capabilities of each and sometimes I question the routing of the 770. The 478 gives me a check on this. Note the 770 considers height, weight and length so there might be good reasons for routing variances but there have been some illogical routings which the 478 caught.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We have an old Rand McNally RVND7710 which does a pretty good job. When it quits I will probably go with the Garmin.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We like our Rand McNally and download to it all the updates once a month. Had it from new and find it is accurate.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I loved our old Rand Mcnally 7710. It was retired only due to an unfortunate meeting with our tile floor.

We were in the middle of nowhere when the old GPS met it's demise, with few options. We ended up with a Garmin 770. While servicable, it is no where near as intuitive, user friendly or informative as the old Rand was. As I can't bring myself to stick a working $400 piece of equipment into early retirement we'll just soldier on with it for a few more years.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
I’ve got the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S and am very happy with it. This week it routed me around two low bridges. Saved me time and potential damage.
2016 Chev Silverado 3500HD DRW
dck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a big fan of my RVND 7720 from Rand McNally
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I'm a big fan of my RVND 7720 from Rand McNally
I just bought one from www.FactoryOutletStore.com

249.99 with free 2-5 day biz day shipping.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
jrs

Funny I was just researching this today! Based on previous research I'm thinking of buying an Android 8" tablet and the Sygic app (either Truck or RV - likely Truck). Good comments from iRV2 posters in the past. Sypic uses the same mapping program that Garmin uses (HERE). Can get mounts too for the tablets (haven't researched that yet). Google Sypic Trucks for more info. Like the Trucks due to better features (like added propane). Also thinking of adding lowclearances.com to it also (based on posi comments via posters). Seems like people like Sypic vs Copilot.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Funny I was just researching this today! Based on previous research I'm thinking of buying an Android 8" tablet and the Sygic app (either Truck or RV - likely Truck). Good comments from iRV2 posters in the past. Sypic uses the same mapping program that Garmin uses (HERE). Can get mounts too for the tablets (haven't researched that yet). Google Sypic Trucks for more info. Like the Trucks due to better features (like added propane). Also thinking of adding lowclearances.com to it also (based on posi comments via posters). Seems like people like Sypic vs Copilot.
Research the tablet mount well. I bought a RAM mount for my 9.7" iPad. The bracket itself was great but the flexible arm not so much. It was in constant motion due to road vibrations. Very annoying watching it move around.

I changed out the flexible arm for a rigid mount and screwed the base of the rigid mount to my dash.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Research the tablet mount well. I bought a RAM mount for my 9.7" iPad. The bracket itself was great but the flexible arm not so much. It was in constant motion due to road vibrations. Very annoying watching it move around.

I changed out the flexible arm for a rigid mount and screwed the base of the rigid mount to my dash.
Thanks..... looks like they have good stuff
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the Garmin 660 which is basically the same as the 770 and we have been using it for 2 years with no complaints.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

Welcome to the forum. Their are a lot of great people here and tons and tons of information.

Here is a link to a search of IRV2 for previous threads with the same question.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22R...=11&gws_rd=ssl

550 threads are a lot to go through and GPS technology changes rapidly, but between the great responses you already have and popping through a few of the more recent threads will probably have you pointed in the right direction or running around in circles like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

Tags
gps