Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #29

Haha, keep my weapons on my at all times. I would not be able to walk around with that much weight. I agree with cabby, securely stowed.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #30

I know for theft purposes that a permanently attached safe would be best. But what about a digitally locked pistol case? Not permanently attached. It would be a bit of a chore (but not impossible) to get it open but it could be walked off with. Would this pass LEGALLY as a locked space to have the handgun in? I do have a concealed carry permit.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I know for theft purposes that a permanently attached safe would be best. But what about a digitally locked pistol case? Not permanently attached. It would be a bit of a chore (but not impossible) to get it open but it could be walked off with. Would this pass LEGALLY as a locked space to have the handgun in? I do have a concealed carry permit.
If it is not within the reach of the driver or passenger is the standard explained earlier.
This is why glove boxes and consoles are prohibited. They are within reach of the driver/passengers.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Thread Warning

Please recall that the Community rules require:

Quote:
...keep your comments limited to the topic at hand.
and

Quote:
General posting or discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions or posting about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Posts here have already been removed for these CR's. Please comply with the rules in future posting.

Thanks for understanding.
Steve as iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have a lockable pistol case in my truck that has a cable you wrap around the seat frame. I lock my pistol there if I'm going into a location where I can not carry, post office, court house and such. It can't be walked off with unless the cable is cut.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg View Post
I have a lockable pistol case in my truck that has a cable you wrap around the seat frame. I lock my pistol there if I'm going into a location where I can not carry, post office, court house and such. It can't be walked off with unless the cable is cut.
I have the identical safe...believe me....that cable ain't stopping anyone.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #35

Many responses are confusing the issue. First, besides Federal Law and various State laws there are different laws for hand guns and long guns. Second, the discussion will vary if we are just talking about being legal vs being safe from theft.

In most states as long as a long gun (rifle or shot gun) is not loaded it is legal. As far as hand guns, if you have a permit to carry it is legal to be on you or near you and loaded. If you do not have a CCW then in most states it must be unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove box or center console. As long as the hand gun is unloaded and in a locked container it can be in the living area of the RV. This all applies only to when you are a moving vehicle and not parked and a sleeping home. When parked the laws to a weapon in your home apply.

Now if you want to prevent it from being stolen, as a responsible gun owner should, then you need a safe that is secured from being removed from your RV, just like you do at home.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #36

Way too many fingers in the pie here! If you are going to carry a firearm in your rv...then you better do your homework for the states you'll be in...it's up to YOU!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would have something custom made. Many of the law enforcement carriers and gun safes are either made to fit in a truck or SUV. You don't say how many long guns you'll be carrying. If it's more than two or three, you'll be using a LOT of your storage, just to store guns. If it is two or three, I would find some aluminum square tubing that will hold each gun, like 4x4 or 5x5. Have them welded together and then add some mounting tabs. Add a hardened pin at both ends with a padlock or even a hitch lock. Once it's constructed, cut some long strips of felt and line the interior. Stuff a piece of foam in with each gun to keep it in place.

You could also make individual units, using the same tubing and bolt it to your frame rails in your main bay. Bolt it in such a way that you have to reach into the tube to install the bolt. Then add the locking pin.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
Before I get flamed, be advised I received approval for this subject from an administrator.

Federal law requires transport of fire arms in a compartment separate from the passenger compartment.
While this is easy to do with a hand gun, it is rather more difficult to do with a long rifle.
What I need is a gun safe that
A. Fits in the basement
B. Is long enough to hold rifles
C. Opens on the end with a drawer that slides out for access.

Please, no leave your guns at home replies. As this will soon be my home. As a responsible gun owner I wish to make sure my guns are properly secured.
Is it possible for you to quote the federal law you are talking about?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
(nope)
FL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
The Federal Firearms Owner's Protection Act of 1986 dictates gun transport rules across state lines. Basically it states a firearm must be unloaded, locked in a case and away from direct access and the possession of the firearm must be legal in the point-of-origin and point-of-destination. FOPA protects transport of the firearm through the intermediary places provided access and storage is honored above.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #41

I believe that the Federal law in question is known as FOPA, the Firearm Owner's Protection Act. In my opinion, it is not a requirement that you must generally follow, but a law that protects interstate travelers from local firearm laws when transporting firearms from a state where it is legal to possess and use them to another state where it is also legal to possess and use them WHILE traveling through a state where it is not otherwise legal to possess or use them. However, in order to gain the protections of the law, the storage elements of the law must be followed.

An example would be traveling through NY state. The key though, is traveling through. Stopping for anything other than fuel, food, or bathroom breaks can leave you unprotected from the FOPA law. Stopping at a tourist location for sightseeing, or spending the night, legally terminates your "traveler" status and leaves you open to local laws and regulations.

As others have said, COVER YOUR BUTT BY KNOWING THE LAWS. Here is FOPA...

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 44 › § 926A- Interstate transportation of firearms:
"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console." (Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

In my opinion the original post was right on point with being able to comply with the storage requirement for FOPA protections. A locked box inside of a bay storage and not accessible from the passenger compartment.

I personally like a lockbox or safe that can be bolted or mounted inside of the coach (https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/g...den-gun-safes/) for the majority of the time when camping in a state with reasonable firearm possession and storage laws, and hard sided portable case(s), with an integrated lock or that can locked with a padlock, to be put into the bay storage during those times when necessary to comply with FOPA or a certain state's or locality's laws and regulations if one needs or chooses to be there.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the law has pretty much be identified and most know how they're firearms need to be stowed to be legal. The thing that is getting a little goofy here is "passenger" compartment. The purpose of the law stating not in the passenger compartment, is to prevent someone from throwing a gun onto the back seat and being out of reach. "Passenger compartment" was intended for cars, not RV's. Consequently, the "passenger compartment" in an RV would be the front end of the coach. As an example, in a Class C, the opening where the van portion was cutaway would end the passenger compartment. A Class A would be anything from the back of the front seats forward.

With that said, having a firearm in a living room or bedroom, would not be considered the passenger area. If it was secured (locked) in the above two areas, it would further reinforce that it was not in the passenger area.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote