Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
RV Hoarders

I could sure use some pointers here. My love likes to keep everything. You know those plastic containers that you use to put leftovers in for the fridge or a friend. Well before we left for the season in Oct I counted 28 of various sizes. I tried to convince her we don't need that many but of course they are still here taking up space. BTW, we haven't sent anyone off with a container of whatever and in the fridge the most I have counted at one time has been 3. How do I get rid of 20 of them without upsetting the Co-Pilot?? We also have 10 coffee cups, a set of dishes we never use and at least 12 pots, pans and fry pans.

Am I the only one who is subject to this?? I was thinking of starting a show on RV Hoarders.

Lets hear your story and hopefully how you fixed the situation.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

A wise man will pick and choose his battles. There are worse things than 10 coffee cups (although I can't think of anything.) Another suggestion would be to go on an overnight backpacking trip. Helps to learn what is really needed. Reality TV can very profitable for the chosen few that make it on the air.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Try and get her to agree with a rule I follow. If I haven't used it in one years time, I probably never will, so I Goodwill the extra items and take a tax write off. Sure saves on the useless clutter! BTW, there are a few exceptions to the rule (like tire changing tools), but very few.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I could sure use some pointers here. My love likes to keep everything. You know those plastic containers that you use to put leftovers in for the fridge or a friend. Well before we left for the season in Oct I counted 28 of various sizes. I tried to convince her we don't need that many but of course they are still here taking up space. BTW, we haven't sent anyone off with a container of whatever and in the fridge the most I have counted at one time has been 3. How do I get rid of 20 of them without upsetting the Co-Pilot?? We also have 10 coffee cups, a set of dishes we never use and at least 12 pots, pans and fry pans.

Am I the only one who is subject to this?? I was thinking of starting a show on RV Hoarders.

Lets hear your story and hopefully how you fixed the situation.
One at a time spaced out at 2 week intervals... as for the coffee cups and pots and pans....you are on your own there.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

We got "robbed".
Sometimes the dogs eat stuff.
LOL
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

I've been through this myself. I got her to agree to get rid of all the containers. I then bought ones that are all the same size, thus they stack and take a lot less room. As for coffee cups, we have cut down from 6 to 2. We are trying to use disposable cups as an alternative. Also, went to 4 dishes and bowls, using paper plates and bowls. No washing cups, dishes, or bowls. We decided to keep only as many pots and pans that will fit in the oven for storage. Now for the disclosure statement; we have not left for our 3 month trip, so she has plenty of time to load things back in. It's a never ending battle. Of course I have my own problems, tools, camping gear etc.
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

Well every year we do a total clean out of our M/H. So if we have not used it for the year get rid of it. We even do that with our clothing. I the wife wants to stay mobile ,husband on the other hand wants that to, but we move up the coast and I about died. It took our car, truck and the motor home. Now in my book that is not being mobile.

Well we are staying in this place for a long while as I need a double lung transplant.so tracing right now is to motor home and hospital
sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I told DW about if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it.

She packed my suitcase.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post

She packed my suitcase.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post

She packed my suitcase.

Why is it we always try to change our mates?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Early in our RV life I was losing this battle so every year I took things that were not used and put them in a box and left them home in storage. We went that way for three years and finally my wife was looking in a drawer for something and ask if I had seen it? Well I do not lie to my wife so I told her what I had been doing. An object lesson I thought would point out the problem.

The resulting pain I experienced was enough for me to find a way to get along rather than be so clever.

It is a constant source of vigilance, cajoling, negotiation, accepting, and winning some and losing some. It seems we are not alone.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I clean everything out of my RV every winter as a rule. I empty every compartment, inside and out for a good cleaning. I have a rule that if something hasn't been used in a year, most likely, it's not needed.

I can't stand clutter or not being able to find something when I need it. My wife understands this so she doesn't put up too much of an argument. Little sets me off but junk is one of them.

I don't throw anything out, I just keep it in a spot where I can find it. Eventually it's either put back in, donated to another RV'er or thrown out.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
It's good to know I'm not alone on this. Think I'll write dates on little pieces of paper and tape them in the bottom of each piece I want to get rid of. Then see what happens
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sgtjoe,
The only thing that worked for me was to get the coach weighed. The coach was within 100 lbs of GAWR on the rear axle. I showed her the weight certificate. From that day forward, anything that went into the coach something had to come out of the coach. So far so good.

FYI: If your wife is a grandmother, getting her to not fill every available horizontal space is a lost cause. Something happens to a woman when she becomes a grand mother.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote