Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Insurance: Good Sam vs Name Brands

We put our new-to-us Class C Motorhome on our State Farm policy at time of purchase (March 2022). After getting more educated in "all things RV" -- including joining lots of forums, clubs, etc. -- I'm looking into other options for insuring our 2017 Tiffin Wayfarer.

I called the number on the mailer I received after becoming a member of the Good Sam club. After providing all the info requested by the rep, he quoted me a policy from Integon National Insurance Company. I did a side-by-side comparison of the quote against my current State Farm policy and was pleasantly surprised the see covered amounts matched exactly for:
- Bodily Injury
- Property Damage
- Medical
- Uninsured Motorist
- Other Than Collision (State Farm term is Comprehensive)
- Collision
- Emergency

The Good Sam/Integon National policy allows for savings if the insurer is notified the RV will be idle (in storage/not on the road) for periods of time.

As far as cost, annual premium was about half as much as State Farm's ($683 vs $1235). Too good to be true? Please comment if you have personal or anecdotal experiences to share on this topic.
Yooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #2

Shop them all, we use Progressive and when they up the price at renewal time i call them and tell them i am leaving and they drop the price back down.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
GS will check around an find the best deal for you and your RV. I had them about eight years ago...they kept raising the rates, so I left. It seems all RV insurance companies like to raise the rates just about every year. After GS, I've been with two other companies, like GS they want to raise the rates every year. As a result, I'm now back with GS....and I'll see what they do come renewal time. As an aside, I don't normally go from company to company. I joined a company for auto insurance when I came back from VN in 1968, and am still with them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I just got several quotes for our new MH. Range was all over the place with well known companies ($1500 - 4500/year). Going to go with Good Sam. Not the cheapest quote but their policy offers replacement value on the coach, like an agreed value policy on a yacht. We have always shopped around for rv insurance because rates can vary wildly.

Previously had Progressive. Have not experienced the price increase at renewal others have mentioned.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:41 AM   #5

Progressive through USAA if you are eligible. My premium has remained relatively stable for 4 years.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #6

Companies we have tried all seem to get you in and then keep inching the rates up till you check around and leave for another. We had been with Progressive, Foremost, Allied, and others. They all played the same game. Then three years ago I checked with Geico for a vehicle. They had the best rate and eventually switched four cars to them for a good savings. When the motorhome policy came up for renewal, Allied wanted $2200 for our 2013 43' Allegro Bus. ($250,000 value at that time) Geico offered a $940 rate for the same 250/500,000 liability, full comp and $1,000 deductible for book value plus 10%. In 2 1/2 years we had two windshield replaced @ $3,000 each and they waived the deductible on both. WE sold the coach in Aug. The premium had gone up to $970/year. They even sent us back a refund on the unused premium. I'll still check the rates at each renewal but they continue to be the lowest . My daughter has been with Geico for over 25 years. Time will tell how it goes for us.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Progressive through USAA if you are eligible. My premium has remained relatively stable for 4 years.
Interesting, as when I spoke with USAA about RV insurance, I was told they did not provide that service. Is this a new service, or does it vary state to state?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

We had Progressive through Good Sam. After the first year the rate was going up significantly. Got quotes from several others who were just as high. I saw an ad for a place called RVerInsurance. Got a quote that was substantially lower. Interestingly, it's also with Progressive. Same exact coverage through Rver, was over $900 less than through Good Sam.
https://www.rverinsurance.com/rv-insurance-quote/

We have USAA for a homeowners insurance and I knew they sub out to Progressive so I never got a quote from them. I'll do so next year to see how they differ from what we have now. It was very interesting to discover the vast difference in rates from Progressive depending on the third party broker. Even going direct to Progressive was more than the same policy through Rver. My daughter once worked for Progressive and after I asked her about it, she said this is common but most people don't know about it.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bundled all my insurance with Hartford AARP and saved over $1000 a year. 5 years now and the premiums have gone down each year. Just had a windshield claim so will have to wait 10 months to see if the rates go up.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I believe that Good Sam acts only as an agent (or agency) and will function just like any other broker. They are in the business of selling policies and don't underwrite any actual insurance at all.

Therefore, it may be a bit disingenuous to compare them as if they are an underwriter or insurance carrier themselves.

On their webpage, they actually list the carriers they can write policies for:

Good Sam Insurance Agency

I don't know, though. Am I interpreting that correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good sam insurance.png
Views:	11
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	381638  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #11

National Insurance through Good Sam was pretty inexpensive the first year but blew by everyone else the second year.

So I called Good Sam and they got me Foremost for several hundred cheaper with the same rates (never exactly but close enough). Had an accident and Foremost was GREAT! thy didn't raise my rates the next year either.

Just bought a newer RV and decided to try Progressive though USAA and some of their coverages lacked, but worked it out. Last RV I tried Progressive but they wouldn't insure me because the only road registered motor vehicle I owned was the RV.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #12

My full-time coverage on a 2022 Entegra Accolade Super C with Good Sam (National General) for Dec 2021 to Dec 2022 is $1174. It renews at $1343. While a significant ($169) jump for making no claims, I also found it reasonable for the times and inflation. Next year I'll shop around.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:50 AM   #13

2 years ago National General for me jumped from $1100 or so to about $1800, no claims and low inflation.

I would be interested to see the next year jump (or not).
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #14

You will get a low quote initially but will see your premium rise substantially starting with the next renewal. So you will be looking for new coverage next year. After we ask for a quote from GS our phone and email was spammed to death. We don't do business with anything connected to Camping World. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance