Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #15

It really does help to shop around every two years. They all raise prices after a few years... even if you're a 'loyal' customer. Just remember when getting bids to ask for the exact same coverage with every call you make.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #16

I have Progressive Ins.on our MH, annual premium this year is $684 for $1k ded. That includes all awnings and aftermarket add-ons.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have Progressive Ins.on our MH, annual premium this year is $684 for $1k ded. That includes all awnings and aftermarket add-ons.
My Progressive cost $670 this year. Went up less than $100 from previous 12 months. No add-ons.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
My Progressive cost $670 this year. Went up less than $100 from previous 12 months. No add-ons.
My policy decreased $120 this year, understandable given age of MH. Premiums are based upon what YOU tell your agent your MH is worth, but the ins co. will not pay more than average value regardless.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It really does help to shop around every two years. They all raise prices after a few years... even if you're a 'loyal' customer. Just remember when getting bids to ask for the exact same coverage with every call you make.
100%. They like to slowly raise your rates more than inflation. It also helps massively to not use it unless you have to.

Obviously, if you have a catastrophic accident use it but otherwise for scrapes and scratches just figure it out. They know if you are a frequent flyer when you are shopping. They must share that info behind the scenes.

Keep your credit good and your debt down....
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
When I purchased mine (2015) I got quotes from all of the big names, I have USAA for almost everything but they sent me to Progressive and Progressive was much higher than most other quotes. In any case, I found what I thought would be least likely which is Farm Bureau (you don't have to be a farmer to use them). In any case, I have a declared value policy (which means they pay the declared price agreed upon if totalled instead of the blue book (60k in this case)) and 100/300/100 with a 500 deductible for both comp and collision, roadside assistance and the cost is 656 a year. I may shop around soon and see what other options exists but from what I read here, what I am paying isn't out of line... or I may call them and see if I can save a lot by upping the deductibles. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
When I purchased mine (2015) I got quotes from all of the big names, I have USAA for almost everything but they sent me to Progressive and Progressive was much higher than most other quotes. In any case, I found what I thought would be least likely which is Farm Bureau (you don't have to be a farmer to use them). In any case, I have a declared value policy (which means they pay the declared price agreed upon if totalled instead of the blue book (60k in this case)) and 100/300/100 with a 500 deductible for both comp and collision, roadside assistance and the cost is 656 a year. I may shop around soon and see what other options exists but from what I read here, what I am paying isn't out of line... or I may call them and see if I can save a lot by upping the deductibles. ~CA

My Farm Bureau insurance agent told me FB does not sell specific MH insurance, it will be a modified auto insurance policy.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #22

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Farm Bureau insurance agent told me FB does not sell specific MH insurance, it will be a modified auto insurance policy.

I am not completely sure if I understand the difference. It certainly could be a modified auto insurance policy, one thing I remember being told was that they added a "motorhome endorsement" to the policy, so perhaps it is an auto policy with a motorhome endorsement. Did they happen to mention what the differences would be as that would be helpful when renewal time comes? Thanks, CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
"Price optimization" is a wonderful thing...for the ins. companies. Apparently, there's a surcharge for 'customer loyalty'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #24

It is amazing the choices you all have for RV policies. Literally could only find insurance for our RV with Progressive. Got told today by another company that specifically advertised RV insurance "Oh, we can't do that in Massachusetts." 32 years of driving, literally never had an accident, a handful of tickets when I was young. Wife's record is better than mine. Still, bent over a barrel by Progressive.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I am not completely sure if I understand the difference. It certainly could be a modified auto insurance policy, one thing I remember being told was that they added a "motorhome endorsement" to the policy, so perhaps it is an auto policy with a motorhome endorsement. Did they happen to mention what the differences would be as that would be helpful when renewal time comes? Thanks, CA
I now forget the exact conversation, but he did say they did not cover some things a MH policy covered, I think one of them was valuable contents. Best to speak directly with an agent.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #26

So I called progressive today to confirm the quote with an actual agent and they were able to get me down to $960/year if I pay in full with $1000 deductibles.

I then went back and checked with Liberty Mutual to make sure I wasn't missing something and realized that the deductible was actually $250! So collision and comprehensive coverage with a $250 deductible is $142/year!

Unfortunately Liberty Mutual has higher auto policies than Proressive but in the end I'm still saving by staying with Liberty Mutual...mainly because of the RV insurance.
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #27

Just wait till you have to have a claim with Progressive. They are horrible once that happens. A dump truck opened it's tailgate in front of a car we had and wiped it out. That wanted to treat each individual rock as a separate collision. There were thousands of rocks and they wanted to apply thousands of deductibles.

After the fight was over and it was fixed I dumped them.

You made the right choice.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #28

Insurance rates come from several things

Value of the vehicle
Average repair costs of that vehicle
Driving record
Claims record

Those are the primary ones. I was a AAA member for 25 years and had 5 of my vehicles insured with them for about $5k a year, perfect driving record and only a comprehensive claim with them for a ladder on the freeway vs the from nose of my coach

This year I switched to costco ins and it went down to about $2400 for 4 vehicles (1970 Corvette they wouldn't insure as a classic car $200) and I added the moho on with a stated value of $60k for $180 a year

Tags
insurance