Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #29

We had Foremost on a previous coach, but they kept increasing the premium and went to Allied through Good Sam on our then new 2013 Bus. (Foremost wanted $3,000) For five years, Allied had very slight increases. No problem. Then two years ago they wanted to increase from $1500 for actual replacement cost to $2200. I switched to Geico for $970/year. 30 days later, they replaced a $3,000 windshield and I never got a bill for the $500 deductible. Now two years later, still no increase in premium. I have added three vehicles with them and am considering getting a quote from them for both of our homes, two more vehicles and an umbrella policy. It would be nice to have everything under one roof, especially with a big savings, but maybe that's not a good idea. Have to think on that awhile.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just figured out by dropping comp and collusion for the last 3 years, on my two motorhomes and a 14 year old car I've saved $6500. I haven't had a claim in over 20 years. I've wasted over 50 grand on this coverage.
Insurance is a scam.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I just figured out by dropping comp and collusion for the last 3 years, on my two motorhomes and a 14 year old car I've saved $6500. I haven't had a claim in over 20 years. I've wasted over 50 grand on this coverage.
Insurance is a scam.

I think you were wise to drop the comp & collision on the old vehicles. You don't have to carry it on newer vehicles either as long as your capable of retaining the risk, or are not required by the lender. As far as the scamming, I think you paid for and received protection. Even if you didn't suffer a loss, you were still protected for those 20+ years. We would all be happy if we could purchase insurance only when we experienced a loss, but that aint going to happen.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
$1280 for a non-motorized RV and $1000 deductible sounds insane. However, I've seen some aberrant rates at times, when a persons insurance needs just don't fit well the the company's rate structure. Still, I would inquire of the agent if there wasn't some misunderstanding, e.g. maybe they thought the RV was a motorhome? It's worth asking for an explanation if you are otherwise happy with their offer.
It depends where you live. We are in our 60s, perfect accident free driving for 40+ years and our motorhome premium are north of $1,700 per year, and that is because we have homeowners, RV, and two cars insured with the same company. We have been with progressive for years - it's a LOT less expensive than State Farm or any other major carriers.
Total insurance per year is over $2,100/year.
TRIPLE what we paid in NC for less coverage than we had there.
Probably because of very high loss rates with Colorado drivers.
mhcatsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #33

I have Progressive on our TT and it is less than $400 a year . That is the only insurance I have with Progressive.
wdgpcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #34

I have mine with Geico ($332.00/year)
The insurance companies are NOT in business to help anyone but themselves.
Bob Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hills View Post
I have mine with Geico ($332.00/year)
The insurance companies are NOT in business to help anyone but themselves.
That's where I ended up for insurance on a 2018 travel trailer with Geico. I have car insurance with them.

I got quotes from Progressive, National, Geico, Allstate. The maximum quote was ~$1200/yr and the minimum was $330, all for maximum coverage when choosing all the options. In my state, there is no "agreed upon value", just current value. Geico has a reasonable deal for trailers within the first 7 years of manufacture that is sort of like replacement value.

I wonder if your Progressive quote was for a non-customer vs a multi-vehicle customer?
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcatsco View Post
It depends where you live. We are in our 60s, perfect accident free driving for 40+ years and our motorhome premium are north of $1,700 per year, and that is because we have homeowners, RV, and two cars insured with the same company. We have been with progressive for years - it's a LOT less expensive than State Farm or any other major carriers.
Total insurance per year is over $2,100/year.
TRIPLE what we paid in NC for less coverage than we had there.
Probably because of very high loss rates with Colorado drivers.

I may be misreading this. Your MH annual premium is $1700 and when you add your home and auto coverage it is a total of $2100. That is $400 for your homeowners and two personal autos. Seems remarkably low.

We also have a clean claim record. $2100 for the whole bundle seems pretty decent to me. I'm closer to $3000. Our RV is a travel trailer which isn't very costly and we have a boat which adds about $200/year. The personal auto & homeowners drive the premiums. That doesn't include an umbrella premium.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ki11er View Post
We're currently covered through Liberty Mutual which has a total premium of $157 for the year. This includes collision and comprehensive with $1000 deductible. Unit is stored in covered parking and we use is ~15 days/year.

I am moving my vehicles to Progressive due to a significant savings, but their RV premium is $1280/year. Same collision and comprehensive w/$1000 deductible.

Which one of these is the odd ball?
People get complacent with their insurance. You should shop around every few years regardless of when your renewal date is. Use this as leverage to get your insurance company to be competitive or it's hasta la vista, baby. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples, however.
dtucker300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ki11er View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I’m moving or was moving our two auto policies to progressive for a savings of roughly $1k/year. But when I saw progressive’s RV rate I nearly had a heart attack.

I have two vehicles and a home policy through current provider Liberty Mutual which may be why their RV policy is so low. May keep my home and RV policy through Liberty Mutual and move auto to progressive.

Thanks for the input guys.
Move the RV to Foremost and everything else to Progressive

Best

Doc Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #39

Absolutely no one can compare insurance costs with anyone else. It's all based on each individual... where they live, driving record, credit rating, credit history, accidents, how old you and other drivers are, male/female, year, type of RV and other vehicles, etc.

Compare companies then do it again in two years. They all give a good price to begin with and then slowly increase it. It doesn't pay to be loyal to any one company.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #40
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Insurance...Am I doing this right?

It's true that loyalty nowadays doesn't pay. I've always tend to be loyal and stick to whatever companies I deal with. But, almost always the rates tend to increase every year without any appropriate reason. I just switch my auto insurance from Hartford to Liberty Mutual for a savings of about $250 for a years coverage.

I have Good Sam for my MH but I'll be shopping around come Jul when my coverage ends. LM already sent me a quote but haven't received my renewal yet from GS. Noticed that nobody in this thread didn't mention GS, any reason why that might be good to know?
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Insurance is a scam.
Until you need it. Hope you have a high liability or an umbrella policy incase you ever get sued.
dtucker300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I have our travel trailer with Foremost, $500 deductible at $327 this year.
You get what you pay for sounds way to cheap ?
Starchase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance