Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

RV Insurance...I'm I doing this right?

We're currently covered through Liberty Mutual which has a total premium of $157 for the year. This includes collision and comprehensive with $1000 deductible. Unit is stored in covered parking and we use is ~15 days/year.

I am moving my vehicles to Progressive due to a significant savings, but their RV premium is $1280/year. Same collision and comprehensive w/$1000 deductible.

Which one of these is the odd ball?
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #2

I have our travel trailer with Foremost, $500 deductible at $327 this year.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ki11er View Post
We're currently covered through Liberty Mutual which has a total premium of $157 for the year. This includes collision and comprehensive with $1000 deductible. Unit is stored in covered parking and we use is ~15 days/year.

I am moving my vehicles to Progressive due to a significant savings, but their RV premium is $1280/year. Same collision and comprehensive w/$1000 deductible.

Did you give the correct price for Liberty at $157/year? And you're considering Progressive for $1250/yr for a 'savings'?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:41 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I have Progressive insurance for non-full time RV use and our policy is less than $500 for the year. I have an insurance agent I use for all of my insurance needs and she has served me well versus trying to DIY my numerous policies.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

the $157/yr for just the rv coverage with liberty mutual seems realistic. but i don't know if your are presenting all the facts. do you also have your auto insurance with them? if so i can see the rate you presented for the trailer. if not, that seems to be a pretty low price for stand alone trailer policy. then your price for progressive seems way high if it is for the trailer only. does it also include the truck?

for what it is worth our trailer insurance is $22/mo and our auto insurance (truck and land cruiser) is just over $600 every six months with american family. we also have our homeowners with them and get bundled discounts. there is some coordination between the trailer and the auto policy and between the trailer and the homeowners.

it is also hard to compare auto insurance rates right now with all the rebate programs in place due to reduced driving during covid. some companies quote their regular rates and then send you a refund check. others quote lower than normal rates with the refund amount included in the lower quoted rates.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Did you give the correct price for Liberty at $157/year? And you're considering Progressive for $1250/yr for a 'savings'?
I agree, that doesn't sound logical.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, that doesn't sound logical.
Sorry for the confusion. Iím moving or was moving our two auto policies to progressive for a savings of roughly $1k/year. But when I saw progressiveís RV rate I nearly had a heart attack.

I have two vehicles and a home policy through current provider Liberty Mutual which may be why their RV policy is so low. May keep my home and RV policy through Liberty Mutual and move auto to progressive.

Thanks for the input guys.
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

$1280 for a non-motorized RV and $1000 deductible sounds insane. However, I've seen some aberrant rates at times, when a persons insurance needs just don't fit well the the company's rate structure. Still, I would inquire of the agent if there wasn't some misunderstanding, e.g. maybe they thought the RV was a motorhome? It's worth asking for an explanation if you are otherwise happy with their offer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Iím moving or was moving our two auto policies to progressive for a savings of roughly $1k/year. But when I saw progressiveís RV rate I nearly had a heart attack. .
Insurance can vary a great deal and often with no valid explanation. Let me share my experience of the past month. I have had a 2019 VW Jetta and a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel truck insured with Farmers for close to 10 years. I usually do a price comparison every few years but had been negligent about this for some time. Each year the renewal cost would rise but I just considered it normal, until this year. The premium had slowly risen to more than $3k but this spring the renewal price as $4069! I contacted my agent to complain and they said that they could do a "rewrite" to save me about $1000, but that it would have to wait until a day or two before the expiration of my current policy. As a result I started shopping for other carriers and I got the exact same insurance coverage from Safeco for a price of $1800. When Farmers finally shared the "rewritten" price it was $2800!. Needless to say, I am now with Safeco Insurance.

The Safeco agent told me that it is pretty common for insurance companies to slowly increase prices on their most loyal customers, but then lower them if the customer should complain. He also indicates that the practice is most common among the biggest names in the industry.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
The Safeco agent told me that it is pretty common for insurance companies to slowly increase prices on their most loyal customers, but then lower them if the customer should complain. He also indicates that the practice is most common among the biggest names in the industry.

I had Safeco a few years ago. They did the same thing to me in that they raised their rates to a ridiculous amount so we left them. Iím not sure why the insurance companies play such games as they lose customers all the time because of it.

Now Iím prepared to shop every year or two as they donít show customer loyalty anymore. Kind of like the cable/internet companies.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:

Are you comparing apples to apples liberty mutual usually is not a true Rv policy.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Did you mean your LM premium is $1570? You posted $157.... curious.
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #13

The $1280 is a surpise to me also. I wonder if that quote for a stand alone policy that includes liability coverages.

I wish I could be more help. But beyond being curious, that is all I got.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of folks sat Progressive saves them $$, but every time I shop insurance, the Progressive quote for my needs is always 15x-2x some other major insurers. Not more than all of them, but clearly something about me or my vehicles kicks me into a premium price bracket at Progressive. I'm with The Hartford now, but it's time for me to get new quotes and see what competition can do for me.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance