Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #1

RV ladder

Our B+/C does not have a ladder.

When I asked Regency (who made the RV) why they did not include a ladder they said that they thought the RV looked better without one, and that is probably true, but seems to me to miss the point. I often need to get on the roof and I worry that if I need mobile repair the repair guy might not have a long enough ladder, so I have been thinking about either having a ladder installed or getting a portable ladder that could fit into sockets on the roof to hold it in place when using it.

The problem is that I don't have any good idea about what ladder to get so thought I would ask if anyone has bought and used one of these that they were happy with. Any recommendations?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #2

12.5 ft telescopic ladder provides access to the the roof and awning for inspection, cleaning and maintenance. It is compact and stows in a storage compartment. Lots of suppliers on Amazon.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #3

I use the 17 foot little giant foldable ladder. Lean it against the roof near a slide when out…..provides a safer way of accessing the roof. Step on the top of the slide, then onto the roof.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
tcg

The telescoping ladders are nice and they store almost completely flat.

Google "GP Logistics Compact Folding Ladder" for another ladder option, it won't get you on your roof but it will help you with an awning if you need it.

It folds to about 4 inches square and comes in various heights. I carry a 5 foot version for my business to help me board boats that are shored up.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was at home depot and some one at the pro-desk told me he could give me a great deal on a Murphy Ladder. I had never seen them and they intrigued me so for $69 I got a $300 ladder.

I like it. It does not take up much space in my basement like the little giaint and it's lighter.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
12.5 ft telescopic ladder provides access to the the roof and awning for inspection, cleaning and maintenance. It is compact and stows in a storage compartment. Lots of suppliers on Amazon.
Yes. Thanks.

I have looked that up on Amazon and put it into my Wish List. I need to make sure I can store it in the RV before I buy it. I have a pass through storage area at the back of my B+/C but I am not sure it can pass through the door opening. I need to measure the door and see if it will fit. If so, then it should solve my problem.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #7

I have to ask. Why do you have to get on the roof often?
Old 08-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I use the 17 foot little giant foldable ladder. Lean it against the roof near a slide when out…..provides a safer way of accessing the roof. Step on the top of the slide, then onto the roof.
I would not have thought that stepping on top of a slide was ever a good idea, guess I was wrong.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
I would not have thought that stepping on top of a slide was ever a good idea, guess I was wrong.

I stay near the edge where the walls of the slide support the weight. The slide is probably stronger than the roof on some coaches - lol
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have to ask. Why do you have to get on the roof often?
I would not say "often", but rather "sometimes".

I need to clean the solar panels, I have had to caulk the space between the cab and the house part of the RV to stop a leak, and I have had issues with the roof AC that required removing the cowling. There is a large roof skylight which needs to be cleaned from time to time and the only way I have had to get on the roof was with my large and very heavy expanding ladder. That is too heavy, too large and too much trouble to take with me when we travel. I have no space to store it and expanding it enough to reach the roof means straightening it out, which is a royal PITA.

None of that would be necessary if they had installed a roof ladder on the RV, but they did not. I do have to admit that the RV looks nicer without it, but I am more concerned with functionality than aesthetics.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
None of that would be necessary if they had installed a roof ladder on the RV, but they did not. I do have to admit that the RV looks nicer without it, but I am more concerned with functionality than aesthetics.
If you aren't concerned about the looks, go for an installed ladder. It will always be there and no storage problems. At least that's what I would do.

There's a ladder on our rig, but I carry a little folding step ladder that's 6 feet long and 4 inches by 4 inches when collapsed. I need it to put the front window shades on and it takes very little space in a storage compartment pass through.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #12
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I would not say "often", but rather "sometimes".

I have a Class C with a roof ladder, if I'm just going up to get something out of the storage pod up there I use the mounted ladder. I lower whatever I need with rope.

If I'm going up there to do routine maintenance I always use a ladder because it's safer to get up and down and carry tools or anything else I might need.

Those telescoping ladders are really the way to go. I put up Christmas lights for a customer. Part of the display goes on a balcony on the second story. I used to have to borrow a pickup truck to bring my huge extension ladder.

I have a 16' telescoping ladder that I just toss in the trunk of the car. I'm no lightweight, 235lbs, and I feel safe climbing up the entire 16'.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is similar to the one I bought. When looking at these ladders as a means to get on the roof, take note of the difference between extended length vs reach.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22454111656...sAAOSwispgvzRO

I also carry a 7' folding double sided ladder. It folds to 3.5 inches by 4.5 inches, and fits easily in a storage bay.

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...aps,356&sr=8-2
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
This is similar to the one I bought. When looking at these ladders as a means to get on the roof, take note of the difference between extended length vs reach.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22454111656...sAAOSwispgvzRO

I also carry a 7' folding double sided ladder. It folds to 3.5 inches by 4.5 inches, and fits easily in a storage bay.

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...aps,356&sr=8-2
Can that extension ladder be completely opened so that it forms a single step ladder rather than a standing ladder? What I mean is - can the legs be opened enough so that it is a single piece ladder giving it much longer reach?

I have a Werner ladder that I use at home (see photos). It opens to only about 7 feet, but the legs can be opened enough that it becomes a straight step ladder that has to be leaned against something to use. I can use it to get to the top of my RV, but it is too large and too heavy to take with me in our RV. If I take it with me I will lose almost all of my storage space and that is why I am looking for something that folds up smaller. The ladder you pointed to (eBay Telescopic Extension Ladder) might work if it can be completely opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	373329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	373330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg