Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #1

RV Ladder Block Access

Hi, recently purchased a Thor Chateau. Yesterday, while parked, someone climbed up the ladder. Wanting to find solutions that are reasonably priced to prevent this.

Thanks
Pfbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Cover it with plywood, canvas or some other solid sheet of ????
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #3

One idea is to wrap it with tarp and use straps on Velcro to hold it in place and paint on tarp.. keep off.. cheap and easy and you can take down tarp for your access.. not perfect but unless you take ladder off and use one of those new folding ladder to get to roof..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 11-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I doubt that it will be a continuing issue. I wouldn't put any energy into blocking it. I've been on this forum for 17 years and this is the first incident I've read about.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #5

When I got my Allegro 31IA with fold-up ladder back in '02 I thought it was a great way to protect kids from their own shenanigans.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Climbing on large vehicles might be the next big thing that the stupid among us are going to attempt.
Just recently in the news, a person was on top of an 18-wheeler doing a dance. All was well until the truck went under an overpass. The climber got whacked and did not live to tell about it.
Just this morning in the news, a person was seen and photographed hanging on the ladder of a vehicle of some sort as it was driving down the road. I never heard how that turned out.

So, to the OP, good for you to be thinking ahead. It could be someone that is looking to hitch a ride and they climb on top as the vehicle is parked. As if there are not enough things to be concerned about.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Geez, what other idiot things can stupid people do?!!? Anyway, I doubt it'll happen again, but if you are concerned, depending on how often YOU need to climb it, I'd wrap it in Saran Wrap. Easy to cut off if you need access to the roof via that ladder.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #8

That bath wall panel will flex over the angle most have and could be zip-stripped between uprights.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PLAS-TEX...8615/311314398
Or the textured more fiberglass type that is about double the price.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #9
IC2

Just some piece of material ladder width bolted over the bottom 2 rungs should cure the problem. I seldom used that flimsy ladder, preferring a Werner folding ladder instead to support my 200 lbs. Probably wont ever happen again though. Never had that problem in 45 years owning some sort of RV either but in today's world .....
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #10

The real problem is solar panels.. if someone is misguided enough to climb onto a slippery roof.. then they may step onto solar panels.. and I have a small bundle in them.. let alone fall off and sue me.. oh well.. I tried..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 11-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I doubt that it will be a continuing issue. I wouldn't put any energy into blocking it. I've been on this forum for 17 years and this is the first incident I've read about.
Same with me, this is the first time I've ever even read about that happening.

If baseball is genuinly concerned, he can cut off the bottom 4' of his ladder and buy a MH ladder extension, which BTW is 4' long and hinges onto the permanent ladder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #12

As others have said, this seems like a new phenomenon for stupid people, or maybe the person intended to do something. How did you see this and where were you when it happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfbaseball View Post
Hi, recently purchased a Thor Chateau. Yesterday, while parked, someone climbed up the ladder. Wanting to find solutions that are reasonably priced to prevent this.

Thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #13

RV Ladder Block Access

This is the second time I’ve read about someone having issues with someone else climbing up on top of their MH. The other one was neighborhood kids.

Some security or game cameras, no trespassing signs, and getting the Sheriffs office involved is how I would handle it.

Ray IN, Even with my 4-foot lower extension removed, I can reach the bottom rung and pull myself up to climb up on the roof. Done it many times. I’m 63 so I’m sure youngsters would have little problem doing the same.

An electric fence setup connected to the aluminum ladder would work and be funny to watch.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For some reason that I will not tell DW, and before I read this thread - like a year ago, I just had the ladder removed. Back of the coach looks so much better and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Every repair person I have ever had has their own ladder and if they don't I have an extension ladder I can supply.

Lori, you are right. Lot's of stupid people trying to get on YouTube!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access