Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #1

RV Life in the Winter Temps

We are now on our 3rd winter, living full time in our Carriage Compass Fifth Wheel. Many trials and errors and felt that we finally got all our ducks lined up. 2 Winters in Osoyoos and now we are in the mountains of southern British Columbia along the Boundary Country. Minus 23 one morning (celsius). All our neighbours had frozen pipes, hoses, water lines, etc. We were feeling pretty great about ours not freezing......BUT...when we went to pull the gate valve on the grey tank..it would not budge! First time in 3 years. So we put a small heater under the skirting on 900 watts. After about 3 hours, the temp rose enough to pull the valve. Same thing happened the next day, only with the black tank. So, confused about this. After 2 winters without it happening, and then boom, it did. But at least we have a method to take care of it. We have some videos on our youtube channel about things to do to help your rig survive the cold if you are interested.
https://youtu.be/llHcwo8LcOU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canadian RV Life Carriage Compass1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	187115  
hinterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #2

All I can say is wow. Glad its you and not me up there. Sounds like you have mostly figured it out though. Good luck and happy new year.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

What's that saying? Oh yea, an awesome and beautiful place to visit but,, i wouldn't want to live there (in the winter). Heck, it's 45F (7.2°C) here and that's too cold for us.

Enjoyed your video. With single pane windows ours is not ready for that really cold weather. We do place the big dress up pillows that came with the rig into the stairwell when the temps are low.

I do want to look at getting another portable heater. Does the Lasco brand's thermostat work ok? I've had problems finding one that doesn't fluctuate too wildly. Seems like we end up with about a 10° differential on the cheapies from the discount store.

Sending y'all a Happy New Year wish from SE Texas!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Geez, why not come down to Arizona with the rest of us? My hat is off to you guys. Happy new year.
tande12506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I am in Breckenridge, Colorado this winter. When it gets into the low single digits fahrenheit, I watch the mobile RV repair trucks stream in to thaw frozen pipes here in Tiger Run RV resort. I have seen some pretty clever ideas being employed by the 5er crowd. Yesterday I saw a home depot bucket cut to the contours of the plumbing and valves with a lightbulb inside the bucket. Not sure why they didn't just use a short heat tape instead, but it does light up and looks like a cross between a home depot add and an orange Christmas decoration.

Love your wooden walkway! Nice touch.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #6

Thank you

Thank you and enjoy the warmer climate this winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
All I can say is wow. Glad its you and not me up there. Sounds like you have mostly figured it out though. Good luck and happy new year.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Lasko Heaters

Hi East Texas, we have friends spending the winter there. Yes, the Lasko heaters are awesome, we have 2. So far, lasted over 3 years and have a thermostat and 2 heat settings. The thermostat isn't exact, because of body heat and or cooking heat etc. The highest setting on the control being 900 watts.
Thanks for enjoying the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
What's that saying? Oh yea, an awesome and beautiful place to visit but,, i wouldn't want to live there (in the winter). Heck, it's 45F (7.2°C) here and that's too cold for us.

Enjoyed your video. With single pane windows ours is not ready for that really cold weather. We do place the big dress up pillows that came with the rig into the stairwell when the temps are low.

I do want to look at getting another portable heater. Does the Lasco brand's thermostat work ok? I've had problems finding one that doesn't fluctuate too wildly. Seems like we end up with about a 10° differential on the cheapies from the discount store.

Sending y'all a Happy New Year wish from SE Texas!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

Would love Arizona

Would love to some year, just even to scout about and shoot photography. Happy Warm New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande12506 View Post
Geez, why not come down to Arizona with the rest of us? My hat is off to you guys. Happy new year.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #9

Buckets and Water Valves

We've seen several up north, use buckets over the water hydrant. Some fill them with insulation, but never seen one lit up! Would add to the Christmas decor!
Hubby built the walkway in November, love it, no mud coming into the RV.
Happy New Year Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgchampagne View Post
I am in Breckenridge, Colorado this winter. When it gets into the low single digits fahrenheit, I watch the mobile RV repair trucks stream in to thaw frozen pipes here in Tiger Run RV resort. I have seen some pretty clever ideas being employed by the 5er crowd. Yesterday I saw a home depot bucket cut to the contours of the plumbing and valves with a lightbulb inside the bucket. Not sure why they didn't just use a short heat tape instead, but it does light up and looks like a cross between a home depot add and an orange Christmas decoration.

Love your wooden walkway! Nice touch.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Watched a few of your videos and now subscribed. Nice work on the editing and information, looking forward to watching the other videos on your channel.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #11

Heck.
It's 84° F here in Southern California. But it's full.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Wrap the hose/CG faucet in heat tape...don't forget to plug it in. Put a trouble light with an old style 60 watt bulb in the water compartment next to the pull handles and pump. You're set.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #13

Thank you for watching

Hi there,
Just wanting to say thank you for the encouragement on the youtube videos. Sure appreciate you watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
Watched a few of your videos and now subscribed. Nice work on the editing and information, looking forward to watching the other videos on your channel.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #14

This is our 3rd winter and we are wrapped up tight with heat tape, insulation and all that goes with it. The hose, the faucet etc. We don't have a water compartment like newer rigs.
But we do now put a small ceramic heater under the skirting when it's getting to be 20 below zero and that raises the temp enough to get the gate valves open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Wrap the hose/CG faucet in heat tape...don't forget to plug it in. Put a trouble light with an old style 60 watt bulb in the water compartment next to the pull handles and pump. You're set.

Tags
winter