Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #1

RV loan questions?

Have a few questions for some seasoned RV finance people.

My sister & brother in law purchased a used diesel pusher back in 2015.
I agreed to share 1/2 the payments and expenses with them to use it also.
Now they no longer want to use it and I have been paying 100% of the payment and expenses for the past two years.

I would like to get my name added on the the loan and the title so that I can also take over the insurance.

Questions:
Can a family member be added to an existing loan and title without having to repay purchase taxes? FYI this is in California.

Or would we have to refinance the loan to have me added?
would purchase taxes apply?
F29DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

That's a question to ask your financial institution; not a RV forum.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I disagree ,questions are what forums are for.

I have no answer for the op except maybe get a Montana llc
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F29DCB View Post

Now they no longer want to use it and I have been paying 100% of the payment and expenses for the past two years.

I would like to get my name added on the the loan and the title so that I can also take over the insurance.

Questions:
Can a family member be added to an existing loan and title without having to repay purchase taxes? FYI this is in California.

In the past I was able to transfer a vehicle's title from my name to a family members name without having to pay any tax. I actually did this twice, for two different vehicles & two different family members. CA DMV outlines the rules for when this is allowed. I hope for your sake it applies to RVs.

You will not be able to "take over" the insurance policy. Once you are the owner, you can get your own coverage.

Can't help you with assuming the loan.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #5

Thanks Ldubs

I actually don't want to take them off the title. just want to add myself.
That way we all have ownership of it long term even though I'm making the payments on it.

And yes, I would get a new insurance policy to replace the one they currently have.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

Unfortunately i don’t have first hand experience with vehicle loans, but I know for a fact you can be added to the loan and title. You would need to contact the lender and find out their requirements to do this.

Conversely, removing them is also doable. Again, the lender will lay out the process. I helped a family member go thru the exact same thing with a boat. Added my uncle, and removed my two cousins. The lender helped facilitate everything. Pretty easy looking back at it.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just trying to see if someone has been through this and educate myself before contacting the bank or the DMV.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Unfortunately i don’t have first hand experience with vehicle loans, but I know for a fact you can be added to the loan and title. You would need to contact the lender and find out their requirements to do this.

Conversely, removing them is also doable. Again, the lender will lay out the process. I helped a family member go thru the exact same thing with a boat. Added my uncle, and removed my two cousins. The lender helped facilitate everything. Pretty easy looking back at it.
Thanks for the info Hpozzuoli
Old 10-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Ldubs

I actually don't want to take them off the title. just want to add myself.
That way we all have ownership of it long term even though I'm making the payments on it.

And yes, I would get a new insurance policy to replace the one they currently have.
Aw, that makes a lot of sense. When it comes to changing the title, the main thing is to avoid DMV asking for sales tax. As I said above they allow intra-family transfers. In one case I transferred the title to the car to my father-in-law without any tax due.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:

Questions:

I say it will have to be refinanced in your name.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #11

In Texas you cannot insure a vehicle you don't own. If there's a lien on it (payments) you can't do anything with the title until the lien is paid off. You can't just add yourself to a loan. The existing debt will have to be paid and a new loan will have to be setup, as in a refinance. You will have to talk to the bank that holds the loan to find out what their terms would be in this situation for sure.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Questions:

The terms of a loan are fixed at signing and normally it is not possible to modify the original document in any manner which actually is a good thing as the bank also can't change the terms but you'll need to call the holder of the loan to verify. Probably you'll need to pay it off.

Insurance might work but normally all parties need to be in the same house hold but not necessary related. I had the X-GF on my daily driver insurance (USAA) and she was listed as a authorized driver for the coach (Progressive) but she wasn't on the title of any of my vehicles and I wasn't on hers even though we were cohabitating. I even had her daughter on my insurance for a couple of months.

Regarding the title not sure if the bank lien will be a problem with ownership additions. I suspect each state will be different so you'll need someone from CA to post. Worst case CA-DMV would consider this a title transfer and charge you sales tax in addition to the administrative fees.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #13

Family or not, making payments for something not in your name is a VERY bad idea.

See if you can get everything in your name if you are the one paying. Suppose the family member passes away. You have no claim to the vehicle. Suppose the person on the title gets sued for something and that asset is in court along with everything they own? To many chances for things to go wrong.

The taxes would be my smallest concern with this situation.

Good luck to you.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #14

Family or not, making payments for something not in your name is a VERY bad idea

100000X agreed. One bad Christmas dinner or a quick he said she said deal and you'll have a mess fast.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote