Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipkts2010 View Post
I did not want to go through all of the replies so I will add mine "blind". Going around Denver Colorado on the toll road example. Going South bound on I25 and take the toll road. Before you get back to I25 on the South side you will traverse 10 toll booths. While that in and of itself is not terrible, well actually it is because each toll booth charges $4.50, but wait, that is for the first two axles. After the first two axles, the charge is $4.50 for each additional axle. So, for our rig with a tag axle towing a two axle vehicle, our per toll both charge goes up to $18.00 per toll booth. So, that is $180 just to not have to go through Denver. I wil let you guess which way I go through.
Well one of us has made a big miscalculation. I discussed the fees with the folks at the administration office and based on that conversation and what I calculated on the web information it doesn't cost any where close to that to bypass the whole shooting match.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokgunner View Post
I sent them a check for the toll and politely told them to pound sand for the extras.
Exactly how did you politely tell them to pound sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokgunner View Post
The way it is we need to learn it for all 50 states or stay home.
That's exactly my point. Simplify and standardize the collection of tolls across the country. It doesn't have to be this complicated.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Not at all. I'm just making your point, that there are choices. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Canada or the people who live there. As for their health care, I guess you say it's free, except you can't stay over the border more than 6 months or you lose it. Government run systems, telling people what they can do, how long they can stay.....not for me. Besides, it's ridiculously cold up there about now. If it wasn't for the government closed border, they'd all be down here right now.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
I just copied this off the EZ-Pass Virginia website.

6. How many people use E-ZPass?
In Virginia, there are more than 2,300,000 active E-ZPass transponders. There are between 16 and 20 million electronic toll transactions a month

Key words "Electronic toll transactions", so this doesn't include all the tolls paid by NON EZ-Pass vehicles.

I think it's appropriate to say, "whoa Nelly, there's a whole lotta shaking goin on" around here.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Also, a few people have said that there is a $15/month fee. That is not the case with my EZ-Pass account in Virginia. There are no fees.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #104

Quote:
Also, a few people have said that there is a $15/month fee. That is not the case with my EZ-Pass account in Virginia. There are no fees.
Every state that issues an EZ Pass transponder has a slightly different plan. Some charge a monthly fee, others don't. There is no requirement that you get your EZ Pass from the state where you live. Some of the plans offer better discounts in the state that issued the transponder, so it's worthwhile to check things out and get one that will work best for where you plan to drive toll roads most.

The $15/month fee, I believe, is for the transponder which works across virtually all the different systems in the US. It charges a monthly fee for every month in which you have a transaction with the transponder. While most other transponders will work only on their system, or maybe theirs plus one other, the nationwide one is said to work on most. But, of course, convenience comes at a price.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Every state that issues an EZ Pass transponder has a slightly different plan. Some charge a monthly fee, others don't. There is no requirement that you get your EZ Pass from the state where you live. Some of the plans offer better discounts in the state that issued the transponder, so it's worthwhile to check things out and get one that will work best for where you plan to drive toll roads most.

The $15/month fee, I believe, is for the transponder which works across virtually all the different systems in the US. It charges a monthly fee for every month in which you have a transaction with the transponder. While most other transponders will work only on their system, or maybe theirs plus one other, the nationwide one is said to work on most. But, of course, convenience comes at a price.
I spoke with the EZ-Pass Virginia this morning. She said there is no fee (monthly or otherwise) whether I use it or not. She also said my transponder will work from NC to Maine and out to IL. I'm happy with that. Also, the initial cost for the transponder went to the transponder as a credit for tolls.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #106

Quote:
I spoke with the EZ-Pass Virginia this morning. She said there is no fee (monthly or otherwise) whether I use it or not. She also said my transponder will work from NC to Maine and out to IL. I'm happy with that. Also, the initial cost for the transponder went to the transponder as a credit for tolls.

Looks like you've got one of the EZ Pass transponders issued without a monthly fee. Like all other EZ Pass units, yours will work in all EZ Pass states. However, there are toll roads on other systems where it won't work, like Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. For those systems you'll either have to get one of their transponders or get the nationwide one which has the monthly user fee.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
My transponder will work in a small area around Orlando, but no where else. I'm aware it doesn't work beyond those states I mentioned which is why I started this thread. Maybe if EVERYBODY wrote a letter to the Bern, we could all have free toll roads, along with free healthcare, and free college tuition, and free lunches.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #108

There was a time when groups like AAA would be lobbying for things like this. Wonder if they still do or if there are other groups doing it.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
There was a time when groups like AAA would be lobbying for things like this. Wonder if they still do or if there are other groups doing it.
I guess there is always the tried and true way of collecting a million signatures and handing them over to someone in Congress who might champion the cause. Maybe if we donated a billion dollars to somebody they would cast a vote on behalf of our cause. As Eeyore said "it never hurts to keep looking for sunshine"
Old 02-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #110

It has been a while, but the general them was. Since they gave no warning nor notice of if and how much it would cost me to cross I did not believe I owed anything. But I would be willing to pay the toll not the penalties associated with their lack of warning. I pointed out it would cost them more to try to collect the penalties that the penalties them self.

I also said that at a minimum they should warn that the bridge no longer takes cash. Soon enough to allow someone to pull off the road and detour around the bay.

I also took a parting shot at their offer to take payment offer the internet, to the affect that not all of California is as privileged as the bay area. At the time I lived in an area of California whose only access to the internet was by phone line modem (ie super slow)

I suspect that the reason there is not nation wide universal system is that a lot of money is made by bilking out of towners.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
RV TollPass seems to have addressed this although some object to their pricing and policies. They cover all 35 states with toll roads, but there are still separate bridge authorities that are not in the system.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300946562.html

https://rvtollpass.com/

where it works:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+Toll+Pass.pdf

This is the system that some manufacturers include as an option - Newmar now charges $301 for a hardwired version. Amazon has it for $95.

This is the RVtollpass activation site but it just take you back to Amazon. It does have a good FAQ list though.

https://rvtollpass.com/#activate

Here’s a discussion on it from about a year ago. Some like it, some don’t:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-t...ew-473874.html

As far as a lobby goes I guess RIVA would be a place to start.

https://www.rvia.org/advocacy

I also contacted the following recently on another issue:

RIVA policy agenda group:

Jay Landers, Vice President
jlanders@rvia.org
Chris Bornemann, Director
cbornemann@rvia.org
Samantha Rocci, Manager
srocci@rvia.org
Monika Geraci, Strategic Policy Communications
mgeraci@rvia.org

Senate and House RV Caucus contacts:

• Senate: Contact the office of the Senate RV Caucus Chair, Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA).
• House: Contact the offices of the House RV Caucus co-chairs, Representatives Dina Titus (D-NV-1) and Jackie Walorski (R-IN-2).
RVIA as indicated in its name represents the industry not the end user. FMCA is the only organization that I can find that lobbies for us, the end user.

Here is a clip I copied from the RVIA web site. “The RV Industry Association is the national trade group representing the manufacturers and component suppliers producing approximately 98 percent of all RVs manufactured in North America. Our organization unites the diverse RV industry and forges alliances to form a strong, single voice. Working with our members, we advance the industry and drive growth and innovation across the outdoor business landscape.

Membership is available to companies and businesses actively engaged in manufacturing RVs and Park Model RVs as well as those providing a product or service, directly or indirectly, to an RV manufacturer, Park Model RV manufacturer, component supplier or other wholesale participant in the industry. There are membership categories for RV Manufacturer, Park Model RV Manufacturer, Supplier, Manufacturer’s Representative, Finance Firm, and Associate.”

So if you want help from a user perspective, you are more likely to get help from FMCA. But I think if I had an issue was really important to me, I would contact everyone I could think of including the Senators, Congressmen, RVIA, and anyone else I could think of.

Good luck,

Randy B
rpburdette is offline   Reply With Quote