Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
A motorcycle uses substantially less gas than my pickup and therefore pays very little to the federal govt. He buys that gas to drive on our roads. He funds substantially less towards maintenance than I do.
He also causes less highway wear than your pickup because he is lighter and only has 2 wheels, so perhaps it is only reasonable that he pays less.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #58

I don't have the details at hand, but I researched this last year and discovered that the (I think?) 2012 Department of Transportation budget (or maybe it was the 2007 budget?) *required* that electronic toll collection be standardized on all roads that received any federal funding.

Maybe it was the 2007 budget decreed that, by 2012, this was implemented... The details are hazy in my memory, but they are out there in writing, for anyone who cares to look.

Here we are, years later, and no progress on standardizing / unifying has been even seriously proposed -- despite the hundreds of billions of federal transportation spending.

Another example that there's no accountability in or to the Federal government. But, as a private citizen cross their path and see how that turns out.

For what it's worth, I have three different "smart tags" hanging on my windshield and I still encounter roads where I don't have the "right" tag. It's insane, and a testament to our third-world-level government.
simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What we need is an RV Lobby to have them build better quality TVs and honor the warranty. Yes a national toll road system would be nice, but the majority of the toll road users are more local and the toll authorities do not see the need to consilidate.

Ken
I have an outstanding TV
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Does the RV community have a "Lobby" to represent our interest throughout the country? How does this community speak with a unified voice? For example, I understand (very little research involved but) that Congress mandated all states to come up with a universal "toll" system many years ago, but all the states have ignored it. I wish we could get a universal toll system. I have the "EZ Pass which is good in a dozen states. I had to buy a separate one for Colorado. Why does every state have to have their own toll collection system?
Congress mandated and NATIONALPASS was developed. Your transponder will work in:
CA, DE, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, ME, MD, NH, NJ, NC, NY, OH, PA, RI, TX, VA, WV and FL.

Monthly fees apply based on amount of monthly tolls.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #61

I think Chuck Woodbury @ RV Travel is about as close as it comes. Just about everyone else seems too close to big business for me.
twiggw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
I did not want to go through all of the replies so I will add mine "blind". Going around Denver Colorado on the toll road example. Going South bound on I25 and take the toll road. Before you get back to I25 on the South side you will traverse 10 toll booths. While that in and of itself is not terrible, well actually it is because each toll booth charges $4.50, but wait, that is for the first two axles. After the first two axles, the charge is $4.50 for each additional axle. So, for our rig with a tag axle towing a two axle vehicle, our per toll both charge goes up to $18.00 per toll booth. So, that is $180 just to not have to go through Denver. I wil let you guess which way I go through.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #63

With the current administration, thats probably at the bottom of the stack.
Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #64

20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
My pet peave is NY bridge toll is much higher for a two axle motorhome with a toad, than then if the two vehicles travelled unhitched. Really drives me crazy.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #66

at least you are aware of tolls

For 60 years the only tolls I paid were for bridges into San Francisco. Except when I rented cars on the east cost, that came with the the auto pay black box for tolls. A few years ago we crossed the Golden Gate bridge in our RV. We were surprised to see that nobody was stopping and none of the toll booths were open. Since the signage was scant we assumed that there is no toll charges on the weekend.

Nearly three months later we got a bill which included a processing fee for not having an electronic pass or not getting on line shortly after words to pay. I sent them a check for the toll and politely told them to pound sand for the extras. Noting that there was no signs warning me of the extras, or if there were the warning was not sufficient to let me get off the freeway and not cross the bridge. They never made an attempt to collect the extra.

The next year I rented a car in Chicago. At first I was confused about the counterman's comments regarding the the black box that pays tolls. Then it occurred to me that their toll booths are "cashless". That was the first I ever knew shuch existed.

A few months after that, I rented a car in Maine. Since I was going to travel through several states and Canada I went out of my way to get assurances that the black box would pay all tolls. But a few times when we crossed a toll location a yellow light would blink. I called the rental agency and they told me to not worry about it the tolls would be paid, I got them to send me a confirming email. A few months letter I get a nasty letter from Canada stating that my tolls were not paid and they were going to go after my credit if I did not pay them. I handed the matter over to my credit card company and never heard another peep (i.e. I was never charged for the tolls).

I've heard that is some states' cashless tolls exempt out of staters or RVs but how one knows is a mystery.

This is a long winded way of saying that it should not take a lot of research to find out every state's quirks regarding tolls. Owning a black box that every state honors is NOT the answer for people like me, unless there is no charge for having the black box, that might only be used 2 or three times a year if that often.

I think the answer is to not charge out of staters if the toll is cashless. That way people would need to learn the toll egnigma for only their state. The way it is we need to learn it for all 50 states or stay home.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #67

All of this talk about wear and maintenance on the roads got me to thinking about a comment a friend of mine that lives in an area with a lot of horse and buggy traffic on the road made. He said that the major cause of wear and tear on the local roads was the horse horse and buggy traffic with the metal horse shoes and the metal wheels of the buggies. Since we're talking about fairness how do you tax the horses and buggy operators? As far as I know they don't pay any road tax at all but are the top user of the roads when it comes to wear. How do you solve that dilema? There's an old saying among tax people, "Don't tax you and don't tax me, tax that fellow behind the tree." The only problem is that the guy behind the tree is just an illusion.

I don't mind paying for road use but is should be in some form of tax that is already being collected, income tax, sales tax, gasoline tax,etc. not a toll system where some significant double digit percentage of the money collected goes to pay for the collection system. I guess I expect too much from government.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
All of this talk about wear and maintenance on the roads got me to thinking about a comment a friend of mine that lives in an area with a lot of horse and buggy traffic on the road made. He said that the major cause of wear and tear on the local roads was the horse horse and buggy traffic with the metal horse shoes and the metal wheels of the buggies. Since we're talking about fairness how do you tax the horses and buggy operators? As far as I know they don't pay any road tax at all but are the top user of the roads when it comes to wear. How do you solve that dilema? There's an old saying among tax people, "Don't tax you and don't tax me, tax that fellow behind the tree." The only problem is that the guy behind the tree is just an illusion.

I don't mind paying for road use but is should be in some form of tax that is already being collected, income tax, sales tax, gasoline tax,etc. not a toll system where some significant double digit percentage of the money collected goes to pay for the collection system. I guess I expect too much from government.
100% AGREE. Use tax, not a toll tax.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
He also causes less highway wear than your pickup because he is lighter and only has 2 wheels, so perhaps it is only reasonable that he pays less.
Exactly.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 PM   #70

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Toll booths are going to be gone soon on the Interstate system, if they aren’t already. Federal law prohibits toll booths in the travel lanes. Not sure of the effective date, but when we travelled the NY Thruway in October, they were hurrying to get rid of them.
They're not eliminating tolls, only booths. Ohio turnpike has always only had them on each end and any exit you get off at. Many of them are either E-Z or compatible pass or a credit/debit card. Places like Illinois have electronic scanners overhead that either read the pass or copies the plate for you to pay online. The issue I have with the universal transponder is that they charge a $15 "processing" fee for every month it's used. I think that's excessive.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote