Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #43

None lethal

I have the Byrna HD and except for New York City and good old California it’s legal
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #44

When our government says you don’t need a gun. You need a gun.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #45

YES!!!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A main concern would be a powerful handgun that would penetrate through severa RV walls. A shotgun or a .410 pistol would be safer choice for your neighbors.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #47

Pros and Cons

I never plan on using a weapon for protection. Nobody should plan on using a weapon for protection. That said, sometimes unplanned things happen. The thought of someone breaking down the door of our Class B and standing 8' from my bed while I hunt for a can of beans to hit them with is even more unpleasant than confronting someone in my bedroom at home, where it is about 20' from the bed to the door. Remember, however, that state laws are a labyrinth, and Illinois prohibits the possession of a weapon in your RV under any circumstances. If your trip takes you through Illinois, you must find a gun dealer near the border who will store your weapon while you are in Illinois. I used such an arrangement with a gun store outside the gates of Pensacola NAS when we visited the Naval Aviation Museum and watched the Blue Angels practice. $10 per day was money well spent. Last but not least, I absolutely agree with discretion. No "Protected by S&W" signs on the doors and windows.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #48

Never leave home without it.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #49
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's amazing how naive some people are. No matter what your opinion is on guns, there are still a lot of crazy things going on out there, ESPECIALLY now. Sure, campgrounds are safe, but if you take the wrong turn and end up in downtown Portland, you can be dragged out of your car and beat. For those that say no, please explain the videos of Antifa doing exactly that.

If you come to Los Angeles, the new District Attorney has decided that misdemeanor crimes won't be prosecuted. The same in San Francisco. Again, for those too naive to see what's going on, a misdemeanor includes being personally assaulted, theft and vandalism.

As a Deputy Sheriff for 35 years, we were taught and I practiced, that when off duty and especially with your family, don't take police action, just be a good witness and make a call to the local police. Now that I'm retired, I believe this even more, but I CERTAINLY won't go into some of these towns with the kumbaya attitude of some on here. You're just looking to be a victim!
Old 02-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #50

Door #2

Only If you choose door #2 on the Price IS Right do you find out the answer to that question. And you won't win the car or RV. For those that choose not to or Wasp spray, Monte and I'll be praying for you.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
I have several thoughts and comments. The first is to always be aware of your surroundings and decide how safe you feel. If it does not feel right, leave.

I believe that you have a right and obligation to protect yourself and your loved ones, but that protection should always start with the least aggressive response available, if possible. Being willing to backup or back off may avoid a bad situation.

Less lethal defensive products such as pepper spray or bug spray maybe a good alternative, but may not be effective against a committed criminal.

I carry concealed whenever I legally can. But concealed to me means really concealed. No one knows that I am carrying. And I train regularly with presentation and target practice. I practice to be on target with two center mass shots fired in under 3 seconds from 10 meters. But the use of a gun is my last and most desperate option. When you pull a gun on anyone, you have raised the temperature. Taking a life, or threatening to take a life should be the last thing that you should ever consider. And when you pull the trigger, you are responsible for whatever damage or harm the bullet may do. And even if you do not pull the trigger, you maybe in trouble with the legal system for simply threatening the use of the gun.

I have trained under pressure and know that I am not as good under a time pressure as when I am just target practicing. Where I train they say that you will only be half as good in a real crisis as your best day of training. So if you decide to conceal carry, start with good range training, learn all of the reasons not to ever shoot, and then make sure that you carry only when you are legally permitted. Also get yourself insurance to cover yourself in case you ever present your gun or use it outside of the practice range.

I know some people feel that carrying a gun makes them feel 10 feet tall and invincible. I believe that they should lock their guns away.

All the above is just MHO.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #52

Yes
Old 02-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #53

Protection

Bear spray to protect me in the car and two little dogs. It has been my experience a person with a gun has already predetermined to shoot or not to, you as person of faith and moral up bringing will hesitate before taking a life. So if u decide a carry a lethal weapon get extensive training and a good attorney. IMHO
Old 02-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #54

There are more firearms in the USA than there are people. Over 5 million new gun owners since November 3. If/when you travel some of our "back-road, deserted, or seldom-travelled routes", you COULD break down. After several hours, someone COULD stop and that someone could be helpful. Or NOT. What if the bad guys see an easy mark and stop? The bad guys avoid Interstates; they use the back-roads. So personal protection might just be a good idea. I always carry (legally); our government trained me 50 years ago and I've stayed proficient.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #55

Like the guy said, you need to be trained with that particular firearm . And most all these answers are true. If it makes you feel safer YES.
Don't pull it unless your ready to use it. But we can't let these criminals dictate our entire lives. I travel all over. 1st avoid large [Moderator edit] cities. The truth will hurt some fealings, but facts are the facts..
Old 02-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #56

Re: Wasp spray.

I have shot myself full-on in the face with heavy-duty wasp spray. (Not one of my better moments.)

It was annoying, and made my face oily.

That's all it did.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Closed Thread