Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #1

RV lots gone wild

RV lot prices have gone wild in Ocean Shores WA.

This year I am at my lot in Ocean Shores WA for the 4th of July. Last year I was helping my son's family because of covid.

Last year I was told the mayor went on TV and said the town was closed, no hotels, no restaurants, public bathrooms closed, don't come. More than 100,000 came to drive on the beach.

After retiring we spent a lot of time looking for a place to settle when being full time was no longer fun. We liked Ocean Shores. You can park an RV on your lot for 90 days a year.

We bought a lot in 2016. Lots not on the water ranged from about $10-20k with utilities in the street. With RV hookups $30-40k.

While the market appeared stable, last fall the lot next to me sold for a little more than I thought it was worth and a house was built on it.

I enjoy being here but did not consider it to be an investment. This winter I called the contractor who put the house in next door to have RV hookup put in.

Now I am waiting in line at the permit office. There is a building boom.

Ocean Shores is a nice place for walks. Always lots of 'for sale' signs and RV lots not being used. You see the same thing at marinas. People buy boats and do not use them.

Of special interest to me this year is how hookups are installed. So while some do not use their lots, others have gone overboard (no pun intended).

Two blocks down, two RV lots for sale. The one with hook ups is $100k and the lot smaller than mine without being cleared is $60k. I checked other comparables that have sold recently.

Looks like a 200-300% increase in 6 months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Sounds like you made a great investment
Old 06-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I checked into "buying" there a couple years ago but couldn't live with the 60 days a year occupancy rule and having to buy a permit to use your property.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

Sell......Sell......sell...... it will come back to you soon.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:43 PM   #5

I wouldn't sleep well with Tsunami thoughts for Ocean Shores.

https://mil.wa.gov/asset/5ba420a3c9031

https://pnsn.org/outreach/earthquakehazards/tsunami
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #6

What follows every Boom??
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Sounds like you made a great investment
The best investments are in things you enjoy. I have 4 places to park my MH that I enjoy for different reasons.

I am alway looking for such opportunities.

At the moment, two places are too hot and one too humid. And on e is just right.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #8

And Florida is sinking back to marsh wetlands. I read that report about 7 years ago and decided not to buy FL land.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I checked into "buying" there a couple years ago but couldn't live with the 60 days a year occupancy rule and having to buy a permit to use your property.
It depends on the zoning. Older sections of Ocean Shores has a few run down RV that have not moved in years.

So far have not come close to exceeding 90 days. There is no charge for the permit. It is just a way of keeping track of who use the land.

For example, if I let you come and use my lot; the permit would have your name and phone number as well as mine. If the neighbors thought you were freeloading, they could look at the permit post by the driveway.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I wouldn't sleep well with Tsunami thoughts for Ocean Shores.

https://mil.wa.gov/asset/5ba420a3c9031

https://pnsn.org/outreach/earthquakehazards/tsunami
A good way to sleep better at night is to put a number on the risk you are worried about inside listening to hype.

In the written history of the PNW, no one has even seen such a tsunami.

Number is zero. I can provides some numbers of things to worry about.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 PM   #11

They've spent a lot of money preparing for a tsunami. I guess others worry, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
They've spent a lot of money preparing for a tsunami. I guess others worry, also.
Government and industry spend money spend money on emergency planning. I have a plan. One whole basement storage compartment is devoted to that.

I have a plan to get out of the MH if there is a fire. I have a plan for a time when I can make decisions for myself. I have a plan for going for walks.

I even have a plan to not lay awake and worry about things. Used to do that a lot. Worrying is a waste time.

This morning I went for a sunrise walk. I carry a driftwood walking stick. Part of a plan for dealing with aggressive animals. If during my walk I see grab your chest and keel over, I have a plan for that too.

Enjoyed my walk. Nothing unexpected happened.

In a little while they will test the the tsunami siren.

If I am out for a walk and a violent seismic event knocks me to the ground, I will likely be dead in 15 minutes from the tsunami. Maybe getting on the roof of my MH will save me. Millions maybe billions will die. Was it the subduction zone, Mt Rainier, or the Yellowstone caldera, or all three?

If I survive the tsunami, I have a bottle of red Spanish wine that I have been saving for a special occasion.

If I hear the siren and feel no earthquake, maybe something happened in Japan or Alaska. I will get out my hand crank emergency radio and listen for instructions. Plenty of time to get to high ground.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #13

You really do have disaster plans.
Mine are quite simple. I'm just going to grab my ankles and kiss my butt good by!
Old 06-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You really do have disaster plans.
Mine are quite simple. I'm just going to grab my ankles and kiss my butt good by!
That is how I once answered a 'what if' question on nuclear safety in the navy.

The reason for the over the top answer was the officer who was asked first did not know the answer. The navy had a plan for everything. I did not like the ones involving me going down with the ship.

Better to have a plan and not need it, than need a plan and not have it.