RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #1

"RV Magazine"

I just got an email solicitation from Trailer Life magazine to subscribe to a new magazine they are introducing in January called RV Magazine. Both the email and the webpage were pretty short of specifics, but the advertised contents sound an awful lot like what Trailer Life already offers.

I assume there's something deeper going on here than is obvious to me. Maybe (from the name) they're planning to collapse Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines into one offering?

Does anybody know more about the story behind this move?
LHRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #2

I saw a posting on another forum that said both "Trailer Life" and "Motorhome" were going away at the end of this year, combined into a new magazine. More support for electronic formats like tablets. That's all I've seen so far.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just got our 'Readers Digest' today and we commented on how it was half the size it used to be.

The internet is taking over.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
I saw a posting on another forum that said both "Trailer Life" and "Motorhome" were going away at the end of this year, combined into a new magazine. More support for electronic formats like tablets. That's all I've seen so far.
X2! That's what I heard too!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm recently retired from 47 years in the publishing industry. The biggest problem in the RV industry is not that advertisers do not want print, but that there has been such a great consolidation of companies thru acquisitions. Back in the 70's there were dozens and dozens of small independent companies making coaches and accessories. Each had to do it's own branding to win market share. Now the big conglomerate corporations buy a fraction of the ads that used to be bought.

It's not about digital. Almost all print magazines offer digital editions already.

It is a smart move to have one more successful (profitable) and fatter magazine. The more ads, the more articles they can run.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It will be just another rag that pushes "The Profits" empire.

MEH.....not interested.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

CW has announced they will cease publication of the print version of Trailer Life & Motorhome Magazines. The Digital RV.COM and RV Magazine will replace them.

https://www.dailyherald.com/business...es-new-website
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #8

Yup, I received an official reply:
Quote:
Hello,

MotorHome and Trailer Life magazines are being retired and the last issue for each will be December 2020. Starting January 2021, current subscribers will start receiving RV Magazine. Here’s a little information:

RV Magazine will be pairing tried and true content for readers including exclusive manufacturer product unveiling and reviews for all RV types, top travel destinations, mouthwatering recipes, money saving ideas and trending products. New product innovations and solutions which are driving the industry will be spotlighted along with safety tips for the outdoors. The reader will be empowered with clever RV tricks, technical tips made easy, health and wellness on the road plus reviews and insights from experts and RV influencers to enhance the outdoor experience. The bulk of the content will be driven by RV enthusiasts themselves as they share their stories, best practices and experiences while they travel the country.

Please feel free to reach out if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Katey Purgatorio
Old 09-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

If it's like anything Marcus does, there will probably be a membership fee involved.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #10

TL already isn't free. My renewal invoice was for $12.97/year, though that may reflect a discount for an active GS membership. The online RVM offer is for $16.97/year, but there may be a discount offered for GS members that would bring it into parity. I hope so, because as a trailer owner, I see no benefit to paying more for a magazine that will be half dedicated to motorhome issues.