RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #1

RV/MH lengths and access to parks, etc

I have kept my search for a MH to 25 ft so that I have more options where to stay on travels throughout Canada and the USA. I also want to be able to dry camp about 25% of the time.

However so many forum members have larger RV's. Could you give me an idea what type of places you are able to park with a longer length RV/MH?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
However so many forum members have larger RV's. Could you give me an idea what type of places you are able to park with a longer length RV/MH?
We have a 44 foot toy hauler with tri-axles. Before buying we sit down and talked about what kind of RVing we will do most of the time. For the wife, boondocking is out, except maybe an overnight stop. We knew that most state parks will not hold us, nor will National parks in some spots.
So when we see a campground or area we like to visit I call and make sure we can fit in. So far being on the road for 16 months we have been doing good.
People have different opinions about where to park and camp, so be prepared for several different opinions on your questions.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems that 30-35 feet is the limit for most state and federal parks. COE campgrounds are more accommodating in that respect.

Ours is 33 feet from pin to bumper. Never been an issue where we go, especially since there is space behind the rear trailer axle to back in further most times. We use google maps and check the layout before deciding where to camp.

Wife likes RV resorts. Never a problem there either.

Boondocking is easy since it is wide open spaces.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

I can park pretty much everywhere. The only place I am limited is Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. My favorite track side area in The Carousel has some sites that are just long enough for my 31 footer.

As for State and National Parks. I have had no issues fitting in spots and have yet to be questioned on the length even though they usually ask in the online reservation service.

At private campgrounds I usually try to get a pull through and those have never been a length problem.. Even back in spots have been just fine.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
I have kept my search for a MH to 25 ft so that I have more options where to stay on travels throughout Canada and the USA. I also want to be able to dry camp about 25% of the time.

We’ve stayed everywhere we have wanted to - the biggest issue is not the size - IMHO - but the number of spaces available - this summer while we were in the cg’s in Yellowstone and the Tetons 9 out of 10 of the “New” RV’s were Sprinters - if they were in line behind us they did not get into the park - not because they were too Big but because they were too Late

We would not be in anything smaller an enjoy it - so find what works for your style of Camping then learn how to use the system to your advantage - works for us.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

My DW and I both like to travel and see the nation, but we did not want to give up our comforts when traveling. Such as hot showers, a nice firm bed, A/C when needed and room to walk around in our 5th wheel. So, we settled on a 37' and 13'-6" tall trailer. We both agreed that we needed to have full-hook ups with 50 AMPS service where every we travel too. We also make reservation for our camp sites in advance, we our planners.

So, we tend to stay in private parks and resorts which every state has but the cost is somewhat higher than public campgrounds. We have stayed at a few COE parks when we can find them with full hook ups and 50 Amp service, but not many.

I do not find this as an inconvenience as some might and we are willing to pay the higher rates for these private campgrounds.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Having been full timing for over 12 years, 100,000 miles and 45 States, we've had little problems with size issues. Most State and Federal parks will accommodate larger rigs. That they won't is a myth. At 65' I always unhook the toad when we arrive. Only time we had size issues was along the coast of California but we found out we weren't supposed to be there in the first place. There's a 40' max length limit on Hwy 1. Finding a campsite long enough for your rig is usually not the issue. The issue is the access roads. Many are too narrow with trees, boulders or signs that make the turning radius too small to maneuver your coach around to get to your site. We are planners and always call if there's a question. Like any unfamiliar roads or campgrounds, GoogleMaps is your friend.....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

I am listening, as this is a subject we are learning about. Our current 5th wheel is 33ft. My next one may be upto 40', because we buy used and lots of toyhaulers being bought now are 36-40ft.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive View Post
Having been full timing for over 12 years, 100,000 miles and 45 States, we've had little problems with size issues. Most State and Federal parks will accommodate larger rigs. That they won't is a myth. At 65' I always unhook the toad when we arrive.
Wow! Haven't heard from you in a while!!

I agree with Executive..... With our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep we boondocked on public lands or camped in public campgrounds 90% of our 16 years of full-timing. Honestly, we never had a problem.

We've stayed in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Crater Lake, Zion, Bryce, Rocky Mountain, Big Bend and other national parks/national seashores/national lakeshores. We've stayed in state parks, Corp of Engineer parks, national forest campgrounds, BLM campgrounds, Alaskan parks, national wildlife refuges, county and city parks.

Like Busskipper stated above.... it's not the size but it's the amount of sites available. Saying that.... we didn't tend to make reservations. We arrived early morning and tried to use first come campgrounds. If not, we sometimes secured cancellations.

For boondocking on public lands we've driven up to 20 mi. away from pavement to find our perfect spot most often on a beautiful lake or stream. We'd then use the Jeep to explore farther into the area.

I just shake my head when people say you can't do it because doing it for 16 years we know you can.

Also, you can't go what's written in a campground description as to size. They are typically incorrect. They're guesses and most often made by someone who doesn't drive a big RV. No.... you won't fit in every campground but if you do your research you'll find that you'll fit in many, many.

Get the RV you'll be comfortable in. You'll find places to put it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #10

We were on the road fulltime with a 36' class A for nearly 12 years. In that time I can only recall any limitations from our length a half dozen or so times. Even those occasions it only meant that we couldn't stay in our first choice area. Some state parks and also some federal are pretty cramped and a more common issue is narrow roads and obstructions in turns. The key is to practice and develop the skill to be good at parking the RV that you select. That skill set has more to do with being able to get into a site than does the size of RV, in the majority of cases.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

Another question re campsites

I appreciate all the responses. Another question: from your experience are there enough CGs that give you both space and electrical hookup? Or are most sites with hookups close to each other?

The reason I ask is that it seems with the 12V compressor fridge that either it will have to be hookup or more batteries/solar. I have priced it out and it may be around $4,500 installed (lithiums, solar, converter, monitor, installation).

I have no issue paying for the hookups but I would prefer not to be five feet away from the next RV.

It seems my options are space and purchase of batteries/solar, or cozy up with the neighbor and hookup. Is this about right?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #12

There are many places with decently-spaced campsites. There's no 'list' to that effect. You'll just have to search them out.

If you want lots of space that public campgrounds would be your answer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #13

Possibly not much to add as the commentary on this has been excellent so far.
Our Motorcoach is 45' and we tow a 30' trailer.
Regardless of the overall size of your rig take the time to make sure that you can handle it. Going straight ahead is easy. Make sure that you can maneuver it around obstacles, through narrow spaces, etc. Can you back it around a corner on your blind side?
With more size you definitely eliminate being able to stay in some locations. This is however offset by the increased enjoyment of having what you want with you and in your trailer\motorhome.
You definitely have to check whether or not you will fit for yourself. We have been very tight in a park that advertised being able to handle rigs up to 78' and we have successfully stayed in a Campground that supposedly could only handle rigs up to 30'.
At the end of the day, you will get more enjoyment out of having the rig that you really want than you will have disappointment from not being able to stay in the odd location.
Davejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #14

[QUOTE=twogypsies;5447228]There are many places with decently-spaced campsites. There's no 'list' to that effect.

I agree with this. But I come from race track experience where we are right on top of each other. And obviously a lot depends on the popularity of the are you plan on stopping at. The more popular the chance of stacking them in is greater.

I usually believe the campground website when they say large spaces and haven't been disappointed yet. Also google maps is your friend as well. Overhead shots of campgrounds usually give me that extra confidence I will not be on top of my neighbor..