Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my '87 Pace Arrow I have hit the same rock twice, and bent the Kwikee steps. U can't fix stupid. After the 2nd time I moved the rock. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu are not a true RVer till you have a Robin Williams Moment.

I have done 'em all, antenna, awning and steps,, Thankfully the first two did not result in damage, (The 3rd did but minior and fixed)..

Oh well.. I now have a sensor on my steps. This is a real high tech device.

I took a DOOR SWITCH from a Jeep
And a wide "L" bracket (Corner brace) used in construction.

Drilled out a hole so the switch would mount

Mounted it so the steps depress the plunger when retracted fully (top step hits plunger)

Wire to LED on dash

Power to other side of LED

That's it. Oh, Brother P-Touch label "Steps out".
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #17

CA 95, North of the I-40, slow to 20, MPH. RR Xing.
I guess someone didn't believe the signs. ALL the under slung plumbing ; black & grey; with the associated brown stuff, on the side of the road.
Never saw the RV, but I'm sure the owner felt it ; in the pocket book.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like others here, I have had several "incidents". The one that was the most expensive, was nearly ripping my steps off, at a toll booth. The way it happened, is that when passing thru NY, one day, and on an interstate, I mistakenly took an "Auto" lane and couldn't correct my mistake in time. So, I just continued up to the booth. However, my driver's window was too high, for me to reach down and withdraw the ticket. So, I asked the DW to step out, come around to the driver's side and get the ticket. Well, she opened the door, but it wouldn't open enough for her to get out, because of the booth, next door. So, I said, "wait, I'll pull up a little, beyond the booth and you can get out". However, I didn't know that she had just pulled the door in a little, but not enough to retract the steps. When I pulled up, I heard a loud crash! The toll-person ran over and said "did you hit the toll booth?" I said "I don't know, but I hit something!". She pulled the ticket out and handed it to me and went back to her booth. After I determined what I hit, I had to back up, move over a little, pull out of the lane and drive to the edge of the road, where I took out my tools and completely remove the steps from the coach, so I could continue on. A costly mistake indeed! Why are bridges so low and toll booths so narrow?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Mizzly
That's not the 1st RV that i've seen traveling with slides out.
Most however are NOT forgotten, (they just don't work).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mizzly
That's not the 1st RV that i've seen traveling with slides out.
Most however are NOT forgotten, (they just don't work).
Mel
Seems to me that anyone with half a brain would manually force those slides IN if they aren't working, or else not move the RV.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
One rule that really helps: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get into a big rush to move your RV even a foot. Always look everywhere and do the walk around. I violated that rule in Colorado some time ago with a Montana 5th wheel and it cost me about $443 for roof repair! A limb just reached out and touched me.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The way that guy is running down the side of the road, I think he / she knows there out.
Mabe their next site is less than 20mi away, and it was'nt worth the trouble bringing them in !!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I'm ready to leave I start the engine, turn on lights and 4 way blinkers, then d0 a walk around, check headlight and clearance lights, blinkers, visual all the way around and look under engine for leaks on the ground, and visual of top of engine, as well as toad.

There are two types of RV'ers, those that have left the tv antennae up and those that have yet to do it LOL

Then when were seated and ready to go, after buckling up...we give each other a HI five and say safe trip, just our mental habit to start a safe trip, Hope you all enjoy and have a nice SAFE trip
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
He couldn't have missed the slides being out - they probably wouldn't retract - ya think?

Maybe but dont under estimate the stupidity of certain people.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #25

I have developed my checklist over the years to include things that were, shall we say, "Near Misses" and not too serious.
But the last one on my list was expensive.
Parked for lunch and went to lock the doors on our Brand New CRV. In order to lock, it meant depressing the brake pedal and shifting into Park. Much different than our previous Taurus.
To make a long story short, I engaged the E Brake to accomplish the task and when we returned and got everything back to tow mode, I forgot to release the E Brake.
On down the road a few hours we stopped and I see the rear drums are White were they used to be shinny Black. Opppssss.....
$1500 later at the Honda Dealer in Spokane, we had new rear brakes on our CRV with less than 2000 Km on it and a new line on the Check List.

For anyone towing a CRV, I use a Blank Key in the Ignition now so I can lock the doors without having to remove the key. Took me a while to realize that Honda had supplied a Blank in addition to the two Programmed keys.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Paint paddle with y\the word "antenna" printed on it. Drill a hole in and hang it with a paper clip to the storage bin door over the steering wheel. Cost free!!
I left my old antenna on a overpass in Harrisburg,Pa.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #27

Yep! watch that tailwag folks,on our first coach a 2002 37ft pace arrow I clipped the right side rear cap on a tree (and I told myself I would be more careful with this coach and not do anything so stupid again)on our current coach a 2006 37ft pace arrow I clipped the left side of the rear cap on a metal pole that guards the gas pumps from people like me.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #28

I pride myself in being able to get the motorhome parked in my driveway with ease. Well a couple of weeks ago the lawn crew was next door. I was backing in, everything was going prefect. The guy down the street started driving up the road as I was backing in. He stopped to make sure I was not coming back out. Well I was all the way in the driveway, but he was still sitting there (just trying to be nice and patient). My brain said you are as far as you can go, but for some stupid reason I backup a little more and hit the house. My MH 36ft, driveway is 35ft 11 inches. I had just repaired my ladder last month, now it's all bent. Knocked the wood around garage door away from the brick a little, and cracked the bricks all the way to the peak or the house. The whole front of the garage will have to be pulled off and re-bricked. insurance estimate $6500.00 I have not gotten quotes yet, but seems low for the work involved.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote