Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

RV/Motor Home Storage

Again, I am new to this site and RVing in general. With that in mind, I had some questions about storage. I am looking to purchase a Class Super C and wanted to know your thoughts on storage. What is the general opinion on outdoor vs indoor storage with either Class A or Class C RVs? Is it bad to store outside? I know indoor storage is more expensive, but if its better on the unit it seems that it might be worth it. Please advise.
Tillerman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Again, I am new to this site and RVing in general. With that in mind, I had some questions about storage. I am looking to purchase a Class Super C and wanted to know your thoughts on storage. What is the general opinion on outdoor vs indoor storage with either Class A or Class C RVs? Is it bad to store outside? I know indoor storage is more expensive, but if its better on the unit it seems that it might be worth it. Please advise.
Tillerman7
While common sense tells me that inside storage is better than outside storage I can tell you that my now 148k mile coach has never been stored inside and has never been covered.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like Mel, our 12 year old coach has always been outside, in the supposedly terrible Florida sun (except when we are living in it during the summer). Just like garaging your car, it's nice if you can but not terrible if you cannot.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that out of the sun would be the first objective. Is it critical? No, but sunlight does promote aging. Indoors helps to keep critters such as mice, rats, wasps, etc. away.

One thing I thought of during a particularly hard rain the other day...that while it's nice that the new wax job still is clean & dry because the MH is indoors, I don't have any idea if there are any leaks!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Indoor in temp controlled place is of course best. Covered from the sun is very good. But of course many/ most RVs do not stored as such.

A biggie is annual roof inspection and re-seal as needed, no matter how stored.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck on that "indoors" thing. I'm in the metro Detroit area which according to the 2010 Census was the 11th largest in metro area in the nation with a population of roughly 3.7. You'd think you should be able to find pretty much anything here - anything except indoor RV storage that is.

We make do with a pull-thru spot on a large outdoor storage lot that's very close to home. It's a gravel lot, 24 hour card access gate, some security cameras ... so you've got at least some hope that any incidents will at least be captured by the cameras which may be helpful after the fact. ... all for the low, low price of $600 per year. We're in the middle of our second year - with no incidents, no rodents and no problems. I've had the opportunity to meet several others parked in the same facility - some who've been parking there for years - and nobody has reported having any issues with theft or vandalism. I'm simply keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Inside a climate controlled unit is best $$$$$
Inside a closed building is next ......... $$$$
Under a roofed cover is next ............ $$$
Outside covered MIGHT be next ....... $$
Outside uncovered, rented spot ........ $
Outside, uncovered next to house like we do works best for us

Had our 2002 Dutch Star stored beside the house for 13 years and it still looked great other than some of the problems that some of the rigs had due to the bad fiberglass sheeting.
Storing the Magna the same way too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #8

Just think of all the full-timers out there...their RVs are outside all the time and if properly cared for (washed/waxed) they can look excellent. Ours did after 8 years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been struggling with this also after purchasing a unit that was stored indoors all its life. I have no choice to keep it outside for now but hope to build at least a pavilion type roof over it sometime down the road.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Indoor heated storage is practically non-existent where I live in the Mid Hudson Valley of NY State. You'd think there would be some in this well
Populated area. I kept my HRDP inside in my commercial garage but sold the property last year. Now I am getting ready to build a pole barn (heated) on a parcel I own to store my DSDP. Lots of grief with the town I live in for a permit but I really feel that it will be worth it in the long run.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We just put up a 45' steel storage deal to keep the RV in.
I love it.
Its out of the weather, stays clean and for the cost was a great investment in my opinion.
14' tall and one side enclosed to the west.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
All depends on your priorities and temperament. I'm pretty particular, and I own an older rig that I bought used. Roof replacement and water damage is no fun at all. Been there, done that (called "sweat equity"). I'm lucky to have indoor storage now at $60 mo. and will keep that spot as long as I have an RV. Sun / UV exposure does so much damage, as does freeze/thaw cycles. Water is your rig's worst enemy, and it is insidious. Sometimes you don't know you have a problem until you have a PROBLEM.

Now, if you can afford to buy new and trade up every few years, then I wouldn't worry much. But if you look at your rig as a long-term investment I'd store indoors or under shelter if at all possible.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are in North Jersey....town does not allow storage at home (we live on over an acre), indoor storage is non existent, let alone climate controlled. We pay $150.00 plus tax for a terrible, tight, curbed parking space in self storage lot. Been looking for a warehouse for years to store RVs, real estate is just to expensive around here for it to make economic sense.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Didn't want to winterize every year nor have it exposed to the sunlight uv when not necessary so built a climate controlled addition on the garage.

Can use it as extra living space in a moment's notice when all the kids visit.

Priceless!!
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage