Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autism View Post
... snipped ...
... this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. ... snipped ...
Has nothing to do with your problem, unless, of course, there is a specific legal exception along those lines. Harassment card likely doesn’t play.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Park models are akin to mobile homes, not RV's. Since this is the case he is putting two homes on a lot that may only be zoned for one home. He needs to get the regs. and talk to the zoning board.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #17

Found this, Heirloom.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-09-09-00-18-50.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	300391
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #18

Hesitant to post because I realize the OP is being protective of their child and probably has his or her mind made up no matter what is said. But,, here goes anyway. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.

Our small town down here in Texas has similar ordinances about RV parking. I can store the rig behind my house but I cannot use it as living quarters. Making it a classroom of sorts would most likely cross the line and I'd be contacted by the city if reported.

From what the OP stated in their original post, I'd bet it has to do with how the trailer is being used. I doubt seriously a $10k fine would be issued for a first offense so I imagine this has been an ongoing issue and that there is more to this than we have been told.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the site. I think you will find a lot of people wanting to help, but the material facts matter. Ignoring the tough questions or the city for that matter will not make the concerns go away.

Here is my take on your single post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autism View Post
Live in Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and they passed a law forbiding parking your RV trailer on the street, The law passed on forbidding the parking of a RV Trailer on a street has nothing to do with the story. You did not get a citation for violating that law?

and now how is it and now? What happened before you got cited?

they cited me for having an RV trailer parked off the street on my driveway behind my house in a fenced backyard,
Are you saying you have a driveway behind your house that is fenced in? Pictures would do wonders here; please attach one.

claiming I need a construction permit to park it temporarily there. I think most all cities require a Construction permit to park a temporary building or trailer

Got a fine of $10,000 and $500 a day. Are you telling us that we should believe the city approached you one day with this concern and levied you a $10,000 fine and $500/day penalty, or where you formally served notice about city code violation with deadline to rectify before being fined?

Other RV others were not cited, How do you know others were not cited or did not have a proper permit? Again do you have pictures of what the others have versus what you have?

and this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. Has anyone faced such harrassment? I would have to say "No" I have not experienced such harassment as I have never setup a RV Trailer in the backyard (inside a fence) without permit apparently in violation of city code & ordinances.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a tough one, as mentioned, park model... living quarters,,, all play into zoning, or ordiances..

I am in Pa and my county does not allow "trailers" unless they are registered and not made permantent, must be on wheels.. also parking must be in a legal parking spot on public roadway... goofy stuff..

good luck, i understand the pourpose, i would petition the twp and pass motion
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think what has happened is the OP has connected the trailer to sewage as part of the effort to help "teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own". To me this implies the young adult is living (sleeping, bathing, preparing meals and such) in the trailer. The sewage connection is the big line item as far as the city is concerned as this may change the definition of the trailer from a "mobile home" or "recreational vehicle" to a "residential unit". And if the trailer is a park model, which normally do not have waste tanks, that would add to the definition change criteria.

Many areas of the country have zoning or other such regulations that will not allow the property owner to add a second building or mobile home to a lot to be used as a living space (residential unit) unless the area is zoned for such and proper permits were first obtained. A lot of tiny house owners who thought it would make a great mother in law suite found this out the hard way. Once connected to sewer the trailer became a residential unit and city code for such must be followed.

And regarding the fines, as mentioned I suspect the OP ignored the code enforcement demands and the city has escalated from requests, to demands, to hearings and increasing fines over time.

The overnight street parking restrictions for large vehicles was enacted March 2019. Surprised they hadn't added something years earlier.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #22

Funny, the OP hasn't been back since 2:33 yesterday afternoon. As to it being a park model the original post specifically states that it is a travel trailer. Personally I think we should just let this thread die, it doesn't add a lot to the site.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Nothing like that in OPs post nor in OPs profile......
So is that info from when OP registered?

Park Model would change the whole scenario
If it is just a travel trailer as OP posted then the 'LIVING' in would be an issue
I have to disagree. The fact it is a "travel trailer" is not nearly as important as usage. Codes are usually written in non-specific terms so people cannot gerrymander they way around them to do what the heck ever they want. If you can't "Live" in an RV on your property, you cannot run a business out of it, even though that is not "Living". If the code says you cannot park a vehicle in your front yard, you can't park a boat there and claim the title specifically says "Vessel", not "Vehicle" and expect them to just give up. If city code does not allow activities such as operating a business out of your home, operating that business inside a travel trailer on your property, even if it is legally stored, doesn't create some kind of loophole that makes the city throw up their hands and say "you got us, it isn't in your home, it's in your legally stored RV, so there is nothing we can do". And even defining "living" in an RV is a matter that would be granted a great deal of leeway in the city's favor should it be adjudicated. Saying, "I am not living in the RV, I am just watching TV, cooking a few meals, taking a nap and using the toilet as a convenience, I actually live in the house" wouldn't be a winning argument. A title that says "travel trailer" is not a get out of jail free card absolving any activity inside that trailer from legal consequences. Watch a few episodes of "Breaking Bad" if you need further clarification.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #24

Betting the OP will not return. Sounds like the OP wants special treatment to violate local ordinances.

There is a reason for most laws. Usually to control someone else's behavior that is deemed different, and simply cannot be allowed.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #25

Towamencin Township

Initially we filed to build an addition on the house for the classroom, and needed a variance for an extra two feet for one corner was too close to the next door neighbor, but the next door neighbor testified before the zoning board that they did not want an autistic person so close to them. The zoning board agreed with their request and denied our permit, but told us to get a trailer and use that instead as that would be legal and no building permit required. We followed the zoning board and got the trailer. Then the zoning officer issued a first violation citation in criminal court for an "accessory structure" but never explained what was the structure. When asked, the zoning officer refused to elaborate and it went to court and was told then they meant the trailer and not a shed, etc. Trailers are legal in the neighborhood, and like many others who have trailers, only we got a citation. Our zoning code states we have a right to have trailers and recreation vehicles, but recently the township enacted a law to prohibit parking them on the street, but now we can't park it off the street either.

This township was in the news recently for not protecting a 4 year old non-verbal child with autism from being killed by elopement from their home that was beside an unprotected waterway.

A formal program under the supervision of a BCBA to teach life skills to a young adult with autism in a classroom has helped. The township did not take any action against several RV owners on my street, including one whose RV is bigger and has slide-outs, so its not size nor that it is meant to not move as often as a non-park model, the zoning officer has carried on this bigotry even though the neighbor who admitted to being a bigot against autism has since sold and moved away, and the new owner has a family member with autism.

Government is seeking as a first offense a fine of $10,000 and $500/day for having an "accessory structure" without a permit, not a parked trailer, because a parked trailer is not illegal in my neighborhood, and they know that. The homeowners association is not opposed to having this trailer, especially as it doesn't stick out like most RVs, as they forced one RV owner to park their's in their backyard.
Autism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #26

It sounds to me like what you really need is a good attorney to argue your case on the facts and not the emotional aspects of discrimination. My deepest respect goes out to you for doing the very best you can for your child. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #28

I am the zoning officer for my community and certainly understand how interpretation of local ordinances can run wild. I normally try to follow the Dillion Rule stating if I do not expressly have the power, I have no enforcement. I also own a travel trailer and it is parked beside my house, plugged into electrical and sometime I watch TV at night. Prejudice has been front page news on so many items. I try and treat everyone fairly and explain any violations long before citations. I hope that you situation ends up amicable for all parties involved and your son can enjoy life. After all, that is what we are all looking for.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr