Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 AM   #71

Palehorse89 is right. Time for this thread to go to sleep. Everyone is posting except the op. He didn't get the replies he was looking for and moved on. So should we.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 03:25 AM   #72
Community Administrator

This thread like all threads will stay open as long as our Community Rules are adhered to. Those that don’t wish to participate or see any more posts here can select “ ignore this thread”.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	301200

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #73

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriangordon View Post
I practiced law, in his area, for thirty + years and have never ever heard of this crap. I don't know how long you practiced law in Pennsylvania or where you got this crap, but I'd be delighted to hear an explanation.
Has nothing to do with law.
It has everything to do with building codes and zoning.

But such a discussion is off topic for this particular discussion.

I would suggest you read the International Building Code, in conjunction with the International Residential Code to learn more.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-n-BJ View Post
Has nothing to do with law.
It has everything to do with building codes and zoning.

But such a discussion is off topic for this particular discussion.

I would suggest you read the International Building Code, in conjunction with the International Residential Code to learn more.
Until the US cedes all governmental authority to the UN, I am going to ignore "international" building and residential codes and rely on good old state, county and city planning and zoning codes when it comes to land use. But I suppose the guy could take his case to the World Court in The Hague. If he added a side trip to see Vermeer's "Girl with the Pearl Earring", his trip wouldn't be a total waste of time.
The codes you are referring to spell out minimum construction standards, they have nothing to do with land use. Just because you can physically build something doesn't mean it is allowed. Using those codes to justify building a nursing home would be like saying the National Electrical Code spells out how to wire a RV Park, so therefore you can build one on your residential lot.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
Until the US cedes all governmental authority to the UN, I am going to ignore "international" building and residential codes and rely on good old state, county and city planning and zoning codes.
For clarification, the "International Building Codes" are what we follow in the United States, every state I've worked in has adopted the IEC, this includes International Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Gas and Energy codes. Municipalities attached local amendments to the IEC at times, but the IEC is the baseline. It's been this way for many years.

The International Building Code is in use or adopted in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Marianas Islands, New York City, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico

So it is in fact the code that all states and code inspectors follow...........

Now as far as the OP's situation, that would definitely fall under City and Zoning regulations.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
For clarification, the "International Building Codes" are what we follow in the United States, every state I've worked in has adopted the IEC, this includes International Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Gas and Energy codes. Municipalities attached local amendments to the IEC at times, but the IEC is the baseline. It's been this way for many years.

The International Building Code is in use or adopted in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Marianas Islands, New York City, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico

So it is in fact the code that all states and code inspectors follow...........

Now as far as the OP's situation, that would definitely fall under City and Zoning regulations.
I understand that the US uses those codes as minimum construction standards, and I am sure you realize that those codes have nothing at all to do with land use. And you also know that in many jurisdictions those codes have been amended by local ordinances to much higher standards and with much greater restrictions (i.e. the standard residential code applies to single and two family homes up to three stories. Many local building codes do not allow two family homes in residential neighborhoods and there are many communities that do not allow three story homes).
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Okay, just for clarification, from where does this information, above, come?

The OP joined in Sept. 2020. His profile created shortly thereafter. He has only one post. I have read nothing to indicate he is talking about a trailer that is different than the one in his profile. It may or may not be a different trailer, but I can see no evidence for the above two posts.

If I missed the evidence, please inform me as a different trailer is certainly a possibility. At this point, however, the OP has not returned to clarify anything.
The OP's profile shows "park model" as his RV Model. The OP's first post states that he has an "RV trailer" parked off the street on his driveway behind his house. If he's using the correct terminology and being honest with his wording of the situation, then he has two different trailers.

Now for some speculation:
The OP may have a park model trailer parked someplace else that has nothing to do with the situation we're talking about here.

Or maybe,, it's possible the OP stated RV trailer in his post to make his case sound better but in actuality, it's a park model instead. Hopefully not the case but ya never know.

The OP's original post:
Live in Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and they passed a law forbiding parking your RV trailer on the street, and now they cited me for having an RV trailer parked off the street on my driveway behind my house in a fenced backyard, claiming I need a construction permit to park it temporarily there. Got a fine of $10,000 and $500 a day. Other RV others were not cited, and this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. Has anyone faced such harrassment?

The OP's profile:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/autism-293388.html
Old 09-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The OP's profile shows "park model" as his RV Model. The OP's first post states that he has an "RV trailer" parked off the street on his driveway behind his house. If he's using the correct terminology and being honest with his wording of the situation, then he has two different trailers.

Now for some speculation:
The OP may have a park model trailer parked someplace else that has nothing to do with the situation we're talking about here.

Or maybe,, it's possible the OP stated RV trailer in his post to make his case sound better but in actuality, it's a park model instead. Hopefully not the case but ya never know.

The OP's original post:
Live in Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and they passed a law forbiding parking your RV trailer on the street, and now they cited me for having an RV trailer parked off the street on my driveway behind my house in a fenced backyard, claiming I need a construction permit to park it temporarily there. Got a fine of $10,000 and $500 a day. Other RV others were not cited, and this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. Has anyone faced such harrassment?

The OP's profile:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/autism-293388.html
No argument on what you posted, but everything you cite is speculation. There is no evidence that the OP has any other trailer than the one in his profile. The trailer in the profile is the only one the OP has shown "proof" that it exists.

You are trying to make a logical, cogent argument by assuming the existence of a different trailer, but the fact remains, we do not know if he has a park model only, or another trailer as well. If the OP posts again and clarifies this point, then the discussion can continue.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #79

I agree with Old Bisquit's original post. What has this owner done or not done to comply with ordinances and zoning in this township? He has cerainly not given us the whole story, that is for sure. Fines are not levied until long after ignoring what he was supposed to comply with. What does training an adult autistic son to live on his own entail? How does this supercede zoning laws? There are lots of unanswered questions here. If he is talking about an Rv trailer parked behind his own trailer, he should state such. If he is talking about a park model, he should state such. Fines of this nature are usually two to five years down the road in most townships or municipalities. I agree with someone else who stated how can this forum help? OP needs to take care of his business in a legal and logical manner. We can't do that for him. I did get the feeling that he was feeling harrased and sick and tired of the whole situation. Maybe he just doesn't have the money to pay the fines and/or he is just tired of the whole situation and it's getting him totally down. In that case, we can all sympathize him and wish him the best.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #80
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, I think there's more to the story. I doubt that Autism has anything to do with the city's decision. How high is your fence and what kind of fence is it? I suspect that one of your neighbors considers it an eysore and wants it gone, probably filing a complaint with the city.

Could you possibly teach your child in your home to get out of this situation?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #81

OP says it is his adult son he is trying to teach to live on his own. There is certainly more to this story. The only other thing I gleaned from OP is that whatever trailer he is talking about is parked "behind my house". If his house is a park model, it could be an rv trailer. We just don't know.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #82

Original Post on 9/8/2020

6 pages/82 posting ---2 by OP and 9 days later.
OP is GONE!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #83

Did LawEnforcementOfficials respond to a complaint?
Did LawEnforcementOfficials hand you a copy of the complaint against you?
How did you contact the complainant to verify the LawEnforcementOfficials are not exceeding their authority?
What did you offer the complainant to eliminate their problem with you?

Your justification for your RecreationVehicle on your property is irrelevant.
Classroom, not a classroom.
Adult offspring, not adult offspring.
Occasional occupant, not occasional occupant.
None of your rationalizations are germane.

You appear to be an adult.
Anytime you violate laws, you can expect to be punished.
Whining makes you look immature.

Seek solutions instead of staying stuck in the rationalizations you think make it all alright.
The bad news -- you are responsible.
The good news -- you are responsible.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:25 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Original Post on 9/8/2020

6 pages/82 posting ---2 by OP and 9 days later.
OP is GONE!
And the post will live on as proof people 'discriminate' against folks with medical issues. All because once he mentioned the illness, the patch should have been cleared of all obstacles.

Tags
scr