Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

RV Owner Discrimination because of Autism

Live in Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and they passed a law forbiding parking your RV trailer on the street, and now they cited me for having an RV trailer parked off the street on my driveway behind my house in a fenced backyard, claiming I need a construction permit to park it temporarily there. Got a fine of $10,000 and $500 a day. Other RV others were not cited, and this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. Has anyone faced such harrassment?
Autism is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #2

Did you comply and get construction permit?

Did you speak with planning dept about your set up?

Have you gotten a copy of the ordinance they claim your are in violation of?

Have you gone to City Council and spoke up?

How do you KNOW others have not received same citations?

You need to be vocal and proactive!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps the other owners are grandfathered in ? Perhaps the other owners are not residing in their RV's ( IE not hooked up to services ).
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autism View Post
Live in Towamencin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and they passed a law forbiding parking your RV trailer on the street, and now they cited me for having an RV trailer parked off the street on my driveway behind my house in a fenced backyard, claiming I need a construction permit to park it temporarily there. Got a fine of $10,000 and $500 a day. Other RV others were not cited, and this travel trailer is being used as a classroom to teach my autistic adult child how to live on their own. Has anyone faced such harrassment?
Sorry for your trouble's, but I think there is a whole lot more to the story leading up to this point we are not hearing.........
Old 09-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autism View Post
Its too bad so many claim discrimination. I'm sure you have not been singled out because of your autistic child. Though you are doing all you can for your child please find out the real reason for the citation and go from there.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #6

Well the Original Poster is absolutely right this is discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination. I discriminate against people wanting to rent my apartments all of the time however, it is not illegal discrimination. As an attorney I was listening to once so succinctly put it "Discrimination is not illegal, illegal discrimination is illegal." I'm with the other posters here I believe there is a whole lot more to this story than we are getting. A $10,000 fine and a continuing fine of $500 a day is not something that generally happens on the initial instance of a code violation. This is generally something that happens after a governmental agency gets tired of being ignored. It would be interesting to find out "the rest of the story". Where is Paul Harvey when you need him?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
It would be interesting to find out "the rest of the story". Where is Paul Harvey when you need him?

Dead...

I couldn't resist. Sorry.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

They are not attacking your child, but rather the placement of the RV. Homeowners associations will often have rules about this. I'm just guessing, but a complaint from a neighbor probably triggered this. You might want to consult the city, HOA, and an attorney. You can't use autism as an excuse to do whatever you want. I too have an autistic daughter.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #9

It was the OPs first post on irv2. They may be casting a wide net in hopes of gaining some support for their cause. Maybe they will come back and explain more.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #10

I would think part one of the rest of the story is the fact he is using the RV as a classroom. City codes that do not allow temporary structures on residential land are not unique, they are pretty much everywhere. And I agree the fine structure is not a first time violation, but a culmination of a whole lot of fighting and ignoring the codes. You fight city hall at your own peril.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #11

Agree with all others who feel there’s much to this that we are not being told. No violation receives a fine unless prior contact has been made and the violator has a chance to remedy the situation.

It just may be a poorly written post. Maybe he was cited and is facing a $10K fine plus daily assessments unless he complies, but that’s not how it reads.

There’s more to this story.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #12

Waiting
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The OP lists a 34ft park model as the RV. That's not a "travel trailer". It's big & park models are designed for permanent placement...they are not towed from place to place like a travel trailer is.

I would think that, without the proper permits, a park model (or any RV for that matter) would not be allowed to be placed on your lot.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The OP lists a 34ft park model as the RV. That's not a "travel trailer". It's big & park models are designed for permanent placement...they are not towed from place to place like a travel trailer is.

I would think that, without the proper permits, a park model (or any RV for that matter) would not be allowed to be placed on your lot.

Lori-
Nothing like that in OPs post nor in OPs profile......
So is that info from when OP registered?

Park Model would change the whole scenario
If it is just a travel trailer as OP posted then the 'LIVING' in would be an issue
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr