Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #1

RV Owner Survey - Information on RV'r Choices - Good or Bad?

I seen many survey's of RV'rs and the RV industry but they seem to be solicited by manufacturers and sellers and focused on who's buying what

I'm more interested in a survey of what RV'rs do and how they do it and haven't seen anything from that angle

it would be interesting to see a breakdown of ages of RV's, they actual mileage used, how often people actually go, various breakdowns by full timers versus occasional users, breakdown by age, incomes, spending, cost of full timing, health care choices, insurance choices, etc. Effectively to better understand the RV'r community.

I would think it would help us all better understand what Rv'rs do and we might use the learnings of others to improve our journey. Without such a study we are hearing peoples choices in individual threads/posts without the over all context and perspective.

Full disclosure, I have a PhD, have studied how to do research studies and my nature is to want to know how things work. So this level of minutia is interesting to me while it might not be interesting to others.

It would seem to me that a forum like this is the ideal Population for such a survey. I haven't seen or heard about any survey this forum conducts. Again I've seen the surveys out there and they seem focused on information to support sales versus use.

I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there is support and interest in doing a survey to get the big picture of living the RV lifestyle.

Thoughts?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Sam did a survey some years back concerning tires. They ended up with 70,000 respondents which meant it was statistically significant. The outcome was basically RV tires leave a great deal to be desired as about 1/3 fail catastrophically.
The problem with be getting enough to respond and recruiting through other forums and Face Book might get you there.
Go for it.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #3

I would participate in a survey. I've never done it, but some forums allow for polls to be set up. Not the same as a survey, but with the right questions could be a start.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Good Sam did a survey some years back concerning tires. They ended up with 70,000 respondents which meant it was statistically significant. The outcome was basically RV tires leave a great deal to be desired as about 1/3 fail catastrophically.
The problem with be getting enough to respond and recruiting through other forums and Face Book might get you there.
Go for it.
While the sample size might be large, I suspect the lack of randomness would make it highly biased and not a statistically sound sample that would be representative of the entire population. But it does provide some really good information for marketing/sales.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #5

So, why don’t you start a survey? Are you seeking our approval?

If you believe there is meaningful information to be gained you should put together a list of questions.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there is support and interest in doing a survey to get the big picture of living the RV lifestyle.

Thoughts?

Here is another thought (well, you asked, Haha). I think, out of curiosity if nothing else, it would be interesting to define "RV Lifestyle". Full timers certainly would qualify. What about occasional users? Is it based on frequency of use, length of trips, or maybe when it is the primary or preferred mode of vacation. IDK.

We have a travel trailer. We enjoy taking it to various campgrounds for a couple of nights every month or so. But we do a lot of other things too. I don't think of myself as living the RV lifestyle. While we enjoy the TT it is not our favorite travel vacation activity.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:28 AM   #7

They are usually so that they can target us with ads. Like the CW survey email I got this AM. They are the modern version of signing up to win something at a RV show. You will need a bigger mailbox in a week.
As to a third of RV tires failing due to the tire I say baloney. Most are run underinflated, way over DOT code time wise, hit something in the road, etc.
When was the last time you saw anybody checking their tires at a campground before they left even allowing for TPMS systems?
Old 07-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
They are usually so that they can target us with ads. Like the CW survey email I got this AM. They are the modern version of signing up to win something at a RV show. You will need a bigger mailbox in a week.
As to a third of RV tires failing due to the tire I say baloney. Most are run underinflated, way over DOT code time wise, hit something in the road, etc.
When was the last time you saw anybody checking their tires at a campground before they left even allowing for TPMS systems?
"You will need a bigger mailbox in a week."

Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
The small amount of information provided on this thread about the CW tire survey said only that 1/3 failed catastrophically. A tire could fail catastrophically for any number of reasons.

I just finished a 10 day rally with 20 other coaches. Every owner has a TPMS, so they can check tire pressure without circling the coach.

There are also enough tire pressure threads on this forum to indicate that even if everyone checked their tire pressure daily, a certain percentage of owners wouldn’t have a clue as to the correct pressure for their rig.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #10

Swduns,

As one who centers around finding failure points before they happen, & IDing where, when, why, & how it did if they do, I think you're on a good track.

As others have said the how is extreme & complex.

Others start with defining RV'er. While that would be the focal point of the analysis vector, there are the prior to's

Example: what precipitated you choosing an RV life:
1. Cost
2. Get away from life circumstances.

3. Covid-19 or other health issues.

4. Retirement integration

5. All of the above.

6. Other

Then there are becoming an RVer implementation time frames, preplanning etc etc.

Seems like it would need a plethora of answer chain vectors because of the variant complexity of individual RV paths underway just for "full timers"
Sounds like a great idea & definite need for digital structure condensing.

Go for it
Mot
Mot W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot W View Post
Swduns,

As one who centers around finding failure points before they happen, & IDing where, when, why, & how it did if they do, I think you're on a good track.

As others have said the how is extreme & complex.

Others start with defining RV'er. While that would be the focal point of the analysis vector, there are the prior to's

Example: what precipitated you choosing an RV life:
1. Cost
2. Get away from life circumstances.

3. Covid-19 or other health issues.

4. Retirement integration

5. All of the above.

6. Other

Then there are becoming an RVer implementation time frames, preplanning etc etc.

Seems like it would need a plethora of answer chain vectors because of the variant complexity of individual RV paths underway just for "full timers"
Sounds like a great idea & definite need for digital structure condensing.

Go for it
Mot

7. Mrs Ldubs said "Let's buy an RV".
Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #12

Guy knocked on the door.
I want to buy your business, & BTW your home.

We said put it on paper����⚡
35 days later we're looking @ RV's.

Mid May we're headed to so. Dakota to finish the new us paperwork.

Then learning about living in a 24sabwe cougar 12 mo. a year.
Mot W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #13

Maybe check with RVIA to see if something like this has already been done.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I seen many survey's of RV'rs and the RV industry but they seem to be solicited by manufacturers and sellers and focused on who's buying what

I'm more interested in a survey of what RV'rs do and how they do it and haven't seen anything from that angle

RVers do all sorts of things in all sorts of ways.

it would be interesting to see a breakdown of ages of RV's, they actual mileage used, how often people actually go, various breakdowns by full timers versus occasional users, breakdown by age, incomes, spending, cost of full timing, health care choices, insurance choices, etc. Effectively to better understand the RV'r community.

What sort of breakdowns? Are you just going to end up with some meaningless average RVer numbers? Retired folks are likely to use the RV more frequently than a working couple with kids. It’s a diverse group. I have neighbors who use a truck camper occasionally. Typically, we might stereotype people with truck campers as people who tow a boat and might go fishing or hunting. Those neighbors happen to be a lesbian couple who don’t own a boat and don’t go out to hunt. How will they fit into your survey?

I would think it would help us all better understand what Rv'rs do and we might use the learnings of others to improve our journey. Without such a study we are hearing peoples choices in individual threads/posts without the over all context and perspective.

This is all you’re going to get. Everybody does things their own way.

Thoughts?
Those were my thoughts. If you don’t like them, I have others.