Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
If no power available and I need power that Onan will happily purr all night and then some.

I generally go with easier to beg for forgiveness
So your "That Guy" Who is to important to respect other's
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2022, 10:18 PM   #16

I don't call a place with no hookups a park, more like a grass field or a parking lot. I guess you just have to choose your stops to suit your lifestyle. I couldn't sleep if it was over 73 or 4.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I don't call a place with no hookups a park, more like a grass field or a parking lot. I guess you just have to choose your stops to suit your lifestyle. I couldn't sleep if it was over 73 or 4.
National parks, national forests don't have hookups for all sites and I certainly wouldn't call them parking lots!

To stay cool move to higher elevation; get a campsite with electric; or a coastal park.

To stay warm, move to a warmer state in winter; run the propane furnace or a catalytic heater; more blankets.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:17 AM   #18

I doubt it's a law but if it's a rule abide by it. Seems simple to me.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We were just in a state park CG, 95 degrees, FHU running A/C. About 7:30.power failure, so ran generator till quiet time, 10 PM, then shut it down and sucked it up the rest of the night with windows open. Dem's the rules...
+1 for you.

However, a power failure with the 95-degree heat conditions could warrant an exception to the rules. I would consult the camp host for permission to run the generator. Keep in mind there are some people with health issues requiring stable climate conditions.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #20

Works for us

This is what we use. Isn't cheap but does the job.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...t-Fans_All_All

Search around, better prices available. Happy travels!
Old 07-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Simply follow the rules or move to a campground with power.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Don't go there!

Exactly. Follow the rules or go somewhere else. Most private campgrounds have a quiet time rule.

Good luck finding a place.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #23

Apparently many of the commentators here would rather chide and chastise the OP over something that the OP themselves DID NOT SAY instead of actually giving useful information that the OP ACTUALLY ASKED FOR!

The OP NEVER said they weren’t going to follow the rules, they never said anything about going to a different campground, using FHU, going off into a grassy field or parking lot or the sorts. All they asked for was what people did when it came to not being able to use their generator after 10pm on really hot/cold nights. Seriously, if you can’t answer them in the perimeters they are asking for, then DON’T ANSWER at all.

OP; Depending on how big your rig is will play a big factor in heating/cooling it. You already know AC’s are out because they are energy hogs. Depending on your furnace… how well your rv is at keeping heat, how big it is, and how warm you want to keep it it could also be an energy hog in terms of the blower running a lot, draining your batteries. For cooling it down, opening up some windows and having a couple 12v fans running will help. You could look at making/buying a “swamp cooler”, easiest is using an old cooler filled with ice or frozen water jugs and putting a fan on top of it with an exit pipe for the cold air. For heating or staying warm, if you can run the furnace all night easily then do that. If not… try to warm the rv up to more than normal during the later generator hours (blower motor power usage) to help the heat stay alittle longer, and then put the temps at something that the rv can live with comfortably, not what you can live with. You can always put on warmer clothes or use more blankets, wool ones are pretty good. You could also look at 12v heated blankets if you have the battery capacity for it. (They are energy hogs too). You could also get a soapstone bed warmer and heat it up in the oven while on generator power, and use it in your bed. It’ll help give you extra heat for a few hours while radiating some extra heat.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Go to a CG that has FHU site....or at least one with Electric

OR boondock and run Gen anytime you want.

No Gens after 10PM means No GENS AFTER 10pm

What I have had to do is plan my trip/stays in this fashion. We have a gorgeous CG close by I would love to stay at with no hook ups at all accompanied by noise rules. It seems in summer it's too hot for me to go so I've been staying at a close by State Park. So far I have yet to stay there. Perhaps in late fall I will.

Your comfort zone determines if you want to stay there or perhaps somewhere else to be comfy after hours.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:30 AM   #25

When it's hot we use the Honeywell 3 speed oscillating fan from Walmart pictured below. It sets on my desktop and sweeps air across the bed. We open the large window over the desk to draw in outside air and the two small windows in the slideout on each side of the head of the bed for cross ventilation. Easy to reach and close when the first dog in the campground begins to bark early in the morning.
The only thing touching our skin is the sheet but we keep a thin polar fleece blanket folded across the foot of the bed if it gets chilly but seldom need to use it. Our 4 GC2 batteries from Costco usually drop from 12.6 volts to 12.1 volts after running the fan and two CPAP machines at least 8+ hours every night when dry camping. I also have both TVs on power bars so I can eliminate their vampire draws during the night when they aren't needed.
Although we start the winters with 32 gallons in our ASME tank we usually operate off a 5 gal/20# DOT bottle with an EXTEND-A-STAY plumbed between the big tank and its regulator so we never have to break camp to drive the coach somewhere to get its tank refilled. We run ceramic heaters if we have pedestal power but when dry camping we use the propane furnaces set to 55°F overnight. We sleep quite comfortably under a polar fleece blanket and a synthetic down comforter. I often raise the small window next to my head a few inches for fresh air even on the cold nights. My DW doesn't raise hers. [emoji848]
Of course, the best advice when you're too hot or too cold is to fire up the RV and change your zipcode if you can. One very useful free Android app I use all the time for many reasons is Distances To. Many of the calculations are in the screenshot below.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220726-094626.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	372017Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220726-112534.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	372021
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:13 PM   #26

I use a little foresight. Before I even bought the coach I have now I assumed it would be next to uninhabitable in very hot weather without the ability to run the AC so I trip plan accordingly. In use I found that in cooler weather we can overnight without the generator just fine so that opens up more camping options come fall.

We don't even like to run our own generator, it's an older loud and smelly one. Not really that bad inside the coach I can't imagine inflicting the noise of it on a close camping neighbor. (Who is not running one also.)

I've been shopping portable inverter generators that will run just one of our AC units. Not to subvert campground rules, just to give us a quieter option.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooOnWheels View Post
What do you do at a park that has a law that you cant use your generator after 10:00pm or so, but it's real cold or real hot ?
I follow the RV park rules.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #28

am i just imagining it,or did a few posters completely miss the mark on the op's question?? don't go there and follow the rules are not exactly solutions to the question. it's really starting to sound like the old rv.net as it was circling the drain around here.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, heat, rv park