Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I guess they just don't want someone with a portable meth lab moving in.
If one had a portable meth lab going, they could probably afford to put it into a new rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jeff35,
On the purchase side, I have visited only one RV resort that had the 10 year rule and actually enforced it. If I buy there, I must submit pictures of the coach each year and have it evaluated, by the management upon arrival. I did not make a purchase. At this time of life, I'm trying to make life simpler.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #31

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Here is a state by state list of "Class A only" Resorts.........Most of them have a age limit rule......or ask for a photo to be emailed to them.......My Coach is 15 this coming year.......never been turned down yet
I can understand the reasons for the 10 year regulation. But, now that palehouse89 has brought it up, I don't understand the "Class A Only" resorts. If any Class A owners out there would have a problem with me parking my 2014 5er in the same resort, please speak up. My money seems to be good everywhere except a Class A Resort.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Show Off!! just kidding (but bet they put you in their first lane!)
Thanks!! I keep it cleaned and shined, and it is a 2003 with almost 90,000 miles on it. Going to put another 5,000 on it during the next 10 days, headed to PA and back for Christmas!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
I can understand the reasons for the 10 year regulation. But, now that palehouse89 has brought it up, I don't understand the "Class A Only" resorts. If any Class A owners out there would have a problem with me parking my 2014 5er in the same resort, please speak up. My money seems to be good everywhere except a Class A Resort.
I don't understand it either. It must be a southern states thing. In our part of the world, there's literally thousands of 5th wheels, and a handful of Class A coaches, so a rule like that up here would be ridiculous.

Last year in Nevada, we vacationed in a RV Park for a while with our son and family, us in our Class A, them in their 5th wheel. So, we wouldn't have been able to park in one of those 'Class A only' places.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a problem with a bumper pull travel trailer, 5 wheeler, Class A, B, C or any other class being parked next to me as long as it is clean and well maintained and I am fairly sure most of us don't. Lots of nice looking rigs out there to suit all tastes!!

We were at a RV park in West Memphis, AR a few months ago and a guy and his wife had one of the GMC units. His unit looked great!! We visited with him and ask him all kinds of questions about his rig. I like the looks of some of the older rigs and appreciate those that have them and restore them.

As for a Class A only resort, most of those have gold courses and other features that I don't need.. but then I do like a clean RV park. We have pulled through a few and kept on going just because the RV park owners didn't seem to care what their park looked like!!
Quote:

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mission Bay RV Resort

Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego requires your RV be 1995 or newer. That hasn't changed for about the last 10 years that I know of. That is non-negotiable, and they require you show them the registration to prove it. This RV park is owned by the city, and is a typical government operation. You know the drill, every box checked off, every blank filled in, no exceptions, no common sense or judgment required (or allowed).

Here's the rules:
Mission Bay RV Resort Park Rules San Diego, California

Haven't stayed there for quite a few years, but it was a fine place to stay at.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego requires your RV be 1995 or newer. That hasn't changed for about the last 10 years that I know of. That is non-negotiable, and they require you show them the registration to prove it. This RV park is owned by the city, and is a typical government operation. You know the drill, every box checked off, every blank filled in, no exceptions, no common sense or judgment required (or allowed).

Here's the rules:
Mission Bay RV Resort Park Rules San Diego, California

Haven't stayed there for quite a few years, but it was a fine place to stay at.

We stayed at Mission Bay and were not impressed one bit. It was filled with a bunch of low life's and Believe me, I am far from being a snob . Would never stay here again !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate here and it's something we've pondered as with a family of five - including two special needs kids, we're outgrowing our 45' DP and like the floor plans of fivers better.

My issue -- and certainly not a generalization, mind you -- is largely the tow vehicles many use for fivers. A stock pickup, in my opinion, isn't a problem -- in fact, I have a 2015 Chevy 3500HD - it's pretty quiet. The issue is the weekend warriors that mod their pickups to the gills, tune them, open up the exhaust (my personal favorite are the straight stacks out of the bed of the truck :( ) and as that's their only mode of transportation once the fiver is setup, the rest of the campground has to listen to those things touring around the campground. We were in a park in Indiana in the fall for two weeks. Every morning at 4:15AM, the .... gentleman... next to us would start his over-modified Dodge Ram diesel dually ("BANKS POWER") stickers on the back, stacks going through the bed -- (ie: the guy thinks it's a Kenworth and he's a truck driver. ) He'd then go back into his trailer and let it idle (fast idle at that) for 30 mins before leaving.

So obnoxious and the lack of common sense and basic courtesy some of these folks display is what prompts these perceived elitist policies.

It's the same thing with motorcycles. Because these guys use their harleys like golf carts to get around parks, many are incorporating policies "to and from site only" or disallowing them altogether. Some even require they be stored somewhere else.

So, in short, I don't feel it's the trailers that are necessarily being excluded (except apart from a toy hauler loaded with ATVs) but the tow rig. Campgrounds aren't going to get into "what type of modifications have you made? is it loud?" -- it's just easier in a quieter park/campground to say "Class A" only. Once a Class A is parked, it's parked and not going anywhere until it's off to its next destination.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"mel s".....Someone's going to take you seriously! On that note....I have some old window glass I can ship you.
Don
Thanks for the offer.
Can you send 8-10' of duct tape too, (to hold the glass over window openings)? ....I had to sell the 2 now missing windows to pay the site fee in this overpriced RV "Resort").
That might "pretty-up my" coach enough that they let me stay another night.
BTW, I wish that my coach had failed inspection when I first got here.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #39
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Jeff35
It is, but only ENLIST RV Parks have that discriminatory policy, (and even then they might allow you to be their customer if your coach passes an inspection)!
However, because I don't want to spend my $$ at a park like that even more than they don't want my old coach... (and because my coach does NOT like to be inspected by anyone but me), it has never been a problem.
However I do occasionally drive through one.... (so they can see what they're missing).
Mel
'96 Safari
ENLIST RV Parks?? Huh??

on edit > Elitist !!! Duh! Spell check strikes again Mel! Sorry, I'm a little slow this morning
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
We stayed at Mission Bay and were not impressed one bit. It was filled with a bunch of low life's and Believe me, I am far from being a snob . Would never stay here again !
I have been to Mission Bay RV park several times, not as a camper but to use their boat ramp during Bayfair Thunderboat Races. We launched and loaded our rescue boats there every day. There were a lot of nice rigs there, but there were also a lot of undesirable people hanging out (loitering). Some even resembled gang bangers, but maybe that's just the way they dress. I found them to be very rude and I would never stay there even though the location is amazing.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here and it's something we've pondered as with a family of five - including two special needs kids, we're outgrowing our 45' DP and like the floor plans of fivers better.

My issue -- and certainly not a generalization, mind you -- is largely the tow vehicles many use for fivers. A stock pickup, in my opinion, isn't a problem -- in fact, I have a 2015 Chevy 3500HD - it's pretty quiet. The issue is the weekend warriors that mod their pickups to the gills, tune them, open up the exhaust (my personal favorite are the straight stacks out of the bed of the truck :( ) and as that's their only mode of transportation once the fiver is setup, the rest of the campground has to listen to those things touring around the campground. We were in a park in Indiana in the fall for two weeks. Every morning at 4:15AM, the .... gentleman... next to us would start his over-modified Dodge Ram diesel dually ("BANKS POWER") stickers on the back, stacks going through the bed -- (ie: the guy thinks it's a Kenworth and he's a truck driver. ) He'd then go back into his trailer and let it idle (fast idle at that) for 30 mins before leaving.

So obnoxious and the lack of common sense and basic courtesy some of these folks display is what prompts these perceived elitist policies.

It's the same thing with motorcycles. Because these guys use their harleys like golf carts to get around parks, many are incorporating policies "to and from site only" or disallowing them altogether. Some even require they be stored somewhere else.

So, in short, I don't feel it's the trailers that are necessarily being excluded (except apart from a toy hauler loaded with ATVs) but the tow rig. Campgrounds aren't going to get into "what type of modifications have you made? is it loud?" -- it's just easier in a quieter park/campground to say "Class A" only. Once a Class A is parked, it's parked and not going anywhere until it's off to its next destination.

What is wrong with a tune rig????

I had an issue with my neighbor next door to me two years ago at a public park in OH. It was a women's long weekend and they would stay up till all hours of the night talking extremely load and playing their music all night. Sleep in till the afternoon and start all over again the next day. Will I ask them to hold it down to a slight roar but to no avail!!! Will pay back is a
_ _ _ _ _.

I started my truck on Sunday at 8:00 AM; turn up the high idle to 1500RPM and turned on the exhaust brake. Since it is tuned up truck the Exhaust brake sounds like a high pitch jet engine running. Sat and IDLED the truck has I went about and broke camp, they did wake up that morning real early for them.

Jim W.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
What is wrong with a tune rig????

I had an issue with my neighbor next door to me two years ago at a public park in OH. It was a women's long weekend and they would stay up till all hours of the night talking extremely load and playing their music all night. Sleep in till the afternoon and start all over again the next day. Will I ask them to hold it down to a slight roar but to no avail!!! Will pay back is a
_ _ _ _ _.

I started my truck on Sunday at 8:00 AM; turn up the high idle to 1500RPM and turned on the exhaust brake. Since it is tuned up truck the Exhaust brake sounds like a high pitch jet engine running. Sat and IDLED the truck has I went about and broke camp, they did wake up that morning real early for them.

Jim W.
This sounds like a great process to extend the life of your diesel engine
Putting the fuel to it and blocking off the exhaust........
On all "engine brakes" (All kinds) if installed correctly, you should not be able to do this, feed the engine fuel with a engine brake on.