Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
RV Park slowdown?

We are at Seven Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville OR, one of the nicest resort parks in Oregon. We arrived Sunday and here for the week and very surprised about 1/3 sites unoccupied. Last RV park in Eugene same thing. Wondering if folks staying home? Diesel/gas prices? Recession? Are you seeing this at parks in other parts of the country?
Rodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #2

Good for you. Every where we have been in Colorado last 2 months, parks have been 95%+ full. We are finding most parks are 90% full of full timers, seasonal or workers. Fortunately we are able to get most of our first choices except on weekends.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We hit Seven Feathers in June, just for an overnight. It was a four-week trip and we had booked all of our sites a few months we left....10 campgrounds. We got sites without issue. Our second stop on the trip, a KOA in Red Bluff that we like, was only about one third full. Since we were only at Seven Feathers one night, and it was pouring, we didn't check out how full it was. As the tripped progress, we had one campground call us about an upgrade as people were backing out.

We hit the FMCA Rally in Coos Bay Oregon, and I believe over a third of the attendees backed out. We also noted that as we traversed California north and south, there were very few RV's on the road in June. I'm also starting to get more adds for campgrounds, so they must be slowing down.

Diesel is still $6.00 a gallon at Costco in California and Oregon and Washington were not that much cheaper.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
"We hit the FMCA Rally in Coos Bay Oregon, and I believe over a third of the attendees backed out."

Not hardly. In fact there were only 20 that cancelled and 6 of those were for mechanical reasons. Two claimed COVID. The FMCA president cancelled because it was to expensive for him and Clare to fly out. Other cancellations were at member request so I don't know the real reason. There were 52 from CA attending
Old 08-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #5

I think it's a combination of folks now going back to their olde modes of vacation (cruises, flights, resorts etc) and of course the high price of fuel right now for those on tighter budgets.

We were at Seven Feathers in early July, parked at the back with their blessing dry camping. Were there many folks in that area that's free to stay at there???

When we were there I was surprised there were only 6 of us in that parking area and when we checked out the RV Resort across the road somewhat there was hardly anyone in the sites with Hook Ups especially considering temps were in the upper 90's and even hit 102Degs in Roseburg a little further North we were at prior.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
"We hit the FMCA Rally in Coos Bay Oregon, and I believe over a third of the attendees backed out."

Not hardly. In fact there were only 20 that cancelled and 6 of those were for mechanical reasons. Two claimed COVID. The FMCA president cancelled because it was to expensive for him and Clare to fly out. Other cancellations were at member request so I don't know the real reason. There were 52 from CA attending
I guess we got bad info.....we were told that many cancelled. The campground wasn't full. It was a good rally in terms of food and entertainment, but I think Covid kept vendors away, which has been happening at places we've been.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #7

School starts early in the West - some in July and most in August. Also, the coastal states still have fuels at a much higher prices than the other states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #8

We've only been out a couple times so far this summer and both places were pretty full. Of course our first trip was a holiday so that was expected, but our second trip was all mid week and the park was at least 90% full every night. We have a longer trip planned in September to some more remote places that could be more empty. I guess we'll see.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #9

We find that weekends, particularly holiday weekends are full. Sunday thru Thursday nights, we could get in anywhere.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

How does the president of a national organization say it’s too expensive to fly. That’s BS. Just say you couldn’t make it or you didn’t want to come.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Good for you. Every where we have been in Colorado last 2 months, parks have been 95%+ full. We are finding most parks are 90% full of full timers, seasonal or workers. Fortunately we are able to get most of our first choices except on weekends.
Only into week 3 of 4 for us on the east coast of Can. and are seeing the same. Lots of people using it as their summer cottages it seems.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:05 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
We are at Seven Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville OR, one of the nicest resort parks in Oregon. We arrived Sunday and here for the week and very surprised about 1/3 sites unoccupied. Last RV park in Eugene same thing. Wondering if folks staying home? Diesel/gas prices? Recession? Are you seeing this at parks in other parts of the country?
That's a real nice park that we usually overnight at on our way south, then north.
Always say I'm gona make a trip there for a week or so in the summer, but hasn't happened !
Old 08-11-2022, 11:35 PM   #13

Fly private jet and helicopter that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
How does the president of a national organization say it’s too expensive to fly. That’s BS. Just say you couldn’t make it or you didn’t want to come.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:58 AM   #14

East Coast here. We live about an hour from Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge TN in the Smokey mountains and this is where we camp. There are probably 50~ campgrounds in the area and most of them are full all summer and fall.

In fact, prices keep climbing. One of our favorite campgrounds was $80/night 2 years ago and now is $220/night in season. Demand in our area remains very high. You have to book some campgrounds a year out to get in.

I'm now looking for smaller campgrounds or someone with private property that rents out to RVs.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park