Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #1

RV Parking App

I am wondering if technology is available in another industry that could be adapted to parking an RV in a specific space?

It would work like this;

You arrive at an RV park, drive to your assigned space, and place a sensor at each of the four corners. These would send a signal to your phone giving you a picture of exactly where you are relative to the sensors. Easy Peasy.

Does anyone in this vast knowledgeable collective know of such technology in some other application?

And yes, I know that is what DW's are for...
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

The problem I see is that so many RV sites don't just have 4 corners, they also have obstacles like marker posts, and overhanging limbs.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

I would either back over the sensors and smash them, or drive away and leave them sitting on the ground. And why do I need to know where I am in my site? I already know where I am, on top of the water faucet and the electric pedestal.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #4

LOL ^
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would want it to be an AUTOPARK function. Sensors scan the area. Computer plots best approach. Servos using the data take over wheel, brake and gas
Crowd breaks into a cheer and hands me an adult beverage....
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #6

Rocky, I like your options!
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

I thought this post was serious for a minute. Then 2 answers made me laugh. Thanks!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I thought this post was serious for a minute.
It is serious. Many people thought Tesla, Einstein, Edison, Westinghouse and Hedy Lamarr were all crazy at some point in time. Where would we be without them (except perhaps for the one who proved you can electrocute an elephant with 12 volts)?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The need for brains will soon be obsolete. People will be totally dependent on technology and won't know how to do anything manually. It is even getting difficult to hire a truck driver who can efficiently drive a big truck with standard transmission. If I can't drive it, I don't want it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
The need for brains will soon be obsolete. People will be totally dependent on technology and won't know how to do anything manually. It is even getting difficult to hire a truck driver who can efficiently drive a big truck with standard transmission. If I can't drive it, I don't want it.
It's even harder to find a truck driver who can handle a team of horses but fortunately, thanks to technology, it's not a skill that's needed very much any more.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d...rking-car2.htm
No sensors required.....No APP necessary... already here?
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
With any luck at all I will be dead and gone by the time all this comes to be.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #13

I have sensors on my motorhome. They're called mirrors, cameras and wife. If the first 2 don't work the 3rd makes loud noises to let me know I'm out of position. I guess my brain is the app.

And judging from a lot of folks I meet, brains became obsolete years ago.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #14

After being trapped in the parking area of a truck stop and watching a "professional" driver utterly FAIL at backing up her truck for over 15 minutes... There are people who need this technology NOW and are already clinically brain dead.

Even with a spotter trying to help her, she managed to nearly jackknife it twice and after 15 minutes could only land diagonally across 5 spaces at a 45 degree angle. There were (thankfully) no other trucks in her way... But jeebus. Did she get her CDL in a box of crackerjacks?

Note: This was NOT a Swift truck, surprisingly enough.

Tags
parking, rv park