Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
Bruce

Please explain to me a noob what BLM is?
Sorry I missed your post! Thanks to the other folks for explaining it to you.

Here is a website to checkout BLM camping in Colorado:

BLM Colorado | Camping

We have quite a few to choose from here, and about half are somewhat developed, which means they have a dirt road that leads to a large open area for your moho, fire rings in place, etc. You have to pick wisely, depending on how close you want to be to ATV groups, horses, dirt bikes, etc. We enjoy it all, and know some great places to get away from all of the noise when needed.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #30

We just stayed at a Virginia State Park and the fee was $42 for the first night and $37 for each additional night. That is way too expensive for just water and electric. We can find very nice private campgrounds in rural areas for much less.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
I am a newbie but it seems to me my idea of a campground varies greatly from most.

From where I have been so far (Limited) if the name has RV in it then it is just a park not a campground (for the most part)

Seems State Parks and COE are what I call campgrounds! (actual trees not just a pad)

Is it just me or is this the way it is over most of the country?
When I was young and foolish I would sleep on the ground and out under the stars. Always woke up with misquote bites and a stiff back and a damp sleeping bag. That was my early days when I was a Boy Scouts and in Explores.

I than graduated to a 9'X12' tent with my wife and first born son. Still woke up with a stiff back and misquote bites; but we were at least dry.

We than graduated to a Cox trailer and then on to a StarCraft 8 pop up trailer. No more stiff back; misquote bites and we were even warm and dry.

Now that we are retired I want to pull up to a RV site. MY DW push a button and the legs extend and I unhook the truck. She then touches another button the trailer self levels and the slides extend. I open up the awning and sit in my chair and relax. To me this is way better than sleeping out under the stars and waking up wet and damp with misquote bites and a stiff back.

Jim W.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #32

As long as you have a fire pit and picnik table at the site you are camping...

In my area federal camps and most state parks do not have hook ups so I do not go, I only go to places with full hookups so that is private campgrounds and camp resorts. A name is a name but to be a true resort a place must meet certain criteria. Things like on site restaurant, swimming, no metal sheds on sites and the like. If they meet enough requirements they become a resort. In New England there are resorts and campgrounds, many campgrounds have just as much as some resorts, pools, food, cable etc. we pick an area we want to go and camp.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVing is many things... and variety is the spice of life. In one week we went from one form of camp to another, and as previously stated - full time makes a big differnce. You mix it up on purpose - it's not so much about the place - the journey is the destination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430058262355.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	92594   Click image for larger version

Name:	1430058289439.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	92595  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots o' verbiage here, tx, but you're basically right.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
The way I see it. There are big differences between a campground and an RV Park/Resort. I think it just has to do with the amenities.

Right now I am at "Hidden Ridge RV Resort" in Shelbyville Michigan.
I come here often because I can still drive to work and it's only 5 minutes further. I have free wifi, cable TV and a cement pad. During the summers, I go hang out at the pool and hot tub at 9 at night. People here you dont ever have to complain about people being to loud at night.

When I go to campgrounds, such as state parks and private "campgrounds". The sites are either gravel or grass. You dont always have full hookups. The facilities arent always kept up to par like an RV park would. Not all of them are bad, but I think it's the expectation.
At night the campgrounds can become rowdy, people up till wee hours in the morning, and hoping that they go to bed soon so you can get up and cook breakfast.

RV parks most of them require an age under 10 years old. Mine is a 1998, but was taken such good care of before I bought it, and it's still shining. So management said I could come in. I always wash it before every trip.
Where as campgrounds, you can come in with a 1978 pieces of crap with the paint coming off. Or MH's that back fire every 5 minutes.

I prefer RV parks, but I also like to camp with my cousins and friends and they like to pitch tents outside. So that is when I go to the state parks. which is fine with me. I can handle that.

That is my opinion about RV parks Vs Campgrounds.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #36

Years ago we had a tent and it was okay.

Could setup in the dark as that is when we got there...

Was young and hard ground not so bad.

Now prefer to pull in...shut engine off and set brakes then activate levelers then step out and while talking to others watching the coach level itself.

Was lots of fun the first time as the other family had manual levelers on gas rig and ours auto on air ride dp so it has built in delay for air bags to deflate.

Just enough time to get out and "act suprised" ...
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of "treed" parks do not have large enough sites for the
bigger RVs. They are also mostly dry camping.

When we travel with the motorcycle we like the "treed " campgrounds.
When we have the 40 foot MH towing a car, we prefer a spot we can get into and out of.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #38

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
Funny, I always thought a campground had places to pitch tents with a fire ring. If you were lucky, you got a bath house with that.

Everything else is just RVing.

Like already said, different strokes.

Judging from the number of resort/RV campgrounds, they are doing OK at offering that service.

Us, we do a couple/few "camp out" trips in the MH per year. You know, break out the pie irons, marshmallow sticks and have a campfire, hike and all that.

The rest of the time, we are just using our motel on wheels. It is kinda nice to have the amenities when traveling, not "camping."
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
For those who don't use the term camping or campground what terminology do you use? Somehow saying "let's go parking next week" doesn't quite cut it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #40

We don't stay in a tent. But we say we're going camping .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #41

To me a campground has no hookups.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
For those who don't use the term camping or campground what terminology do you use? Somehow saying "let's go parking next week" doesn't quite cut it.
When people tell me what I'm doing is not camping. I tell them I'm going "RVing"

Tags
campground