Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #15

just wondering how old some of the sat. images are as i zoomed in on our business and it was showing our old roof which was replaced over 3 yrs. ago. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use www.dishpointer.com with great success in helping to select sites at campgrounds. I like it because it also gives me the pointing directions for my system.

I can also check out future campgrounds. It sure helps in our trip planning. Just another tool to help make the trip a pleasant one.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor2BnC:
I use www.dishpointer.com with great success in helping to select sites at campgrounds. I like it because it also gives me the pointing directions for my system.

I can also check out future campgrounds. It sure helps in our trip planning. Just another tool to help make the trip a pleasant one.
That's a keeper also.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
If you haven't tried Virtual Earth yet, take a look at it. You can even get what they call "Bird's Eye View" on many places. That will take you to about 9 feet in some places. It is fun to play with, but no it isn't live time satellite either and you don't see people except as little dots, never when you zoom in. How do they do that?

3 fur kids, Abby (cockapoo), Hershe (border collie), Kiki (cat)
dusty567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just tried Virtual Earth, the arial photo of my area is from the 90s. A large housing development and a service station built in the early 90s arn't there.

Glenn
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The Yahoo maps image is about a year old in my area and I have used it many times searching campgrounds and surrounding landmarks.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #21
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor2BnC:

Add another thanks from me for this site. We sometimes spend a lot of time trying to figure out which campground or which site might give us a good satellite view. We have satellite TV AND internet and we need to hit 2 different satellites. This will make it a lot easier. I especially like the obstacle checker.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you try the 'Street View' in Google Maps. Just click on the 'human' icon and drag him to a street location. It will switch to a 'driver level' view of the road.

You can then pan 360 degrees and proceed to 'drive' down the road via your computer screen and mouse.

A great way to check out the access to a campground before you are driving a 40 foot monster with a toad that can't make U-turns!

A good place to try this feature is the Keys. Search for Big Pine Key and it will let you 'drive' down the Overseas Highway all the way to Key West.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote