Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Parks taking CC card information

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue or has any suggestions for it. Recently, we booked a reservation for a month at an RV resort. They wanted a credit card number to "hold" the reservation. They charged basically one night at the time of reservation, then the balance on check it. Ok...understand they want something tangible to hold the reservation. Had really no issue with this, done it before. However, after being at the park for about 17 days...I noticed a weird "pre-auth" fpro $2 on my bank (yep, I check it almost daily). I immediately started figuring out what this was, and it turns out it was a pre auth from an adult web site hosting site (uh-huh, I know)...which I had never used. I immediately called the hosting site, without giving them any further info then what they had, informed them it was a fraudulent charge and to stop it. They assured me they would. I then called the debit/credit card stop loss number and they suggested cancelling the card and issuing a new one..they said 10-14 days is the normal and optimal time for CC number thefts to use the card. Then had to call my bank on Monday AM to get another card issued. All a major hassle since we are traveling out of state. I went to the office of the RV park and asked them how they handled my data. The park told me they physically write it down, with the exp date and 3 digit code on the reservation form. Until you check in, and then they claim they shred it. For reasons I won't go into here, I KNOW this is where my data got sold to this "hosting site". However, from the time you reserve until you check it, your info is right there for any employee to take.

So...background above...question is: any ideas to protect ourselves from people writing down our CC numbers like this? Most parks insist on a CC card number to hold a space. Understand that part. I know its protected with the bank, etc...just don't want the hassle of trying to recoup.

Rather than maintain a separate bank account just for this purpose which would probably incur service charges (as you would want to keep the balance very low).... Has anyone ever used one of the "pre purchased" VISA/MASTERCARDS (the type you give as gifts) strictly for the purpose of "reserving" then used your normal expense card when you arrive? Keep say, a $100 balance on it? Was thinking of trying this....but I think they incur some service charges too...might be worth the protection however.

??
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Ok. I run a Campground. When you call to make a reservation we charge your card for one night right then and never write down your card number. If you cancel we get your card info from you and refund the previous charge. If you make a reservation on-line the reservation company takes the full amount of your stay at time of reservation. There are laws concerning the handeling of your CC info. If it is just written down there is chance of fraud to take place. No one should do that.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Ok. I run a Campground. When you call to make a reservation we charge your card for one night right then and never write down your card number. If you cancel we get your card info from you and refund the previous charge. If you make a reservation on-line the reservation company takes the full amount of your stay at time of reservation. There are laws concerning the handeling of your CC info. If it is just written down there is chance of fraud to take place. No one should do that.

Mark
Continuing on with Mark's excellent advice... Don't ever use your Bank Debit Card to buy things or reserve things over the internet or over the phone. Even if used as a CC the thieves still have your banking information and can draw from your checking account until your realize there is an issue. For the most part you can get that back (if you can prove the fraud) but it takes longer and there is more paperwork then with a regular CC.

Suggestion for making phone reservations, use a prepaid card for the initial night and then when you show up have them run your regular card in person with you standing there for the remainder of the stay.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post

Mark
If you don't write it down, do you enter it directly in to the on line system when the customer is on the phone? Are the laws concerning the handling of CC info federal laws?

I had this same type of fraud happen last month with Disneyland. Our grandson was going there to celebrate his 5th birthday party and DW called ahead to have his room decorated with their Happy Birthday stuff.

She gave her CC number to the lady on the phone. Two days later our CC company called us and said there was suspicious activity. Sure enough, there was already >$1000 in charges racked up from Disneyland and the surrounding area.

This has happened to me a couple of times now but I don't personally see the hassle being worth things like setting up and managing a different bank account.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

What we do is most likey different from others. We enter your info directly into the CC terminal. Then enter your name and such into the reservation. In our case reservation folder. I don't use a computer to enter reservations. The Reservation company we use for on-line reservations I print as a record and it goes into the folder with no credit card info. I can acess the Reservation system to add charges for additional days or to cancel and refund if i need to for on-line reservations.
We are a small campground and easy to manage our reservations.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Sorry Rick

The law is State I believe. It regulates how you handle and store peoples CC info.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

Just as a point of information. It makes no difference if the clerk writes it down, or just enters it into the computer. In every case where I have made a phone reservation, the clerk ALWAYS repeats the number audibly, and any bystander has the opportunity to overhear it, write it down, with all the verifying info being repeated audibly, and have fun anonymously.

This was impressed upon me again, just the other day, when I heard the
propane delivery person calling in the cc information for a customer. The truck was running, he was on his cellphone, and had to speak rather loudly. I was two doors away, and heard all the information clearly.

In my opinion, if you have on line access, it's a good idea to check it daily, at least.

GL Arnold
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My number got stolen while at a hotel about 15 yrs ago. Well the bar to be exact. Hassle to fix but got it fixed finally.
Thom's just got taken while at a gas station. Someone had put a reader over top of the gas pump and took his info. They started to use it right away and the bank caught it ASAP and he had it cancelled within about 10 mins of it being stolen and a new one on the way. Again a hassle to fix but it was fixed.
If you happen to have one of those cards with the "tap to buy" ability your number can get taken by someone within a few feet of you in a crowd and you would not know until they started to use it.
Just letting you know that your numbers can be taken anywhere and it's best to always double check everything with your accounts.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

And it should be obvious, but deserves mentioning. You should have more than one card, in case you do need to cancel. Or get cancelled...

GL Arnold
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #10

google SHOPSAFE Generates different credit card # for each Transaction. You set the amount and time it expires.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

I'm thinking about the KTTW and now wrist bands with charging privileges that Disney is now rolling out. Are these the types that can be read by a bystander with a device?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

There is a credit card security standard that is more than just state-wide. It is a part of all the major credit card processing companies. It is called PCI complance. For your experience here it sounds like the merchant is not following compliance. Compliance includes securing any credit card data, which sounds like these folks are not doing. The writing down of your credit card number is not a specific violation but is not a reccomended "best practice" and typically indicates they are not following the policy anyways. If they do retain the information they are required to secure it. The processing company requires merchants to prove they are compliant, however, if they are not compliant the punishment is just a small fee. Often the fee is easier than dealing with the compliance. There is not really a way to complain or report a suspected violation that I am aware of but the RV Park manager/owner may be greatful to learn that he can reduce his credit card processing cost by becoming compliant (which he probably is not aware).

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org...ards/index.php
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We appreciate the great info and tips. Campingman...it sounds to me like you're doing it the best way for everyone! Hope I visit your campground someday. Apparentely, this is neither standard pratice or even common. I will interrupt someone if they begin to repeat my card number, and tell them not to...even if they say there's no one around. I'll repeat it to them again for verification. I don't know what the laws are regarding the state I'm visiting, since its such a HUGE state, I guess there's no harm in mentioning Texas here....but I'm always careful to ask them what are you charging now (if anything) and if they are, requesting a receipt be mailed to me via email, if they don't have the capability to do that, I usually just halt the transaction and go another way. Up to now, this has worked fine. I'm thinking I'll try the prepaid card route just for phone reservations, whatnobeer. That's a good way to do it. I already have 2 accounts on one bank and one in another (backup if the first is down and I needed $$). So agree with glarnold that I don't want another account to balance and watch over. I'll check out google SHOPSAFE too cjgjr...thanks for the info. I have seen the wristbands that some campgrounds use, and that Disney is proposing using...but those usually have to be scanned with a hand device. Question is, in a crowd, could someone with a bogus/rogue device pick up numbers to then use elsewhere? But I think they would have to be able to print a barcode like the wristband has for it to work? If they are using the chip encoded bracelets....whoa....that could be a whole new set of headaches. I don't go to any campground (or anywhere else for that matter) that requires me to wear a wristband. Knew I'd get some good info here!! Thanks all!
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The campground where I am at right now uses wristbands but usually just in summer and just on the weekends. They keep track of who's paid and who has not. People can camp or use the park for day use. Some people try to use the park without paying. It allows them to see at a glance who's there only for day use and to politely let them know when time for them to leave is so that the ones that are camping get to use the facilities for awhile without extra people there.