Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2021, 05:20 AM   #15

You can find acceptable deals but there are some factors that have to be considered. First you have to get informed on what it is and where it is. That means being able and willing to search far and wide for something. How long has this particular unit been on the ground at that dealer? The longer it sits, the more willing they will be to "deal". How many of a particular model are at that location? The more the merrier!!!. You have to be patient and not display the "have to have it" mentality. Make OTD offers as that the only figure that matters. GET INFORMED and know what fees are state law mandated and what they add to it to enhance their bottom line.

Tomorrow I am buying a new Thor Motor Coach Omni XG32. I'm going to travel 360 miles to get it. That particular coach has been at that dealership since at least mid March and they have a second one that recently arrived. I physically drove it mid March on my trip out west. I negotiated just over 26% off the MSRP that's on the build sheet. No trade involved as their trade numbers were no good. I was looking at, and made an offer on one closer, (it's twin the Thor Magnitude), but the actual unit sold and they wanted $20K more to bring one in from one of their other locations.

On another note I had a truck and trailer, shown in the sig line, that I needed to sell in order to buy the Omni. With today's market I did pretty well and the buyers also did pretty well also.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2021, 05:55 AM   #16

I agree and you'll always be able to create a list of why not's.

You said,
Quote:
My wife and I have been considering the purchase of an RV for years.
Most likely there will never be a "right" time to buy, however many have and did purchase and have enjoyed RVing for years.

It's not perfect, never will be.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #17
NXR

If you're waiting for prices to go down, that's probably not going to happen for a long time if ever, on anything. Dealers and pretty much all manufacturers have realized that people will pay the higher prices for the same product so why would they start offering big discounts again?

Ray
Old 05-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJH View Post
But the thought of spending a week or so inside the relatively small living space of a C or B+ RV is not very appealing.

You might want to think about possibility that you live around your RV not in it. Yes sleeping and showering will probably be inside of the RV but even cooking can be done outside of it. Just food for thought.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #19

There are some very simple solutions to the problems you listed.

-Buy used
-Pay cash
-Fix it yourself
-Plan reservations ahead of time

All that being said, even used rigs are overpriced right now.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If you're waiting for prices to go down, that's probably not going to happen for a long time if ever, on anything. Dealers and pretty much all manufacturers have realized that people will pay the higher prices for the same product so why would they start offering big discounts again?

Ray
Supply side economics does really work and applies. When the demand is high and supply is low, as in current situation, prices go up. If/when the supply of parts and accessories catches up and the volume of RVs increases, that supply will increase. When the economy starts declining, and it will, the demand for frills and fun things will go down and trust me RVs are not a necessity and are a frill. When a dealer's lot is full and has been a while, discounts to sell will go up. When the dealer's lot is full and he/she doesn't order units from the factory, the factory will be forced to reduce some costs, reluctantly so, or go out of business.

If the downturn is severe, and likely it could be, a number of RV manufacturers will go out of business just like in recent memory. 2008 and after for those who forgot. Of course inflation, interest rates, and fuel will likely be sky high also so RV purchases and travel by anyone will be expensive.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I agree and you'll always be able to create a list of why not's.

You said,

Most likely there will never be a "right" time to buy, however many have and did purchase and have enjoyed RVing for years.

It's not perfect, never will be.
Haha!! To your point I have been all over the US and into Canada over the last 6 years while I know MANY people that have been telling me they are going to do it "next year".

Always right after they put a roof on or replace the XXXX or their kid gets out of school or in school !!!!

Shoot I am on my third RV while someone I know cant decide if they are going to buy a travel trailer.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
My wife and I have been considering the purchase of an RV for years. We almost purchased a Winnebago Forza 36H last year, but changed our minds when the dealer started making last minute, unrequested finance changes. We are now, once again, getting the itch to purchase an RV, but based on the research I have been doing, this may be a bad decision. My findings are as follows.
  • High RV prices
  • Low RV supply
  • Poor customer service
  • Difficult scheduling service
  • Packed RV parks

Are my facts correct or am I just reading biased reports and watching biased videos?
This pretty much sums it up. If you wait a year or so the market will be flooded with 1-2 old rigs that folks bought for the Pandemic and now that they can travel more will give up on the RV idea or they really cannot adapt to RVs.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #23

Just spent our 3rd winter in florida (4 months) in our Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r. Granted, my wife and I are not big people but it works for us. Added a toad this winter which made the whole situation easier since we were staying in one place(due to Covid.). Low initial purchase price, easy to service (Ford V-10), easy to drive and easier to find a CG spot(24' overall). My friends with Class A Diesel pushers think we are crazy but we end up in the same parks with the same view, ammenities, neighbors etc......
Old 05-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #24

Reality is that if you want a coach today...you must pay todays prices.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #25

I just turned 64. Retiring in a few years. We’ve been talking about getting a 5th wheel for years. Yes, prices are high. Yes it’s a bit of work getting a spot in popular campgrounds during high season. We decided to do it anyway. We aren’t getting younger. I read a quote here by someone that said “live your life your entire life”. For us, it was worth the money and effort.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:05 AM   #26

We are still considering a Class A or Class C purchase and will make a final decision once our condo sells at the end of June. In the meantime, we are still doing our research. The more we research the more hesitant we get. Some of the videos we watch on YouTube really make us question the purchase. Some of these videos are downright depressing.
RAJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #27

Quote:
We are still considering a Class A or Class C purchase and will make a final decision once our condo sells at the end of June. In the meantime, we are still doing our research. The more we research the more hesitant we get. Some of the videos we watch on YouTube really make us question the purchase. Some of these videos are downright depressing.
Watch the positive videos where the folks are enjoying the lifestyle. "Our journey in Myles" series is very good.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #28

Wish Newmar would have check my unit over after they built it. Then maybe I wouldn't be still waiting to enjoy it. And this doesn't include the Removal of all the sloppily installed front Diamond Shield to repaint the sloppy front paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210508_135334.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	332528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_150846.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	332529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_092017.jpg