Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #15

Since you have a Jeep why not try a Jeep rally? They are typically a smaller group of like-minded people. You'll have a lot of laughs along the trail with plenty of help, if needed. They are geared for every ability from beginners to experts. It's a chance to see the backcountry and beautiful areas that few see. There is probably a group near you or pick a state you want to take your motorhome and sign up for a rally in that state or area. Moab, Utah would be a good one to see some awesome country!!

You have a Newmar and there's a Newmar owner's site on this forum. Inquire about one of their rallies. There's one usually at Quartzsite in January but are more in different areas of the country. You'd begin with having something in common - a Newmar. The Quartzsite rally usually has personnel coming from the Newmar factory and other representatives for talks and maintenance/repair help. They do side trips together. Try one of theirs to see how you like the rally atmosphere.

Any rally will have newcomers attending. They'll make you feel welcome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We belong to 3 RV Clubs/Chapters and attend a lot of Rallies. Ours usually last 4 or 5 days, we do group meals, group tours, play games, etc. Our groups range from 25 to 100 RV's and usually have between 15 and 35 that attend a Rally. We enjoy the fellowship and have made lasting friendships. We also attend the FMCA Rally in Indio, CA every January and then a few of us go to the Blythe Bluegrass festival and then on to Quartzsite. I realize that our form of RV,ing is not for everyone but it suits our needs.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I am another outgoing introvert married to a true introvert. We love going places together, just the two of us. It is awfully nice to just decide in the morning what your plans are for the day without lots of coordination with others. I have friends who can’t imagine going by themselves. They aren’t scared or nervous; they just prefer the socialization aspect of RVing. Another example is RV caravans. I can’t I,aging having to keep a schedule with lots of other people, while other people think they are the best thing on earth. As for rally’s, we are FMCA members, and we really like their big rallies. We seldom spend much time with others, just go to the seminars, see the new goodies, enjoy the entertainment. I actually prefer the small mini-rallies RVForum.net members put on. It is just someone who says “I am going to be here at this time. Want to join me? Here’s what we can do.” There is a long-standing get together at Quartzsite every year with them, and I really do enjoy that. Some people have been for 20 years, others are new that year. Still nice. We actually have met up with a number of people we have met online. Sometimes it is just lunch or dinner some place, other times we camp together for a while. Loose and flexible is my motto.
I was looking at the RV Fourms yesterday there’s nothing on their website 2021 rally. They are a good group of people happy hour every afternoon and a camp barbecue. The group like their morning walks and jeep riding in the Kofa . mountains. It’s going to be a different rally this year but it’s still on my bucket list because the weather is slightly better then my homebase and not so locked down .
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #18
PKI

Five years towing an Airstream. Those rigs have a very extensive club structure. It works for some owners, and is a real miss for others. We were members for those five years and attended several rally events. We enjoyed a pot luck meal and socializing with the group. The group added to our use and it helped us visit some places that we enjoyed. However, we do not feel driven to be with a group to enjoy RVing.

Suggestion - unless there is a group that you really are attracted to join, just go traveling and see those sites on your list. Enjoy this country one site and one night at a time. Soon you will meet folks. Maybe you will share a drink and a campfire with some folks and make some new friends.

Good luck with your rig. Enjoy it.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #19

Bought my Phaeton in July 2020 as Covid was kicking our butts.

Since then we have been to 3 Harvest Hosts, camped at a Friend's and two 1500 mile round trips to visit family. Have not stayed in a campground yet! A few walmarts, 1 church & a few truck stops. Covid has not been a detriment to RV life for us.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #20

I am a few years younger than you are, semi-retired, my wife is younger than I am and works full time as an administrator of a local public agency, one of the benefits of her job is a lot of vacation days per year, one downside is lots of fixed date work obligations that keeps her from being able to be away for more than a week or so at a time.

I have done a couple of FMCA regional rallies (Texarkana 2017, and Shreveport 2019) as solo trips, and kind of get it, but I too am not that socially oriented. The first time involved meeting various new people, the second time was more saying hi to the people I met the first time as well as some more new people. Beyond that I did not get a lot out of it, the seminars were mostly sales marketing by the vendors, though a couple were good, and many of the events, and entertainment were targeted at an older demographic. Perhaps I could do better explaining this, as feature items for the week included such things as the womens quilting competition, and musical entertainment mostly focused on such genres as 1950's rock music, or even swing music. I will say though that at both rallies the evening mostly musical entertainment was surprisingly good, it just seemed to be targeting at people that are now probably in their upper 80's. I volunteered at both FMCA rallies I attended and found it overall a rewarding experience, just not sure if I will do it again.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide54 View Post
I was looking at the RV Fourms yesterday there’s nothing on their website 2021 rally. They are a good group of people happy hour every afternoon and a camp barbecue. The group like their morning walks and jeep riding in the Kofa . mountains. It’s going to be a different rally this year but it’s still on my bucket list because the weather is slightly better then my homebase and not so locked down .
One thread is at 2021 Quartzite and KOFA Rallies?
The guy who “officially” sets this up doesn’t always come, but it is a 20+ year tradition. There will be people there no matter what, though I am assuming no potluck dinner or shared afternoon treats at the daily Happy Hour. The official time is during the RV show, but I know one guy comes in November or December and stays for a few months. We will be there probably 3 weeks, centered around the show. BTW, the best time at Q is the week after the show. The place empties out and the crowds disappear. The week before the show is a big rock and gem show, so it is still pretty crowded. And these rallies don’t have any planned topics or meetings. There is usually one or two 4WD trips, a daily walk/hike, etc.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #22

I/we are not overly social people but we are friendly. We generally like traveling alone and not with big groups. The only real exception was a Fantasy RV tour to AK but it was a "your way" with a little group activities. On the motorcycle I have been to a few rallies locally but just for specific vendors, not the big social thing. When I ride it's 1 motorcycle, just me. When I come to a turn, I take it and not dependent on a group decision. I just don't like big groups so my travels avoid them. Friends call me a loner which is fine but I'm not a reclusive antisocial type. Travel how you are comfortable and don't get sucked into someone else's version of fun. Some people can't think for themselves and require a group to get them through the day. Some people like a "big party". No travel decisions you make now lock you into any future plans.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #23
PKI

Big events of interest - maybe?

Consider -

The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta - when this event returns, check it out. Easy, but expensive ($100 a day - parking/no services) to attend with on site camping, but does have an early reservation requirement. If you wait until late in the game, there are tricks, like an off-site park, going very early to the site with your toad (2-3am), watching from off-site, taking a shuttle to the event, and trying the following year with more planning.

The Habitat For Humanity Volunteer group has a lot of projects that need folks to help build homes. Not a bad way to contribute and meet new friends. Other groups do similar types of volunteer rehab (campgrounds impacted by storm damage).

The commercial caravan organizations can be an opportunity to see difficult places if the cost is within your reach. These events are somewhat shorter than they might have been in prior years and fit the budgets of more people. Maybe an option.

The FMCA Ralley format provides access to vendors and their lectures. Not a good idea now, but later might be worth a try. Cost is not prohibitive and a real learning opportunity. The same can be said for the mega RV shows. Just wait a while to participate.

The Harvest Host program offers the opportunity to meet smaller groups and the wonderful folks who run these establishments. Not expensive, but be ready to boondocks and try a few places to find what you like.

Then - there is the Quartzite world - if you are near the area on a trip East/West, stop in and give the place a look see. Not much going on when the big tent is gone, but lots of reasonably priced sites to use the rest of the year. It's not too hot, actually quite pleasant in the shade of your awning, if you choose the right time of year. Fall makes for much nicer weather.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent