Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

RV Security

Guys,
My DW and I are planning to retire in two years and purchase a 5th wheel toy hauler.
For over five years I have been studying the 5th wheel RV market, dealers, web sites, magazines and whatever source of information and knowledge available that I could get my hands on so as to make sure that the investment we make is the best one.
I have had IRV2 for a while now. I would say at least a year. And it is just recently that I realize how powerful it is in its enormous content of knowledge, experience, wisdom and gracious rapport between your unique demographic of RV dwellers and many who aspire to join, whether fulltime or vacationers.
So, my hat’s off to you guys and kudo’s!
May I call you a band of Gypsies?
IRV2 seems like an endless source of reading and so after I finish reading the morning, afternoon or evening news, I will go back to IRV2 and continue to read there.
This morning I touched upon a post regarding security which is a subject dear to my heart because one, I am a dog lover and second, I am well tuned in to the realities of this world and security is a primal self preservation mode that is in our DNA.
Regardless of whether or not I was a city dweller living in a high rise building, a suburban development dweller or a country bumpkin, I would want to know who or what was lurking about, day or night.
In my case, I live in a suburban residential area in a quaint community.
However, over a year ago I ran into a wireless video four camera system which has a stand alone monitor. These four cameras have two way audio capability.
Meaning that with the camera that I have right outside of my front door, I can speak and listen to the visitor at the door.
With the other three camera’s located around my property, I can hear noise and conversation. Or I can warn trespassers that they are violating property rights and that the authorities have been notified. That being the authorities or CP management.
In the event that we are not home this system has a memory card to video tape any activity that has transpired during our absence.
This system can be connected to the internet so that you can monitor your property while you are away.
What’s cool about the system to me is that: one, the camera’s are wireless, requiring 120v AC only. And the monitor is 120V AC. Second, we can put the monitor in any room we wish to keep the monitor displayed or hidden.
I apologize for this lengthy letter, but here’s where the RV angle comes in.
The cameras are the size of a small shoe.
The monitor is smaller than my 17” laptop.
I have thought to myself that when I have my RV, that I could make a four legged electrical extension drop so as to allow me to position four cameras on the exterior of my RV. I would do this in a most discrete manner so as to not be obvious or impersonal.
One seemingly obvious position would be the RV ladder to capture one area. There being only four cameras I would sweep three other areas.
I would use birdhouses and mailboxes as camouflage and décor.
When my wife and I leave the premises, we could place a camera inside. Simply unplug the electrical cord of one of the cameras and place it anywhere inside we choose.
If you have pets or adolescents at home, you could check up on them.
Your cameras would inadvertently be watching over your neighbors also, somewhat, as the cameras would capture foot and vehicular traffic as well as wild life.
So, that hoot at night, or stumbling in the dark may be a deer, a bear, a bob cat or a two legged hiker.
There are more sophisticated systems out there, I am sure.
What makes this system unique is its size, portability and two way audio with video replay and remote internet access. The video is color with very good resolution and night time viewing is pretty good. The more light available at night the better.
What’s next?
Video drones to give you a bird’s eye view of your immediate surroundings and beyond?
The system I have is the LOREX LW2731AC1
I was fortunate to get it during the 2014 Christmas Holiday special for around $300.

RafenJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sounds like you've got it figures out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us.

Happy Trails!!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would not worry about hiding the cameras too much. Having been an installer of security systems I can tell you that the window stickers and yard signs are all I have on my home. The bad guys would rather find an easier target.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #5

Yeah when I had ADT installed in my home they gave me a bunch of signs that stick in the ground, and stickers for the windows. I used some and gave all my neighbors some. It looked like the entire neighborhood was wired.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote