Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Out of curiousity have any of you been in a situation where you have had to use your firearm and if so was it while Rving?
Not personally but I believe that the deteriorating situation here in Texas and in other places is a reason to have a personal protection option. Many of the places we have camped have spotty or no cell phone coverage and would not be easily accessible for help if a problem developed.

Because of the proximity of others in CG situations, I believe that a 12 gauge is the best answer and we've carried one for years. More recently, I've concluded that other options were needed and we've added a 9mm one.

For those who have or are considering firearms with RVs, I recommend reading the patchwork of State laws about them and their use. It is complex to say the least. There are a number of States (IL, NY, NJ) who are so anti-2nd amendment that even following the Federal firearms transport rules (which are supposed to trump State restrictions) isn't always sufficient.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
We travel with Glock 19 and a 380 Tarus. We have never had to use it while camping. I just feel safe having it around just in case.
corpus aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
With the fact that I dont own a gun I will have to camp next to one of you and hope that you will protect me
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #18

Judge

I am not a gun fan, but I do have a 2.5" JUDGE. I look at it like an insurance policy. I shot about 50 shots at a firing range. Is definately a two hand grip and so loud you need ear muffs. If I fired this thing in my motorhome it would scare the cheeze out me and probably give my dog a heart attack.
I added a Laser to the Judge, sighted for about 30 feet. I can put the red dot on the target without using the exposure to use typical sights.
Most RV parks are very safe, half the time I don't even lock all the doors. BUT...some areas along the remote desert roads if I broke down or got stuck overnight along a desert road next to a prison..I woud have the ol judge in bed with us.
Larry
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nver leave home without your 1911 and 100 rounds of ammo. Better safe than sorry. For me there is no better protection than the 1911, it went through three wars and has proven it's effectiveness.
paulrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Always be prepared if you can, To protect you and your loved ones is no joke.

I have had a CCW for 35 years. I your not cumfortable with a handgun... a shotgun will do very nicely.

Just learn how to use your weapon of choice safely. Pratice with it so you know how it operates. A handgun takes training and pratice, see a safety instructor if need be.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #21

We've never had any situation that would require a firearm of any kind. Never know of anyone who has. I'm not against your having one so don't go crazy on me.

As for the drug war problems, that is a battle between the cartels so it's very unlikely you'd ever be involved. If you were it won't make any difference what you carry. It won't be enough for a dozen guys with assault weapons the purchased in Phoenix. Chances are you won't have your weapon in a convenient place if you ever needed one.

For me personally I can't imagine every buying a weapon just for RV travel.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slides
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #22

Do people really think drug cartels buy semi auto assault rifles in Phoenix, or anywhere in the states? Why, when they have the money to purchase fully automatic rifles from gun dealers around the world at better than retail prices. This is misinformation given to the public to sway the people to place a ban on assault rifles.

I would rather have a gun next to me in the night and not need it than not to have one and need it, just my preference in the forest boondocking. Always have for the past 25 years of tenting and now in our motorhome.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
We've never had any situation that would require a firearm of any kind. Never know of anyone who has. I'm not against your having one so don't go crazy on me.

As for the drug war problems, that is a battle between the cartels so it's very unlikely you'd ever be involved. If you were it won't make any difference what you carry. It won't be enough for a dozen guys with assault weapons the purchased in Phoenix. Chances are you won't have your weapon in a convenient place if you ever needed one.

For me personally I can't imagine every buying a weapon just for RV travel.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slides
The drug gangs are the least of our worries.

Illegal immigrant deported twice confessed to killing 14-year-old girl in Texas | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona Immigration News How much could a 14 year old girl have had that was valuable enough to kill her?

Our daughter's car was burglarized 50 feet from the window of her Bedford, TX apartment. It was one of 12 cars done that night and 76 cars done in a three week period. The police found and charged the guy who pawned all of the dash stereos (she got hers back, it is here at my house) in Irving. He was also an illegal with a long rap sheet here in the US. He was neither charged nor deported because of these crimes. Our daughter works for a police department.

Many of the RV places that we stay are near major highways (Cedar Hill State Park, for example). Those looking for things to pawn have discovered that police cannot easily get to the RV parks and that many RVers are older and easier to deal with.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
doc

Appalachian Campers
Lord I love to read the high testosterone threads!! Wondering how many have actually heard a shot fired in anger
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #25

Nine and one-half inches long is not very conceal-able. The weight-36.8 oz, is light enough to carry around, where to carry it is limited I prefer the Bond Arms Derringers
SnakeSlayer derringer. It is a little lighter, and a lot shorter at 6.25". Over $200 cheaper too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I shoot a glock 26 sub compact 9mm, and the DW shoots a ruger LCR 38 +P. It works for us as a easy carry.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a Judge Public Defender model. 21/2 inch 410 and regular 45 Colts. I have a CCP and it fits nicely in a jeans pocket. Several friends are retired judges and prosecutors and they have switched to this one also. It does not kick much in 410 mode. haven't tried 45 Colt yet but suspect significant kick. My wife can handle it in 410 load. She's 5'2" and petite so I expect most spouses could use it effectively if needed.

Oh and for Doc, I did 2 tours in Vietnam, Navy, but spent time in DaNang on the perimeter wire at night for a short while. They make a really cool buzzing sound sometimes if the AK's barrels are worn enough to make them tumble. Don't know if he was angry or just having a bad day back there.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #28

Judge kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
I have a Judge Public Defender model. 21/2 inch 410 and regular 45 Colts. I have a CCP and it fits nicely in a jeans pocket. Several friends are retired judges and prosecutors and they have switched to this one also. It does not kick much in 410 mode. haven't tried 45 Colt yet but suspect significant kick. My wife can handle it in 410 load. She's 5'2" and petite so I expect most spouses could use it effectively if needed.
The 45 colt "jolt" really isn't that bad. Besides, you'll only need one round to finish off the "perps" after a couple of 410 rounds.