Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

RV service wait time

I took my new motorhome in for warranty work two weeks ago. The dealer still has not even looked at the problems. Then they said it’s probably 4 to 6 weeks to do repairs after they finally look at it and get authorization from manufacture. I bought a new Jayco motorhome from Richardson’s RV. They are a certified dealer for Jayco.
Is anybody else having this kind of problem?
m16303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is not uncommon for RVs in general, and motorhomes in particular. The actual troubleshooting and part replacement usually only takes a couple of days, and Entegra (same company) usually approves warranty work in just a couple of days too. But it can take weeks or months to get parts. Covid has made this even worse.

If you need (or just want) your RV back, ask the dealer to put everything back together and take it home while you wait for parts. Have them call you once the parts arrive. I suggest calling them every now and then, since they may not remember to call you.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m16303 View Post
I took my new motorhome in for warranty work two weeks ago. The dealer still has not even looked at the problems. Then they said it’s probably 4 to 6 weeks to do repairs after they finally look at it and get authorization from manufacture. I bought a new Jayco motorhome from Richardson’s RV. They are a certified dealer for Jayco.

It is industry wide problem. Was before Covid, now is exaggerated because of parts unavailability.

As far as dealer not getting to it yet, your "priority" customer rating disappeared once you signed paperwork and the "We Owe" punch list was completed.

Sometimes, just sometimes, Jayco will allow owner or designated company to perform repairs themselves if not in critical area and they can ship parts to you. I have even gotten them to pay for partial labor, but is not the norm.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, that is very much the norm.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have found it's quicker and cheaper to go to google and YouTube and attempt the repairs myself. Every time I call the dealer, it is at least a 3 month wait! Every time the salesperson checks in to see how I'm doing my #1 complaint is no appointments are reserved for customers who bought the RV from the dealership.

In the last year, I've figured out how to:
- diagnose and repair an air solenoid on my air suspension system
- diagnose and repair a generator that wouldn't shut off (fuel solenoid)
- replace a bellows exhaust pipe on the same generator
- replace a ceiling AC unit
- diagnose and repair a stuck OPD valve on my propane tank
- and I'm in the process of rebuilding my 13 year old Coleman basement AC unit

I know you pay for the warranty but sometimes the wait, loss of use of your RV, and aggravation are not worth it!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by m16303 View Post
My son has a Thor product and, like any RV, there were issues after he took it home new, but still under warranty.

Thor was incredibly good about shipping him the parts needed directly to his home. No issues, no questions, no hassle. Actually I was pretty impressed. The good thing was no down time and they could use it.

He had to do the labor himself, which he was happy to do. A good learning curve for him as well to see how these things are put together.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sadly, that's the way things are these days!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #8

In 2013 a service writer for Camping World explained to DW and I how they operate.
You make an appt. for repairs; NOPE,you actually made an appt. to drop-off your RV.

It is then placed in rotation for inspection/diagnostics. When that step is completed your RV is returned to their storage lot, parts are then ordered.
This is where you request to take your RV home for storage or use. Ours was there for over 2 months at this stage. House battery bank ruined, but they did replace them.

When parts arrive your RV is again placed in rotation, when your RV reaches the top of the rotation list it is moved into a service bay and repair work begins.

During all this, when emergency or traveling RVers require repairs, scheduled work is interrupted.
I assume this is the business model for most RV repair shops.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I do all my own repair work on my Class A. Then I can be sure it’s either done right, or I know who to blame.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are good dealers out there who do what they say they are gonna do and stick with their schedules...

We bought our new MH in June of this year from Golden Gait Trailers & RV's in Concord, NC. We found a couple of items during our PDI that needed to be addressed and a couple more that occurred after we left the lot. Certainly no show stoppers... Scratch in fridge door, jerking Girard awning, burned out LED headlight assembly, pinhole in MCD shade, washing machine issue, and a few missing items like spare floor tiles, etc...

Made an appointment to bring it in to be looked at and have repairs authorized. They asked me when I needed to have it back. I dropped it off for a couple days, they looked things over, made their phone calls, got repairs authorized and called me to come pick it up. I told them to get everything ordered and on-hand before calling me to bring it back.

They were true to their word, called me a couple weeks ago, where we set up an appointment for me to bring it back in. Everything was in except the fridge door. I brought it in last Monday, where again, they asked when I needed it back. On Tuesday, they already were calling me giving me a play by play of what they had accomplished and what was left to do. I spoke to them yesterday, and they were expecting the Whirlpool guy to come in and repair the washer.

So far, these guys have been top notch. We are working together to get things taken care of, and they have been true to their word. I feel fortunate to experience what I have so far...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
In 2013 a service writer for Camping World explained to DW and I how they operate.
You make an appt. for repairs; NOPE,you actually made an appt. to drop-off your RV.

It is then placed in rotation for inspection/diagnostics. When that step is completed your RV is returned to their storage lot, parts are then ordered.
This is where you request to take your RV home for storage or use. Ours was there for over 2 months at this stage. House battery bank ruined, but they did replace them.

When parts arrive your RV is again placed in rotation, when your RV reaches the top of the rotation list it is moved into a service bay and repair work begins.

During all this, when emergency or traveling RVers require repairs, scheduled work is interrupted.
I assume this is the business model for most RV repair shops.
The local Camping World stated the same thing appointment was for drop off. I explained that when I make an appointment it is for repairs at the meeting I scheduled from a call to HQ "If your not happy I'm not Happy" with the service manager and General manager. I never leave CW until the troubleshoot is done and if parts are needed I don't leave it. It is the normal because we allow it to be normal.
Emergency repairs. While on a trip to Colorado my nevercold fridge quit working on electricity. Camping World Denver could care less. Stated it would be 2 months before the could look at it. "If your not happy I'm not happy" said someone would respond to the complaint within 48 hours, they are mostly useless. The response was to call the Denver Service Manager. Been there done that!
If everyone called that line every time, just maybe it would help. Probably not.
Must be the most unhappy CEO in the world.
jfessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #12

For our Newmar we made an appointment at a dealer we were driving in that direction (not the selling dealer). Got there and warranty issues were done in a day. Allowed to spend the night with electric on their lot. Freedom RV, Tucson. Maybe the manufacturer makes a difference.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Community Moderator

We had a couple of items under warranty that needed repaired. I called the manufacturer, Heartland, and had a mobile tech pre-approved by Heartland before he came out. Heartland paid for the labor/parts, but we had to pay the service call. But the job was done in 3 hours, verses several weeks waiting.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are good dealers out there who do what they say they are gonna do and stick with their schedules...
Yes there are, but nowhere near a majority of them. All of us here should do more to identify those dealers and reward them with public praise.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service