Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 05:30 PM   #29

They do that to reduce dead time. A tech can have several units at a time he is repairing. If he runs into a problem that requires something he can't repair immediately he can more on until the parts arrive. Also, customers cancel or don't show up and the tech can move on to the next one. It benefits both the shop and customer. However most of the time the customer just sees they are there and ready.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 05:31 PM   #30

I made an appointment for my Canyon Star right before Christmas to have my water heater and jacks looked at. I brought it in the next week, 2 days later I picked it up and the ordered the parts. Last week I brought it back and my RV was repaired that same day. This was at Colorado’s Premier RV Services in Berthod CO. I’ve used them a couple of times and they are very efficient and very friendly.

Marc
Old 01-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiebe View Post
Can anyone explain the apparent typical RV service scenario which requires you to make an appointment 2-4 weeks in advance, then take the RV in, then wait another 2-3 weeks for it to be looked at? It's not waiting for something else to happen (like parts) - the RV just switches from waiting at my house to waiting at the dealer.

It seems illogical. An appointment to wait?

Even more silliness is that they actually give you a time of day for the appointment.

I can see the reason for the first wait, but not the second. This seems akin to the Seinfeld episode about the rental car place not actually reserving a car when you make a reservation.
I took mine in to replace a slide out seal. The appointment was made for the following week. When I arrived they asked me when I wanted to pick it up. I said “how about 1:30”. After they laughed they said “ when do you need it back? I said if not by 1:30 how about end of the day. They had it ready at 1:30.
B2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #32
Community Moderator

RV serice centers are busy same as boat contractors...........suggest developing a list, which I do do for both, and call around for best the schedule. Then schedule multiple appointments, if necessary.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #33

Yes, this is probably warranty work?
If so, the dealer has have you bring in the RV, then get permission from the mfr to bill for a diagnostic, then do the specific diagnostics the mfr wants (not you, mind). After that, the mfr will usually authorize specific work to be done.
The mfr is able to call the shots because they are paying for the work to be done, and some repair shops have ... abused the process a bit.
In my experience, two weeks for that turnaround is exemplary. Mine took six weeks - twice!
If this is not warranty work, please keep in mind that nearly every business is in extreme distress right now because a substantial part of their workforce is out sick.
MBrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I can see the reason for the first wait, but not the second. This seems akin to the Seinfeld episode about the rental car place not actually reserving a car when you make a reservation.[/QUOTE]

I experienced this problem trying to get engine and transmission service at an Approved Freightliner service center is San Diego. I went to them after getting a brochure from FMCA showing service discounts for select Diesel Engines. The center originally told me they were not aware of the specials, then my engine was not included took a week to get them to agree to service my rig after supplying serial numbers and then the 2 week appointment and being told they would keep the rig for 7-10 days.

It takes about 3 hours to do the work I requested.

I changed the oil myself and upon reading the transmission many on service saw I still have 7000 more miles until needed.
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have a mobile diesel mechanic service mine and I always pay with Cash. I do get and keep receipts.
Sent you a PM.I live in Prescott
jetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #36

Besides the need to schedule so you can then wait for a fix is the problem that way too often the first fix isn't, and you have to do the dance all over again. This is why I always tell people cosidering an RV to NOT buy one unless they are very handy, knows some one that is and willing to help, or have remarkable patiance.

I quit going to a RV repair shop, after trying all in the area, when the "tech" did not know the difference between an amp and a volt.

From talking to other sit does seem like you are more likley to be satisfied by using a mobile repairman than by taking it to a shop.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
My motor home sat at CAMPING WORLD May 26 to Sept 9 to replace a slide motor I could buy off Amazon. That was After waiting 4 weeks to get in. Blamed it on ordering parts, but they waited 3-4 weeks after diagnosis to place the order. HORRIBLE . . ., but they have us by the short hairs. ( my Dad would grab the 'short hairs' on my neck . ouch . and I couldn't get away)
Had a Camping World NJ (Exit 10, I-295) experience like that with my previous motorhome years ago. The mechanic assigned was 18 years old, a new hire, and knew nothing about RV type refrigerators. After I gave him a short course, they chewed up a lot of time with the fridge mfg customer service, and finally declared they were unable to repair it. I had signed an agreement that I was responsible for any hours over the alloted warranty time, and had to pay $1,800 to reclaim my vehicle (with no repair). I took it to a reputable RV repair center in Farmingdale, NJ (Risco, Inc.) at Exit 29 on I-195. I stayed on top of it, the motorhome only sat outside 2 weeks, but they made a reasonable attempt to dovetail initial diagnosis, parts ordering, and repair, meaning I got the RV back in "only" six weeks, with the bad parts competently replaced.

The absolute champion for repair knowhow and management (chassis work only) is Johnson & Towers of Mt. Laurel, NJ. They are a worldwide marine maintenance company (think large ocean-going vessel diesel engine cylinders you can crawl or walk into) who is an authorized Allison Transmission repair center, work on large fire trucks, tractors, buses, and motorhomes (again - chassis only). The maintenance manager was a motorhome owner, and they had a couple on the lot (in addition to commercial buses). A sign over the check in window said "We will call you with the diagnosis within two hours after check in", and they did!!! They provided expert motorhome towing up front, 3-way conferenced with Spartan and Entegra, and after the dust settled they had me back on the road in 5 days, including parts ordering and delivery, including an add-on task of removing some error codes and successful warranty coordination. I would drive across the country to get that kind of service.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re:<< AND I spent three days trying to find a mobile mechanic to get my extended slide back in . . .there are none.>>
TERMINOLOGY: "MOBILE RV TECH" vs "MOBILE MECHANIC"= totally different professions, and from MY phone conversations with both, (adding ## to my phone), neither treads on the others turf, nor works on the others systems.. but I do guess RV tech (might) work on an Onboard GEN? Need your diesel or gas engine repaired, call a Mobile Mechanic; need your RV water systems or power systems repaired, call a RV Mobile Tech/ Mobile RV Tech

NEVERGROWUP: ADDITIONAL THOUGHT: If you give us your city/state, you MIGHT find a referral for tech from another Rv Owner?
Old 01-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M View Post
Gary, I'm a new owner of a 19 Newmar DutchStar and live in Ocala. Was wondering who you use for local maintenance? I've used Independence RV but I'm interested in a local company or better yet a good Mobile Mechanic. Went to the Cummins dealer on Hwy 40 and they quoted 3 months to get in for an oil change. Thanks. Vince.
Re my post about an hour later than yours, I found out recently that Lazydays Ocala (which is really off of Rte 44 east of SR 301 in the Villages) has not (yet) gone to the drop-and-leave system (which for full-timers involves an open-ended hotel stay), but for the most part can still do a same or next day repair start. You schedule through the main number in Tampa (for any Lazydays location in the nation, I believe). My earlier review may have been a bit harsh, and I probably don't fully understand their maintenance management problems, but I have had many repairs and routine services at Lazydays Tampa, they are as quick as they can be, have highly competent and experienced techs, never gave me any heartburn, and their manager, Precious, is as good as if not better than, any I have encountered in my 48 year engineering career.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #40

Most RVs, especially the towables, are simple beasts. Maintenance is easy & there are no shortages of 'how to' videos on YouTube when something goes wrong. Most of the time the fix is very easy.

A class A has the same systems with a propulsion engine in it. You don't need a RV dealership if it is engine or road gear related.

Seems like the dealerships have a racket going on ensuring that there is always pending work in the yard.

Learn the basics at least. Better to get familiar with it in your own yard than to not have a clue when something goes wrong in the middle of a trip far from home.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Most RVs, especially the towables, are simple beasts. Maintenance is easy & there are no shortages of 'how to' videos on YouTube when something goes wrong. Most of the time the fix is very easy.

A class A has the same systems with a propulsion engine in it. You don't need a RV dealership if it is engine or road gear related.

Seems like the dealerships have a racket going on ensuring that there is always pending work in the yard.

Learn the basics at least. Better to get familiar with it in your own yard than to not have a clue when something goes wrong in the middle of a trip far from home.

Agree. Learn how to do basic repairs and preventive maintenance, IF your capable. Some people don't know left from right and get themselves in trouble.

Disagree. Not all dealerships purposely back up repairs. It's not the same as an auto dealership where they have 15 to 20 techs on staff. Plus they do not have the space in a building to do repairs to one or two at a time.

Then there is the problem getting parts.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M View Post
Gary, I'm a new owner of a 19 Newmar DutchStar and live in Ocala. Was wondering who you use for local maintenance? I've used Independence RV but I'm interested in a local company or better yet a good Mobile Mechanic. Went to the Cummins dealer on Hwy 40 and they quoted 3 months to get in for an oil change. Thanks. Vince.
Tom Nehl Freightliner in Lake City has done my annual maintenance when I can't get into Gaffney. Good service and low cost. This was before the pandemic though so call ahead.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote