Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

RV sheets

During the long wait for our LTV UnityTB, I have been researching the best option for sheets. I found the Aurora site for custom sheets made specifically for the Unity, but looking for alternatives as it would be $145 ($240 if we also get the king flat sheet) for 1 set; would like to have a couple for longer trips.

Also found this site Rv & Camper Bedding & Sheets but at $25 per set, I wonder about the quality. Also, prefer 100% cotton and these are polyester microfiber.

Would appreciate hearing about solutions others have found, especially for the Unity twin bed configuration. We like to sleep with sheets and a down comforter. We plan to use the bedroom area as a lounge during the day so will most likely make the beds and put the covers on. Not sure if we will use the king bed. If we do, Aurora seems to be the only way to get filler mattress sheets.

Do standard bunk size sheets fit the LTV twin mattress?

How about the sheet suspenders - do they solve the rounded corner problem? Pros/cons.

Is attaching the top sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet recommended?

Modifications using standard sheets would be an option, as I have decent sewing talents.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Edit: Found this: http://www.blanketwarehouse.com/prin...sheet-set.html
Don't care for the prints and the fabric is questionable. Thinking I could DIY something like this using bunk size fitted and top sheets.
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

We've always used standard sheets but don't get the ones for deep mattresses. Cheapest is best. Think WalMart. $145/$240 is outrageous for RV sheets.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We buy decent sheets, I prefer to sleep on higher thread count sheets, usually 700-800. We use flat sheets, they seem to stay tucked better for us.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've always used standard sheets but don't get the ones for deep mattresses. Cheapest is best. Think WalMart. $145/$240 is outrageous for RV sheets.

X 2!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
suza,

I bought sheets from Walmart and Penney's. I put them wrong side up on the mattress, pinned the sheet to fit the way I wanted and then sewed the sheet to fit the mattress. I like the way it no longer slides around or bunches up.

It fixed the problem and I was unwilling to pay the ridiculous prices to find something that was specifically designed to fit the MH mattress. This way I have 2 sets and no sticker shock.

Hope you know how to sew. This is a good fix.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Our queen is a standard queen. We use standard sheets with very high thread counts
Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
suza,

I bought sheets from Walmart and Penney's. I put them wrong side up on the mattress, pinned the sheet to fit the way I wanted and then sewed the sheet to fit the mattress. I like the way it no longer slides around or bunches up.

It fixed the problem and I was unwilling to pay the ridiculous prices to find something that was specifically designed to fit the MH mattress. This way I have 2 sets and no sticker shock.

Hope you know how to sew. This is a good fix.
Thanks for the advice . . . and, yes, I do sew.

Did you use any elastic?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
During the long wait for our LTV UnityTB, I have been researching the best option for sheets. I found the Aurora site for custom sheets made specifically for the Unity, but looking for alternatives as it would be $145 ($240 if we also get the king flat sheet) for 1 set; would like to have a couple for longer trips.

Also found this site Rv & Camper Bedding & Sheets but at $25 per set, I wonder about the quality. Also, prefer 100% cotton and these are polyester microfiber.

Would appreciate hearing about solutions others have found, especially for the Unity twin bed configuration. We like to sleep with sheets and a down comforter. We plan to use the bedroom area as a lounge during the day so will most likely make the beds and put the covers on. Not sure if we will use the king bed. If we do, Aurora seems to be the only way to get filler mattress sheets.

Do standard bunk size sheets fit the LTV twin mattress?

How about the sheet suspenders - do they solve the rounded corner problem? Pros/cons.

Is attaching the top sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet recommended?

Modifications using standard sheets would be an option, as I have decent sewing talents.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Edit: Found this: http://www.blanketwarehouse.com/prin...sheet-set.html
Don't care for the prints and the fabric is questionable. Thinking I could DIY something like this using bunk size fitted and top sheets.
As many have said before, if you add "RV" to any product the price goes way higher! But $250 for sheets?!? That's pretty crazy...

Fortunately our mattress is a standard size so we just buy high thread count queen size sheets from Costco. To hold them in place we use the elastic tie downs that you can find at Bed Bath and Beyound that attach like garter snaps to the fitted sheet at all four corners. But even if some sewing were required, it sure beats paying for those high priced "RV" sheets!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

I've done some research on DIY RV sheet solutions as well as sources for ready-made RV sheets (high priced). One ready made (Advanced Bedding) makes it's top sheets with a fitted bottom Looks like a great idea.

We don't have our Unity yet, so can't verify dimensions of the twin mattress. Will probably be adding a memory foam topper, which will deepen the mattress. So . . . .

Have decided to purchase flat sheets and make my own sheet sets after we have the RV and I can custom fit them. Here's what I found:

Target has nice, 300TC 100% cotton flat sheets. As a bonus, I scored! 48 hr 30% off bedding! They had many nice colors. Originally thought I would only do white, but quantity was limited, so ordered some fun colors to coordinate with other bedding we already have.

For $100 I purchased enough sheets/pillowcases to make 3 sets plus one flat sheet to make sheets for the king filler cushions, if we should want to make a king bed. I feel good about that!

Thanks for all the advice. Please continue to add your comments as I won't be proceeding with making the custom sheets until sometime this fall.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #10

I think you'll find out you won't need 3 sets of sheets. Take them off, wash them and put them back on. You'll appreciate extra storage space. Some folks pack way too many towels, also.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #11

Our king size mattress is a standard sized king. We're using standard sheets purchased from Sportsman's Guide online.

600 Thread Count Woven Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set - 152298, Sheets at Sportsman's Guide

We've had our sets for a couple years and use same sets at home. They've held up very well for us, and catching them "on sale" made them a great value imho. Not much selection in colors however. (looks like just one color at the moment).
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think you'll find out you won't need 3 sets of sheets. Take them off, wash them and put them back on. You'll appreciate extra storage space. Some folks pack way too many towels, also.
I planned on two sets of sheets for each bed as we usually take two sets of sheets on longer than 1 week trips so we don't have to do laundry on the road.

The third set (actually just an extra top sheet) is just because I wanted another color (in case one of my choices just isn't right for the RV); I can always use the extra top sheet for one of 4 twin guest beds at home.

Thanks for the advice on storage. I know that downsizing is going to require taking less. I'm definitely going to have to pull in the reins in respect what goes and what stays.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
Our king size mattress is a standard sized king. We're using standard sheets purchased from Sportsman's Guide online.

600 Thread Count Woven Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set - 152298, Sheets at Sportsman's Guide

We've had our sets for a couple years and use same sets at home. They've held up very well for us, and catching them "on sale" made them a great value imho. Not much selection in colors however. (looks like just one color at the moment).
But not available in twin :(

We were fortunate, with our 5th-wheel, that our home queen sheets also fit. Although the mattress was the usual short queen, with the added 3" memory foam topper, the standard queen sheets fit perfectly.

I thought about getting bunk size twin sheets for the MH, since they are close in size to the mattresses, however are said to fit mattresses up to 6" deep. The Unity has residential style mattresses - not the usual bunk mattresses - that are 7-8" deep. I was afraid the bund sheets would not have deep enough pockets, especially if I decide to add memory foam toppers (the mattresses have memory foam pillow tops already, so might not be necessary).

I also considered just using flat sheets and not making them fitted, but was afraid, since the mattresses are much lighter than a queen mattress, the sheets might not stay tucked in. I plan to try just the flat sheets tucked in and see how they work. By then, we will know if we are going to add foam toppers and can custom fit the flat sheets. I also like the idea of the top sheets having a fitted bottom edge.

This whole RV bedding thing is pretty complicated, but once resolved, it will be perfect.