Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #1

RV shortage?

I just came back from Glacier, 5000 miles round trip.
Going out and coming back I saw the RV manufacturer's lots full of RVs in Indiana.
All the RV dealers on I80 and I 90 had full lots too.
What I see doesn’t fit the news I read and see.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Going out and coming back I saw the RV manufacturer's lots full of RVs in Indiana.
agree, RV dealership that just moved in down the road, has a full lot for the most part. If they were sold, I don't think they would have put the resources into moving them to their new location?
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same here. There's one local dealer (part of a chain) who has almost nothing on their lot. Others seem to be full. The local CW is packed with both new and used units, spilling out into the parking lot. We noticed a lot of full lots coming up from Florida to Virginia along the I95 about a month ago and made the same observation.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

I think by spring of 2022 their will be a glut of inventory...... new and used.

I think we are past the peak of everyone jumping on the bandwagon now. A lot of people are jumping on planes again and the airlines can't add flights fast enough so people who were on the fence about moving to an RV versus traveling by plane and staying in hotels are probably leaning towards their old way of vacationing.

RV manufactureres that we're behind on delivering units are getting caught up as they get the components they need so inventory will be filling up dealer lots.

Couple that with some people finding out RV'ing is not for them and frustrated by quality problems and higher gas prices, there will be some lightly used stuff hitting the market as well.

I still think campgrounds will be tougher to get in places and will require making plans months in advance.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
We have a very large RV dealer here and they have a very small inventory. They can’t get them or can’t keep them in stock. A large boat dealer and Chevy dealer along the highway has very few boats or cars on the lot. Maybe it’s regional, but it’s slim picking and high prices in MN.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
Community Moderator

We came back to Ohio from Goodyear, Az.. We went to Las Vegas then back across northern Az. to New Mexico and up to Rapid City, SD.. We then came east on I-90 thru Minn., Wisc., across Illinois and into Michigan. After Michigan we dropped down and came across from Terre Haute to Cincinnati.
The amount of inventory we saw depended on the dealership. If they were a chain they had a larger amount of inventory, such as Camping World. But they had more of units that are specifically made for CW than units made for multiply distributions to dealers.
We saw some smaller dealers who were well stock had a large variety of different makes/models. But a dealer who only carried 1 or 2 makes were hurting for stock.

Also in Elkhart/Goshen area some of the holding pens were near empty or empty. We went pass a couple pens that in October 2020 had numerous units that this trip they were low or empty. Also the Grand Design plant in Northern Indiana had less units sitting around but they were building a new plant in the back of the compound.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:

I've read that the manufacturers are having issues with individual items/appliances, as a result they have a back log of "built" RVs/Trailers in storage waiting for things like AC, refrigerator, or a furnace, etc.

Kind of like the huge backlog of stored, brand new F150s waiting for electronics components due to the "chip shortage".
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

Empty showroom

https://www.brambillasinc.com/new-rv...-xNewInventory

We stopped by our local RV dealer last week (just to browse) inside their beautiful indoor showroom which usually has 20+ new units on display.
There were 2 units for sale.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think the message is that there are spot shortages, i.e. some models, some types and some dealers, but not universal. Dealers who have sold well aren't able to replenish their inventory quickly, so their lots are more empty. Some reports seem to be saying the shortages are mostly small-medium trailers and class C's, i.e. the typical newcomer purchase. And used ones sell quickly too, making shopping around a more chancy thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

Just noticed this past week, two different dealers that looked full. I'm thinking that manufactures may be catching up because sales are plateauing.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #11

After every boom comes a bust.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #12

Locally any TT posted on craigslist is gone pretty quick if it's a nice one. The junk ones sit for about a month maybe?
At least when I was searching several months back.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Out of curiosity I have been checking some dealer websites periodically since last fall. I have noticed that up until recently they basically had no inventory and everything listed had a sold or pending sale tag on it, even though most of the units had not even arrived at the dealership yet. They now have units in stock and available or on order and available. From the tiny sliver of the industry I see, I think the mad sales rush has peaked.

On a side note, I have also been checking the Vroom price on my pickup truck for the past several months. It is still crazy high, but the offer has started to decrease as of a few weeks ago.