Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Rv show financing.

My wife and I are looking for our first camper. We are going to a show at the end of the month to look at some travel trailers and 5th wheels (still debating on which type). We are now trying to figure out if it is better to go there pre approved through our lender or does it pay to wait and use one of the lenders that are on scene since some dealers try to use that to bargain for a lower price. Any advise or experience is greatly appreciated?
whatnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would get preapproved with your lender to see what kind of rates and amount you can get, this will give you an idea of what to look for.

You can use this as leverage when you are at the show.

I would look at the total cost of the loan to include any fees and or early pay off penalty.

I've done it both ways so it depends on what works out better.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

I have done this both ways and I just look for the lowest interest rate and the terms of the loan. Such as can the loan be paid off early and can you make extra payments. Usually a credit union will provide the lowest interest rates. But sometimes the pay off period maybe to short and the payments can be too high for the borrower to handle.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

What I would say is that you should go there prepared and knowledgeable regarding street pricing of the units that you would consider for purchase. Going to a show with the assumption that it will be representative of the best pricing possible is a way to get hosed.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

high pressure SALES,, and they will Say Anything to get a sale.. and remember.. APR and APY are not the same. and can/will flip to confuse you.

they only have a few seconds ( OK a little more ) to convince you to continue to talk to them.

go prepared, bank rates, models of interest. prices of said units.
and NEVER take delivery on a Saturday/Sunday.. and Make Sure everything on the unit is Working/Fixed before taking it off the lot. otherwise you WILL have trouble getting it done.

retired auto mechanic, I have been solving car salesmen promises all my life. and trying to calm New customers with new problems.

my opinion, Never go to a show with a checkbook or a credit card... and a SMALL amount of cash.. and SIGN Nothing.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. Find your best rates from credit union or other. Use this knowledge to see if dealer can do better.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy a used unit, pay cash. New units you lose 38% right off the top, worse than new cars! Go look at the different styles but don't buy new.

Keep the used unit a few years, then sell and buy a newer one, it hard to tell what you will like until you try several different styles of RV. Class A, DP, Class B, Class C, trailer, 5th wheel or truck camper. Just hard to guess! You will loose huge amounts of cash when you buy new and you will still want to make changes to fit your selves.

Going to an RV show is like taking my wife to a Macy's womens dept clothing sale that reads 50% off!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Whatever you do, stay away from Good Sam's credit. The people are incompetent, rude, don't care........ Did I mention incompetent?

This has been the worst 7 weeks and we still are not done with the loan process.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I've seen that for the most part RV show prices are marked up about 20% and then a big price tag showing a 20% mark down over what THEY say is the MSRP, but their MSRP is inflated by about 20% to start. IMO buying at an RV show should be a LAST RESORT! Use the RV show to find 3-4 different units that are suitable for your planned usage then wait till the middle of winter and look around on the internet and you'll find $'s way below what the show's marked down prices were.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

The more information you have the better. So yes get pre approved so you have some facts.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote