RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

RV specific hoses?

we just blew a bubble growth in the hose to our 5th wheel, in a reg garden hose.
For full time water pressure, do we need special psi hoses?..or all rubber?....and yes, i have the regulator installed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Assuming the pressure regulator is installed at the hose bib, you shouldn't need a special hose pressure-wise but you should use a hose specified for drinking water, not a generic water hose. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+freshw...nb_sb_ss_c_3_8

Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
don't use any hose NOT designating for drinking water, you are poisoning yourself !
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #4

I guess I'm supposed to be dead, because I drank from a hose as a kid for as long as I remember.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Ditto on drinking from a hose as a kid. I use just a regular garden hose but I will absolutely not drink water from the fresh water tank. We use bottled water or most of the time fill jugs with the RO water from home. Our trips though are usually less than a week. Our motor home has a filtration setup in it but it was never used by PO and I took the faucet off the top as it was just in the way.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, you should have a hose that is certified for potable water.
I've been drinking the water out of TV's tanks since 1957 when my parents rented a TT. I got my first TT in 1968 and always drink water from the fresh water tank with no ill effects.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OP question/answers got off track. A regular hose or one for drinking water will work (like many others, we use a flexible hose and bring our own drinking water - to each his own). The trick is to use a pressure regulator at the post end, not the coach entry point (or use both). The problem is the water pressure at sites can vary by LOTS. One safety measure is to check via a pressure gauge at the post before hooking up. I've had readings above 90psi and others here on the forum have had above 120psi! That will more than just make a bubble in the hose. We all expect it to be about 40-50psi but that just doesn't happen. Set the pressure you want at the post before hooking up your hose.

Steve
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #8

A good quality (NSF approved)drinking water hose should be used with the regulator at the post as said.

I was disappointed with the Camco Premium hose I bought.
The female end hex is too rounded off which makes it difficult to tighten on to the spigot.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #9

That will happen to the hose when its hot and the sun is on it. You either need to run more water or turn it off. We always ran from the tank and just filled the tank when needed. I use the black Goodyear hoses for everything as they are the most durable.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #10

As fulltiner for nearly 10 years, we have never had any issues with waterlines bursting.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Commercial Member

we full timed in our coach for over 8 years. yes, a regular garden hose will work, but if you leave it out in the sun, the heat causes gases, and chemicals in the hose makeup to be released into the water in the hose.
that said, i also have drank out of a garden hose all my life. not dead of covid yet.
there are several hoses available that are ok's for use to fill tanks, and to drink out of.
many years ago, i bought a 50 ft marine hose, certified for use as a fresh water drinking hose, cut it in half, and made two 25 ft hoses.
cheaper that way. anyway, with a pressure regulator on the post end, i can use any length of good hose to fill my water tank, and leave the good hose out in the sun.
we have also used our fresh water tank for drinking water. we do have a good filter in the kitchen sink area for drinking. we even use it sometimes. especially for the cats.
i dont want get to be poisoned by a regular water hose and die of covid.

(sarcasm intended) its a joke, son!
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Commercial Member

at lookout mtn campground, the pressure at the lower area is 120 lbs. at the upper ares, its 50.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #13

Here's a recent review of RV hoses:

https://www.rvhometown.com/best-rv-water-hoses/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Just a bad or old hose, They do that at times.
I use close to a thousand feet of hose at my place and use a regular hose to fill my tank, do not fill with a hose that has been setting in the sun with water in it. flush out the hose for a few minutes if you have to use it. With the volume that run through the hose the contamination are parts per billion.
I would not use anything but a RV hose to connect to RV that has a line that that lay out in the sun

gibbyid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose