RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #1

RV State Sticker Travel Map

Hi all, this is going to be an opinion question. We just got a new RV, our 4th. We've never had one of those sticker maps, but want to get one. I understand it's a your map your rules, but I'm wondering what people use as criteria to put a sticker in a state. So:
  • How long do you spend in a state before putting on a sticker?
    Do you have to do any specific activities in the state?
    Do you count for all your RV's or just the one the sticker is on?

I'm thinking any state that I've "visited" meaning spent some meaningful time in, patronized local businesses, seen the sites, etc. Not states I've just driven through or stopped for the night. But I really can't decide if it should be just in the new RV, meaning start now with a blank map.

I know there are some older posts discussing this, was looking for some new opinions.

Thanks and best.
helmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

In your case since you're changing RVs, I would use it as you planned - doing something meaningful in the state - but include where you used your previous RV, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV State Sticker Travel Map

Our criteria was we had to camp there. Knowing that we would be changing MH’s before filling in the 49 States and 10 Canadian Provinces , we put in on plexiglass and Velcro’d it to the inside of the door. It was visible to others when the door was open. Today it hangs framed in our S&B.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	315738

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #4

Your sticker, your rules. If I drive through a state, it gets a sticker. Some say they have to spend a night. Others even have different rules.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would feel those stickers, and about every sticker, are resale killers i not mounted in a removable fashion.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
Our criteria was we had to camp there. Knowing that we would be changing MH’s before filling in the 49 States and 10 Canadian Provinces , we put in on plexiglass and Velcro’d it to the inside of the door. It was visible to others when the door was open. Today it hangs framed in our S&B.

Attachment 315738
Excellent ideas!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #7

Ours is a 'manual' continuing dual-purpose map we started with our first TT. States are colored in when we overnight. We also rubber-stamp a little motorcycle on the states we traveled to/thru.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have very rigorous rules. We have to have voted in the state, received a piece of mail, or had a cold beer. You've got to earn them stickers.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #9

As you say "your map your rules" and to each their own way of completing. This is how we've done it in recent years, because we breezed through so many states and provinces in our road warrior working/schooling days.

If we just feel we've breezed through and not experienced any of that state's "known for", we tend to not sticker as visited. If we've stopped and at minimum walked around in a handful of different locations then we sticker it as "visited".

For example, we've done NYC for 3 days several years ago, but the actual state of NY we hadn't really experienced until 2019, so it didn't get stickered until more recently when explored.

The past decade, we try to spend much more time stopping often in each and every state/province we touch, rather than just being destination focused as in the past. This now feels like we can genuinely complete our map as a visited state/province.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

While I was still working, I set a goal of visiting every Hard Rock Cafe. My rule was I had to eat there, to buy a pin and a hat. Now my rule for the map is I have to spend the night. I do like the drink a cold beer rule however
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #11

We started over with the new RV with the new map. Our rule is to spend a night there. Being full timers we are knocking off the states as we travel.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #12

We had to tour the State Capital to qualify.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Lots of great ideas here. Never had one myself but I'm thinking in my rig we’re going to spend the night ‘and’ toast it with a cold one.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #14

It's definitely up to the individual, but for us, the sticker is for any state the RV has been to. We just happen to have stayed overnight in them as well. Day trips in the tow vehicle or other trips without the camper don't count for us.

I enjoy seeing them whenever someone has one posted on their rig.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel