Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fischse...Have you ever owned a business of any sort?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #16

Thank you all for the feedback, glad to hear from other RV'ers. Keep the feedback coming!

Yes, I have business experience specifically with residential real estate but this will be my first attempt on the commercial side. We're getting the engineering work done now, just wanted to ensure I'm able to design in all the features I can upfront and within budget.
Fischse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have a ballpark figure of what your fixed monthly overhead will be?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #18

The biggest issue for us when using storage facilities was unmarked spaces. When we would get back from a trip somebody would be half into our spot. I was a long term renter with a good relationship with the owner and his daughter so he just kept moving the boundary over when one of the offenders left on a trip. I ended up with 12 feet wide and no further problems.
A note about abandoned RVs. Tow it to their house and leave it if they still live there and get a judgement for the unpaid balance.
Some of the previous posts sound like they are willing to spend $500 a month, how many of those really will. A dump station will start a war with the county, don't go there is my advice. Remember that it needs a drain field and that there will be "accidents".
Our retirement house was chosen to keep the 5er next to the house with a 50 amp plug in 8 feet away to avoid the storage hassle.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Some of the previous posts sound like they are willing to spend $500 a month, how many of those really will. A dump station will start a war with the county, don't go there is my advice. Remember that it needs a drain field and that there will be "accidents".
When I was looking at storage places, I asked each if they had a dump station. They all replied with variations of "hahahahah".

It's easy to plumb a spigot. Hard to connect to sewer or septic.

I currently store at the largest in the area. Security is their prime strength, not amenities. Most here have full time on site management.

I would probably not rent from a place that did not have online payment and presence.

I wish I was covered, and I wish my space was bigger. Not sure I am willing to pay for either.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #20

One more thing to consider is the state laws in your state, this is another thing I ran into when looking at doing this a few years ago. In my state apparently due to corruption and abuses in the 1800's the laws that cover such things as for hire storage are written extremely in favor of the person renting the space. I don't recall the exact details, but it goes something like, in case where someone stops paying their rent there is a complex process one must follow which involves sending multiple certified letters, then advertising the abandoned property being sold for auction in the newspaper, holding an auction on a specified date, even after all that the warehouse owner is only allowed to keep the past due rent, and must forward any profits from the auction to the renter. In cases where the renter can not be located the money then must go to the state.

Other states have much simpler laws regarding abandoned property, and allow the warehouse owner to keep profits from the sale of it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #21
OCM

For many years I installed entry,gate, and camera systems for storage lots. The bare bones ones had a level lot, with road base graded, yellow rope staked to the ground for lane markers, fencing with cameras, and most important a entry system that can be monitored on-line with software to manage everything. Done right, you CAN control everything off-site, but the installation is key. Driveway cuts (DOT), sewer/water hookups (City/County) electrical (local power Co.) all come into play. Does DOT require a Acell/Decell lane? Is landscaping required? Zoning allowed? Space for pull-through, or back in. Charge by the foot? Covered by what? Pole barn tin roof, three side cover? If you plan on a dump station or wash rack, check with the local government and EPA. If all these issues can be accommodated, you will have a cash cow. The only reason I haven't done this is age and finding a level lot that will accommodate at least 50 RV/boats.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:49 PM   #22

I'd pay a few $ extra per month for reliable WiFi.

My RV has a a sensor that phones home with with inside/outside temps, humidity and intrusion.

No, I'm not suggesting a fancy WiFi system with gobs of bandwidth for a fulltimer watching Netflix... just a DSL line with enough wireless access points around the storage area would be enough.

Here's the link for a local storage lot in case it might be useful for a few ideas. https: // www.mtolivestorage.com
They have a dump station, propane fill station, U-Haul rental, a wash area, and a resident manager. His DP is parked adjacent to the front gate and he gets free space rent, free water and power, and a parking spot for his car.

Mike
Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #23

i store our trailer in a local storage lot and have become friends with the owner. his biggest complaint is the cost and process of removing abandoned vehicles.

the lot is graded dirt. i asked him about paving it. he laughed. he said there were tons of regulations regarding paving and handling the rain run-off. so that is not going to happen.

make sure your sites are wide enough so the rv's can open their slides. we have slides on both side that we must open in order to access the inside of the trailer.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #24

I am pretty sure you are long gone, but one other thing to check if you are considering indoor storage is insurance. I think you will find that storing vehicles with fuel and propane on board will require a very, very, very expensive insurance rider to the standard commercial policies that storage facilities use.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #25

Ideas from my experience......two level gate pad is a must! Dump station and a clean water fill station would be nice! High fence with good security camera coverage! Under $100 a month.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #26

Allow access to paying members 24/7.... no one likes to arrive back home from a long trip and find the gate locked.

Let them in.....
Old 07-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Allow access to paying members 24/7.... no one likes to arrive back home from a long trip and find the gate locked.

Let them in.....

I kind of thought that was a given, but I guess not. I would NEVER store my RV where I didn't have 24/7x365 access. I'm almost never at my storage spot during "normal business hours".

Tags
storage