Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Storage Woes

We've been renting a spot in a local storage yard for 32 years now - it's about 6 miles from our house and is a really nice secure lot. Over the years the rent has increased regularly and it is up to $150 per month now. A few days ago we received a notice that in January the rent will be increasing to $350 per month, and they will be adding an extra $100 per year for an "administrative fee"! Boy, did THAT take us by surprise!

Here in the SF Bay Area of California RV storage is pretty much at 100% occupancy so we took several days calling and emailing every storage yard within 50 miles, looking for a vacancy at a decent price. Finally found a place that is as secure as our current place, and they want $230 per month, and offer a 10% discount for veterans. It's only 12 miles from the house and they had about 10 spots available, and they offered the first month free - we drove over and signed up yesterday.

Now we can tell the greedy owners of our current place that their more than doubling the rent caused them to lose a long-time tenant!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

I feel for you. I was trying to locate indoor storage here in WI for our class A.

I really lucked out when my brother knew a guy and I have indoor storage with a bunch of old farm tractors and it has power for $100 a month. Very nice concrete floor and lights. Very secure.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #3

Our storage in just a gravel back in. Was 50.00. Going up 10.00. But new renters, it will be 90.00. I don't feel so bad seeing your rate. But storage is real full around here also. Eastern Washington.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Now we can tell the greedy owners of our current place that their more than doubling the rent caused them to lose a long-time tenant!
I hope every other tenant does the same!
Old 11-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

I almost rented an unheated indoor storage unit in Hudson WI, until I read the lease agreement - WI basically caved in to storage unit owners and treat RV storage as putting the unit in a typical storage unit - which means they can remove and sell belongings with 7 day notice if you miss a payment! The WI consumer protection dept recommends RV only be stored in licensed warehouses. Of course, the owner of this storage facility did not want to be licensed as a warehouse. I ended up in MN, outside where they have MN RV storage addendums for storage.
Birdgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Check out the local fairgrounds. They might have some buildings that aren't used during the winter and will store RV's in. Only down side is that the rv goes in and you don't see it until they come out in the spring. The one near me is 100 bucks a month for Oct - Mar for a 40 footer.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are in an old equipment building on a fram. Gravel, good roof, open ends. Our space is about 65 feet long we park so the low winter sun does not hit our motor home. $400 a year.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #8

We were lucky to get an unheated indoor spot at a local lot (15-20 minutes from home) when we first got our coach. Started in 2017 at around $110/month. New ownership raised rates a couple of years back, and I'm now paying around $190, including a 15A plugin. Yeah, would be nice if it were cheaper, but my opinion is that is the single best investment we've made. Our coach is now 5 years old, but you would NEVER guess by looking at her. Still looks pristine (when I wash all the bugs off, anyway.)

Very happy we got in when we did, because it's now VERY tough to find anything indoors at any price around here.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

When looking for storage recently I came across the website called neighbor.com because I was also finding the best storage facilities were filled. Kind of like Airbnb for storage. I ended up finding what I needed elsewhere but I thought it was a viable alternative.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #10

I guess I feel a little lucky. I have been storing my M H since owning it in a 100' x 120' barn which gets filled up in the fall. I put my coach in the barn in early October so I'm back in a far corner out of harm's way. I won't see my coach again until early to mid May but I have no use for it anyway. No access to my coach so I pull the batteries and have filled the gas tank, added Sta-Bil, run the generator out of gas and drained the gas out of the generator's carb. float bowl. Lots of dryer sheets inside and under the engine cover and a bunch of mothballs thrown around under the coach. I've never had a rodent problem.
My wife is in charge of the inside. Every drawer and cupboard gets emptied and everything goes into plastic totes. Some things get stored in our cellar and some gets stored on the floor of the coach's bedroom. Everything gets cleaned to her spotless standards which are high.
I pay $350 for the entire season. The barn is 10 miles from our home.
I just put my 1967 Firebird 400 convertible in storage in a different barn 3 miles from home. It too is prepped for storage as well as anyone could. I've had this car for 38 years and it's totally restored. This car is in a far corner also and the car ahead of it is my daughter's 2010 Camaro. The fee for winter's storage is $200 for the winter season for each vehicle.
I have my own 40' x 60' pole barn here at home but it is full of ATV's, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, and farm equipment as well as two farm tractors and miscellaneous odds and ends there is no room for anything else. I still have to store some equipment outside.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Check out the local fairgrounds. They might have some buildings that aren't used during the winter and will store RV's in. Only down side is that the rv goes in and you don't see it until they come out in the spring. The one near me is 100 bucks a month for Oct - Mar for a 40 footer.
X2 on fairgrounds!! I just took my TT to our fairgrounds this past Monday to have it stored for the season. $250 for the entire winter to be stored. It does suck that you can’t get it out when you want, but it’s better than $250 month for that luxury I suppose.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We've been renting a spot in a local storage yard for 32 years now - it's about 6 miles from our house and is a really nice secure lot. Over the years the rent has increased regularly and it is up to $150 per month now. A few days ago we received a notice that in January the rent will be increasing to $350 per month, and they will be adding an extra $100 per year for an "administrative fee"! Boy, did THAT take us by surprise!

Here in the SF Bay Area of California RV storage is pretty much at 100% occupancy so we took several days calling and emailing every storage yard within 50 miles, looking for a vacancy at a decent price. Finally found a place that is as secure as our current place, and they want $230 per month, and offer a 10% discount for veterans. It's only 12 miles from the house and they had about 10 spots available, and they offered the first month free - we drove over and signed up yesterday.

Were they adding cover for the increase? That's the average rate around here for covered parking.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #13

Wow 32 years paying monthly storage!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

WOW!! And I was almost complaining about $50/month for indoor storage for our 36' coach.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage